What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

terps: total bullshit or part of the buzz?

PDX Dopesmoker

I still have yet to be convinced that terps have any substantial impact on how high you get or on the specific qualities of the inebriation. A lot of people seem to be utterly convinced that what your stuff tastes like is a big component of buzz quality. What experiences have those people toked up on that I've missed? I can tell the difference between sleepy old weed and relatively fresh stuff, is that due to the flavor changes during curing or does CBN play a role in making one drowsy?
What if the terpene profile of your weed matched manure to a tee, what kind of buzz would those total bullshit terps produce?
I've smoked dogshit before, I liked that buzz, but it was suspiciously similar to all the other high THC stuff out there.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Try it sometime. I dipped my Jilly Bean rosin in some Skywalker OG terps and it changed from an upbeat cerebral high to a more stony high.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I was recently gifted some terp infused (Lemon Haze) weed, it took very little (I'd add it to my bong hits) to make a huge difference in the high; very heady buzz, I'm wishing I had some more of that now.......

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What experiences have those people toked up on that I've missed? I can tell the difference between sleepy old weed and relatively fresh stuff, is that due to the flavor changes during curing or does CBN play a role in making one drowsy?
Honestly? It sounds like you really haven't come across clean and well grown cannabis. Cannabis is naturally high in terpenes but most growers muck it up and terpene content is low.

Terpene rich cannabis? Depending on the profile, I'll take moderate THC, terpene rich cannabis over high THC, low terpene cannabis... any day of the week. Terpene profile has a significant impact on the effect you get from the cannabis.

This cut of Canna-Tsu? Improved memory, focus, mood-control, pain-control, anxiety control and more. Only some of which can be attributed to THC:CBD. Still not convinced? How can you tell the difference between an indica and a sativa, when they're both 14:8, THC:CBD? Terpenes. :tiphat:

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I would for myself call bullshit to all the terpene/taste/smell allegations.

Been doing this shit for a long time and it is all about the high myself.

oh and elitism...my weed's better than your weed, my weed's better than yours...bullshit.

minds_I

Apart from Myrcene, which some anecdotal evidence suggests it may potentiate the effects of THC, terpenes have little or no effect on the high. Terpenes obviously effect the quality of experience when smoking or vaping etc.

The widely different highs we get from different Cannabis is due the overall mix of Cannabinoids. THC comes in several psychoactive forms, plus there is CBD, CBC, CBG, CBN and many more, all of which work in synergy to produce the high we experience from a particular sample.

Last edited:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
science will reveal reality in the end but logic can reveal that some of the totalitarian mind sets on the forum are counter intuitive to what science has taught us

there are simple direct and universal and then some effects that only some of us experience

two great examples are THC & CBD

in the most simple of examples if two people smoke pot with a beneficial level of cbd all other things equal if one person has an ailment that benefits from cbd and the other does not one will get more benefit from the weed that the other will not experience at all

this is one of those subtle nuances that people used to argue about until science explained the physiological difference in response

the fact that there is a myriad of combinations between constituents, the ratios of those constituents which have varying effects on physiology it really boggles my mind people are limited to how it effects them still and only them still

especially when the magnificence of this plant is the variability in medicinal compounds and effects

when I joined the forums it wasn't legal for testing, still in it's infancy as far as medical discovery

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
gotta squeeze this in Weird.

Awesome post & analogy Weird, but as it's still listed as a Schedule I drug cannabis is still legally unavailable for testing that the federal govt would recognize; combine that with the current administration's (Jeff Sessions) feeling's towards cannabis and it's 'welcome to the dark ages' all over again.

'We the people' are welcome and willing to embrace news of the benefits from any valid scientists(s), probably working in either a 'legal' state or somewhere overseas where cannabis is less demonized.

btw! there is a very simple way to determine if a study that you're reading has been performed by federally hired scientists (on an agenda of course), or legit scientists trying to uncover and discover actual truths.

Here it is: if the Feds were involved in a/the study then the word 'marijuana' will be used, and sometimes nearly exclusively. Feds just can't let go of that moniker for weed; and at the same time they're opposed to, and hate the legitimacy and the complaisant/sedate sound of the scientific name 'cannabis'.

MARIJUANA = Reefer Madness, Devil's Harvest etc... all the bad shit that mindless law enforcement, dunce doctors, school administrators & others will eat up... :yoinks:

CANNABIS = medicine, innocuousness, peace :ying:

nothing scares politicians or cops more than the threat of peace.......

theJointedOne

Veteran
its called the 'entourage' effect

have you ever smelled a vial of pure cannabis derived terpenes? you dont just smell it, you feel it.

G

Gr33nSanta

Iv read that eating a mango can change the high from the myrcene in the fruit

mostly a myth, for one most mangoes are not even high in myrcene. I d recommend you all watch Ethan Rousseau's talk on bubbleman youtube page.

Terpenes are no jokes.

G

Gr33nSanta

Hello all,

I would for myself call bullshit to all the terpene/taste/smell allegations.

Been doing this shit for a long time and it is all about the high myself.

oh and elitism...my weed's better than your weed, my weed's better than yours...bullshit.

minds_I

then my weed is better than yours :tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

have you ever smelled a vial of pure cannabis derived terpenes? you dont just smell it, you feel it.

I've never smelled a vial of terps but I have been run out of the house by 3 fresh hanging plants! Orange Glue, if you will, was cut & hanging while myself & another were trimming other buds. We were both becoming anxious & restless & were having a difficult time holding scissors steady enough to do a decent trim job.
We vacated the house and about 30 minutes later we were back to normal again. We took the remainder of the day off.

Terps & their effects are real!

positivity

Veteran
When you pick a soda, do you have a favorite?
A beer?
Wine?
Food?
Air freshener?
Favorite deodorant?
New car smell or hippy sleeping in the back?
Wet dog or dry dog?
Favorite perfume or cologne?

Its good when something smells and tastes really nice, elevates the experience

Wouldn't doubt the entourage effect either. If nothing else its probably a sign of how well something was grown. Sick plants generally don't smell much compared to when their healthy. There's even different levels of healthy. There's the "nice plant! Green leaves!" then there's the "duuude, I smelled that down the road... Can I touch it"

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Wouldn't doubt the entourage effect either. If nothing else its probably a sign of how well something was grown. Sick plants generally don't smell much compared to when their healthy. There's even different levels of healthy. There's the "nice plant! Green leaves!" then there's the "duuude, I smelled that down the road... Can I touch it"
You've got that right... lol healthy, happy plants freaking REEEEEEEEEK! lol

PDX Dopesmoker

Thats just a brief headrush high from doing inhalants. I do appreciate that the volatiles which evaporate so readily from tasty materials probably aids the THC laden resin in my lungs on it's journey from the lungs to my bloodstream. They taste nice too.
I wonder if terpene profile has any effect on the THC to CBN transformation process, if that were the case then some strains could age or metabolize quicker than others. Of course thats just THC-inspired speculation and nobody has ever posted anything pro or con on that connection as far as I've ever seen.
Until then I'll have to continue to believe that the entourage effect is created by the entourage of cannabinoids with known effects on inebriation state, but I'm open to being convinced that I'm wrong.

Easy7

Veteran
It's strange. Some terps although appealing have added nothing to the experience. Others seem to add some body and vibration to the experience. When reading about terps, it's suggested that there are medical properties.

Suppose it's like drinking watered down ethanol verses a nice beer. Or just plain flour verses a nice loaf of bread. Pizza on a cracker or pizza on some good ethnic dough brick fired?

Many many parts of the experience. I find that plant health has a lot to do with the enjoyment.

Betterhaff

Veteran
One time in the Carib, I hooked up with a steel drum band. Each guy had his own and kept telling me “mine's better” as they were passing me their J’s. I don’t think it was elitism, it was just the way they were. It was hilarious and I got high as hell.

stim

If you eat a meal you really enjoy you get a natural "high" from it. That is terps. As far as the science is concerned the placebo effect and entourage effect are very real. Myrcene has the most solid contribution to "effects" of a strain be it inducing sleep or increasing the saturation capacity of the cb1 receptor for maximum psychoactive effects. steephill labs:https://www.steephill.com/science/terpenes