What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TRSC Chitrali, Tropical

Green

Veteran
Aloha everybody,

19 degrees N. Tropics

TRSC Chitrali, Pakistan Chitral Valley
P2 second generation
20 individuals

Idea: Robert Clark, DJ short, and Sam Skunkman and many others have discussed landrace varaities acclimizing to their new home beyond the second and third generation are no longer the same, and generaly in a negative context. Majority of this time it was in reference to cultivating and acclimating tropical cultivators at mid latitudes.

Hypothesis: Acclimate a WLD "indica" to the tropics beyond the P2 and P3 generation with selection to the end goal of unique dankness. This is a mirror theory of the above paragraph.

First generation Chitrali were planted June 1st 2016. All were Open pollinated. All went straight to flower and ended up like disappointing little 20cm lollipops. As what happens when growing anything of non equatorial origins in a tropical photoperiod. The deep well of genetics Chitrali possessed, was my last hope. But this cultivator too, failed me, I then swore off growing any WLD varieties and had to retire to my sexy equatorial thin leaf cultivators.

I recalled speaking to an old hippie years before. He told me back in the 70s their crops would adapt to the tropics after a couple of seasons. I thought to myself, what the hell. Maybe epigenetics exist? And not some binary code of genes.Maybe they can learn to adapt to a foreign land? Maybe the progeny is part of this new foreign land? How much adaptive plasticity does cannabis posses? And in particular these Chitrali P2 OP seeds.

June 1st 2017, I went ahead last minute and threw some Chitrali P2 OP seeds in some dirt. I would Carry on with this experiment. To my delight the majority did not turn into auto flowering 20cm plants. But they vegged with the tropical photoperiod and finished 1.5 to 2 meter plants.
25% auto flowered and were culled
25% harvested early September
25% harvested mid September
25% harvested early October

All females were pollinated on selected branches by 3 Chitrali p2 males.

Everything is in jars curing. Will smoke test individuals from the mid Sept to early Oct. for selection on the P3 generation.

picture.php

View image in gallery

weedtoker

Veteran
Subbed, this is gonna be a long one, but I'm to curious to see it unfold wherever it goes as far as goals, as I've got no experience with those latitudes. Keep it up!

cheers

troutman

Seed Whore
You should have vegetated the plants indoor for at least month prior to sending them into flowering them outdoors.
Then you would have had taller plants. I think that's one downfall from plants which come from more Northern areas.
They flower right away when exposed to reduced photoperiods of tropical areas.

Green

Veteran
Pepe- thanks I am curious as well.

Weed toker- Thanks, I’m just having fun and doing some exploring.

Hey troutman, should I? - why not grow everything indoors? hehe. I wouldn’t have posted about this project if I was vegging indoors. Many people grow like that here. Trust me I have many other different cultivators that veg and turn in to 3-4 m trees with the tropical photoperiod. many cultivators.... planted in April and harvest into November some into December some into January. Lol besides I live off grid have no electricity, The point is I’m working strictly with the natural tropical photo period. That’s kinda of the whole idea.

Meizzwang- thanks,

Last edited:

meizzwang

Green: Out of curiosity, how many seeds did you originally start with in the P1 generation? Also, did you see any individuals in the P2 generation that showed no signs of rot?

thejact55

Do you have a large variation in smells? My run with this strain produced a huge varation, every plant had its own unique scent.
They look good, i am also curious on the rot question.

Green

Veteran
Meizzwang- the first generation was a ten pack, if I remember correctly 3-4 females and 3-4 males all open pollinated.

Jact55- surprisingly Yes I had a huge variation on every aspect in the p2 generation. The fresh floral smells ranged from pink bubble gum/cotton candy to sweet earthy hash. I’m guessing that the Chitrali have a wide genetic base.

In regards to bud rot. Out of the p2 gen. I got around 2-3% bud rot. Which seems quite acceptable growing something from Pakistan in the Hawaiian rain forest. For the record I’ve seen other cultivators totally destroyed by bud rot. Mostly modern hybrids.

Land

Did you get any gassy smells? I had some gassy floral tangy aromas on mine grown in New England USA.

Cheers!

therevverend

Veteran
I had a couple buddies, twins, who moved to Hawaii from the PNW. Brought their excellent indoor Indica strains with them. They had to do exactly what Green describes. Reverse engineer their plants to flower longer and adjust to the tropical day length. They reported the same thing, many plants would Autoflower and be culled. They'd select the ones that didn't. Breed those together a few times, of course selecting for favorable traits and you've got an excellent new Hawaiian strain.

I'm the opposite. I want to select from long flowering strains for earliness, keeping yield, vigor, mold resistance, and potency to harvest earlier. The problem is you need 50-100 plants and I'm stuck with a plant count of 15. Life's rough in the legal world of cannabis..

Green

Veteran
Greetings friends,

Thanks for digging up this old thread on my allochthonous landrace project. Its been a pleasure to grow and to observe first hand the shift and adaptive nature of cannabis over a few years.

These photos are from the past grow season and are P3 generation and 3rd year using the natural photoperiod selecting the latest individuals. Sown June 1st and harvested Oct 3rd. 2018

Notable mention, these plants survived 2 hurricanes, one of which dropped a meter of rain in two days.

The P4, forth generation is scheduled this summer. these buds make superior canna infused chocolate fudge... The wife loves them.

H

hunter77

hello green they look very good do you still have a go with the hashplants :)

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Very nice plants, but those seem to have a surprisingly high sativa influence for Chitrali/Yarkhun plants. Keep it up!

Irie! :wave:

CannaZen

About what to expect from resin production very cool thanks for sharing. I really dig the plants.