What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Regular Autoflowers?

NemanHarpoon

Hi!

Does anyone can enlighten me why so many breeders/companies carry just feminized autoflower seeds,the main reason I believe is because of wanted repeated customers,coming back and buying same stuff next year. Of course you can make your own seeds with colloidal silver,but in my experience feminized seeds sometimes lack a vigorous growth when comparing to regular stock.:)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi!

Does anyone can enlighten me why so many breeders/companies carry just feminized autoflower seeds,the main reason I believe is because of wanted repeated customers,coming back and buying same stuff next year. Of course you can make your own seeds with colloidal silver,but in my experience feminized seeds sometimes lack a vigorous growth when comparing to regular stock.:)
True. Most growers don't seem to want to take the time (~18-25 days) to see if male or female. Or, they lack adequate room growing them. Since we do only regular seeds, hope someone else will chime in for their reasoning on this subject.

Iv been wondering this for some time now...
Why and when did autos become the "thing" I really do understand myself.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this subject for all of us who don't get the hype.

Regular ol seed FTW i my book!

ISM2

...but in my experience feminized seeds sometimes lack a vigorous growth when comparing to regular stock.:)

I have experienced the same thing and am considering no longer purchasing feminized seeds.

...pulling-up a chair for this one.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unless a breeder specifically states that they created Auto Fems for the purpose of obtaining repeat customers, this is only speculation. Regular seed breeders like repeat customers too. Hell, if you are retailing anything, you want repeat customers... It's a marketing thing more than a control thing. Of course, this is MY opinion.

The reality I see is breeders making a product that lazy growers are asking for. This is the majority of the FEM market, not the auto market.

Autos have their own advantages without FEMing them.

As for the Fems being slower/less vigorous, idk, I've very little experience with Fems. That is going to be changed this up & coming season & I hope to debunk, what I believe at this time to be, a myth. (More marketing tactics)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm guessing the majority of autoflower growers are also guerrilla growers. Only in the last few years have I seen a growing number of indoor growers using autos regularly.

Unless you're pre-sexing with clones and such (not something you do with autos), much simpler/more-economical to get max value from the holes you prepped by only putting in females.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most of our customers are 60% indoor, 40% outdoor...of that 40%....maybe 1/4th of them are guerilla growers.

amanda88

420giveaway
I do use Femi nized seeds

and do herm them with marginal results

last successfully done with aspirin foilar applied

often many of the latest 'commercial' seeds are very unstable for further use

IMO:

the advantage of being a returning customer is you intend to get stronger weed

higher THC content in plants

Cheers/

DIRT DIGGLER

My first post on here in years..

I have been breeding autos for a longtime..auto m39,auto godzilla grape,auto critical mass
Currently working on a supersilver haze auto...always using regular seeds.
All of the above strains have come from photo x auto seedlines and inbred until the auto trait is fixed.takes a lot of time.

So from my point of view,fems are easy..

Any hack can find two nice females reverse whichever one floats they're boat and pollinate the other disired female and tada..another shawty autoflower seed company arrives on the scene...

It takes a lot more attention and frankly luck to find good auto flowering males..and when you do find one you squeeze him for every micron of pollen...cuz he's not clonable.also you never know what you got until testing begins.

I'm rambling..anyway it's harder to spot a good male and pretty easy to find some nice ladies to reverse.

Always smoke your males.

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
If fems fit your situation then fine, i don't think they're evil per se.
But simply look at seed prices... they're beyond ridicolous.
My suggestion is to buy regular and always make some seedruns to stock your own seeds.
When you realize how many seeds you can produce just from a single plant you'll never look back. It' easy to understand why fems are better from seed sellers point of view...

Peace

=K

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
again, auto nubie ... I'm not very bright when it comes to crosses (AxB=D) but is there a reason pollen from a photoperiod male wouldn't work on auto fem or reg females?
Like -> GGAuto X GG = ??

wouldn't it be like humans, short people do produce tall offspring...

NemanHarpoon

Any hack can find two nice females reverse whichever one floats they're boat and pollinate the other disired female and tada..another shawty autoflower seed company arrives on the scene...
It takes a lot more attention and frankly luck to find good auto flowering males..and when you do find one you squeeze him for every micron of pollen...cuz he's not clonable.also you never know what you got until testing begins.

That is exactly what I thought, once autos break the surface they are already on the countdown. You can't reveg them in case you find some traits you want to capture.

Thank you guys for sharing your opinions and insight,great community forum here with huge amount of knowledge. :)

NemanHarpoon

again, auto nubie ... I'm not very bright when it comes to crosses (AxB=D) but is there a reason pollen from a photoperiod male wouldn't work on auto fem or reg females?
Like -> GGAuto X GG = ??

wouldn't it be like humans, short people do produce tall offspring...

...I have read on this forum somewhere that it would work, but only around 25% of newly harvested seeds would have an autoflowering trait.

NemanHarpoon

...I have read on this forum somewhere that it would work, but only around 25% of newly harvested seeds would have an autoflowering trait.

I said it wrong.

MJPassion wrote in thread "Making Auto seeds mixing strains" ;

" Auto x Photo = 100% Photo F1
F1 x F1 = 25% Auto, 75% Photo
Selected Auto F2 x Selected F2 auto should yield 100% Auto F3.
Selected F3 Auto x Original Auto = 100% Auto flowering back cross"

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I said it wrong.

MJPassion wrote in thread "Making Auto seeds mixing strains" ;

" Auto x Photo = 100% Photo F1
F1 x F1 = 25% Auto, 75% Photo
Selected Auto F2 x Selected F2 auto should yield 100% Auto F3.
Selected F3 Auto x Original Auto = 100% Auto flowering back cross"
thanks, too much for me to unlearn..:tiphat:
I cant do it outside or then maybe I'd give it a go but photos in my set up, bad run is 5zs / plant avg. couple more weeks but I'm not in it for money, just me and a few other happy, military made PTSD brothers.. going to cook up some Malawi cobs soon..