What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this AVB worth cooking with?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
4cnhCKG.jpg

I put that little white piece of paper in there so that I could correct the white balance in the photo. This is the exact color that I see with my naked eyes, now. It's kind of like the color of tobacco. Definitely not golden, but not black either. This is from my portable vaporizer, which lists the highest temperature setting at 415° F (213° C). Is it worth making a tincture or something? Or should I just throw it out?

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I vape my flowers until they turn brown then when the proper amount then I add to whatever like butter coconut oil etc do it on low on ya Crock-Pot if ya have one and stir it every hour or so for about 4-5 days and after you strain it it's ready to use also add LECITHIN to help the THC pass the BBB blood brain barrier much more swiftly

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
View Image

I put that little white piece of paper in there so that I could correct the white balance in the photo. This is the exact color that I see with my naked eyes, now. It's kind of like the color of tobacco. Definitely not golden, but not black either. This is from my portable vaporizer, which lists the highest temperature setting at 415° F (213° C). Is it worth making a tincture or something? Or should I just throw it out?
Up 2 U good buddy. They say just use 4 times as U would regularly use. No biggy considering that I name my container "spent"

Swanson

I've had success microwaving oil for one minute in jar then adding vaped weed and stirring heavily. Last batch was about 5g potent lightly vaped bits to 3 oz. of canola oil. Two teaspoon had me pretty sedated. I add it to green tea with milk sometimes. Pretty good tasting but a little oily.

Drewsif

If your vape is working good, the avb is useless. That said, most vapes don't work good. Color doesn't indicate level of extraction but more just time exposed than anything. If it's greasy/tacky ground between the fingers it might have some usefulness.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Y'all, thanks for the replies. Now that I've been using the vape for several months, and have experienced making tinctures out of the AVB, I have decided that it's not worth the effort. Apparently the vape is pretty efficient, and I think I'm getting the majority of the goods out that way. This makes me relax, honestly, because I don't want to be OCD about collecting the AVB. It's so much easier to empty it out into the trash can.

I will say though that I'm stretching each little bowlful out to its maximum... When I fire up the vape, it stays on for 5 minutes and auto shuts off. I usually am able to get 3 full sessions like this on one bowlful, at the vaporizer's highest setting.

I really love vaping. It's so much cleaner. Not only on my lungs, but it's physically cleaner, like, a spill of AVB crumbles is so much easier to clean up than a spill of ash.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Y'all, thanks for the replies. Now that I've been using the vape for several months, and have experienced making tinctures out of the AVB, I have decided that it's not worth the effort. Apparently the vape is pretty efficient, and I think I'm getting the majority of the goods out that way. This makes me relax, honestly, because I don't want to be OCD about collecting the AVB. It's so much easier to empty it out into the trash can.

I will say though that I'm stretching each little bowlful out to its maximum... When I fire up the vape, it stays on for 5 minutes and auto shuts off. I usually am able to get 3 full sessions like this on one bowlful, at the vaporizer's highest setting.

I really love vaping. It's so much cleaner. Not only on my lungs, but it's physically cleaner, like, a spill of AVB crumbles is so much easier to clean up than a spill of ash.
Emmmm, try the compost bin instead :)

Swanson

AVB bhang recipe:
4g AVB
Half cup water
1 cup coconut milk
Pinch garam masala
Pinch black pepper

Lightly heat and strain.
MMM spicy cannabis infused milky goodness

I collect my dynavap avb in a jar. Call it #tokerduff and use 20 gr, fine grinded in my carrot Cupcake recipe (makes 24 Cupcakes). Eat 2 and I get baked. #zerowaste

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Hit it once in the vape - get all the good flavors. Then put the once baked material into the butter.

Come back and tell us it isn't any good.

Bonus points for vaping at around 230*F for the flavor. Clear bag but oh so yummy. Now let the heat go to 360*F and refil the bag to get the good stuff. Tastes a little less flavorful and the bag is white inside instead of clear.

You get a lot more that way in terms of flavor/enjoyment (my opinion only).

That material after all that, when cooked into cookies, is gonna be CBN anyways, which I like.

There is a lot left in there. I think of it as distallation.

G

IMHO ABV that's been slow cooked in coconut oil is best used as a topical.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The goodness remaining has been studied

The goodness remaining has been studied

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J175v04n01_02

From the site: "The HPLC analysis of the vapor found that the Volcano delivered 36%–61% of the THC in the sample, a delivery efficiency that compares favorably to that of marijuana cigarettes."

They used: "Three 200 mg samples of standard NIDA cannabis were vaporized at temperatures of 155°–218°C.", whatever that is. The official MS stuff they use for research looks to me like it has already been baked from the brown color.

IMO you get a much broader and deeper high from a doob, but then it is gone. Vape then butter for cookies for me.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
pooched vaporized bud

pooched vaporized bud

:dunno:I discovered a long forgotton about freezer bag stuffed to the brim with vaporized bud, My temps were always @ 390 F or less, so it's hard to say how much thc and cbd's would be left over.

One thing I know for sure, quantity is on my side.

I decided to find out. Got my hands on a crock pot and a pound of organic butter.

It's slowly simmering on low in a crock pot as I type this....... :biggrin:

I had so much damn vaped bud, my large crock pot wasn't big enough to hold it all. I only used maybe 2/3 of the bag.

At present, it has the consistency of tar. I'm, checking on it every hour, adding H2O when needed.

I feel like Walter White making it........ :pimp3:

RMS

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone, so not wanting to deal with the left over bag, I somehow managed to stuff its remaining contents into the mix.

It smells REALLY dank and powerful.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I use a quart of AVD per pound of butter, sometimes I add half a stick if it is getting too thick. I try not to let it get too much of the yellow bubbles (too hot). That much fits nicely in my $10 WMT rice cooker, which has two temps. There is room to dd water if you want to stew that way.

I have stewed on water and without water. The water gets awful nasty brown looking from who knows what, and in the interface between the chilled water and butter is who knows what, maybe cream. I think stewing without water makes more potent butter. Also the cookies I bake with the butter are fluffier when no water is used.

When you strain out the butter the remaining "mash" makes OK brownies for people without stash. I give it away. The water method mash is trash IMO.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I use a quart of AVD per pound of butter, sometimes I add half a stick if it is getting too thick. I try not to let it get too much of the yellow bubbles (too hot). That much fits nicely in my $10 WMT rice cooker, which has two temps. There is room to dd water if you want to stew that way.

I have stewed on water and without water. The water gets awful nasty brown looking from who knows what, and in the interface between the chilled water and butter is who knows what, maybe cream. I think stewing without water makes more potent butter. Also the cookies I bake with the butter are fluffier when no water is used.

When you strain out the butter the remaining "mash" makes OK brownies for people without stash. I give it away. The water method mash is trash IMO.

What is the best, most effective way to strain out the butter from the mix, or "mash"......???

I have this massive blob that has over taken my kitchen. Despite adding water and stirring, it looks like tar. It almost looks like it will grow legs and walk away before I can somehow squish it.

RMS

:smoweed:

pinkus

Veteran
The consistency of already vaped bud can make it hard to keep from breaking up and turning butter or coconut oil to mud. I try to bypass this by extracting with everclear, filtering, and then pouring that into a crock pot, water, coconut oil, and a quantity of unextracted leaf material and heat it all up, stirring occasionally. The leaf material is mostly in there to help keep the oil from forming a cap that keeps the water from evaporating.

After it cooks down, treat it just like any other batch. In my case, I strain the weed out and retain the liquids. Put the liquids in the fridge over night. Then take the hardened oil off the top and discard the dirty water.

You could use it now, but I always re dissolve in hot water and stir it up well, so that as much oil comes into contact with water as possible, then back into the fridge. The oil will be much cleaner after this step. :shooty: