What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freezing water on roots

Ok so happen to read a post on FB from a fellow Colorado resident that posted a picture and commented about ice flushing twice at the end. He did the ice flush on his least trichy plant, got positive results and applied it to all of them. Claims it's a little bit of stress, but totally worth it. Claims within 24 hrs the plants were noticeably more trichy and denser. Another grower from Headstash gardens commented, "that is what a good cold snap can do."

I asked if there was anything to back up those claims and his response was it has been discussed online before and it's just a little trick like low stress technique. Headstash gardens commented that people in colorado including other growers who he consulted with that it has worked to increase trich production at the very end. Another grower (Clone master)confirmed that it works great. Both growers used organic methods of growing with teas and soil that commented on this method of cold flushing with ice. Believe some respondents are master growers on Medical and Req side of things.

They did not back the claims with scientific studies but with observations made on the spot over the last few years.

Hope that helps.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sam, thanks for response.
I can PM you some details if ok for you?
It is ok with me but I think you need 50 posts to use the PM, I can not PM you yet, I just tried. You can email me at Sam_Skunkman@hotmail.com That is Sam_Skunkman, I just made the account and will not use it again after you contact me. Thanks.
-SamS

I have not much information,but my uncle will be able to tell you everything he knows. He went and got seed from farmers and breeders. He is an aid/refugee worker, so he brings resources/aid into country, without gov redtape and tax . different type of smuggling i suppose.hahaha

He knows most of the ghan inside out, trying to get medicines and tents, educational equipment to hard to reach places. He knows all the right people/tribes to move freely with no worries, apart from drones. I bet he would love to chat to you about certain things. He has seeds from Tajik and Uzbek and all over ghan and also certain areas in pakistan .
My seeds are from my uncle, the seeds are from near where we come from. ie our hometown. he will give you better details than i can.

P.S. incase you were not informed by them. I knew

Have a great weekend.
X

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Ok so happen to read a post on FB from a fellow Colorado resident that posted a picture and commented about ice flushing twice at the end. He did the ice flush on his least trichy plant, got positive results and applied it to all of them. Claims it's a little bit of stress, but totally worth it. Claims within 24 hrs the plants were noticeably more trichy and denser. Another grower from Headstash gardens commented, "that is what a good cold snap can do."

I asked if there was anything to back up those claims and his response was it has been discussed online before and it's just a little trick like low stress technique. Headstash gardens commented that people in colorado including other growers who he consulted with that it has worked to increase trich production at the very end. Another grower (Clone master)confirmed that it works great. Both growers used organic methods of growing with teas and soil that commented on this method of cold flushing with ice. Believe some respondents are master growers on Medical and Req side of things.

They did not back the claims with scientific studies but with observations made on the spot over the last few years.

Hope that helps.

I don't know what to do as you did not see the work but you seem to believe them, so might I. Maybe I should list it as reported but not seen? If anyone else has seen or heard about this good or bad please post. If you know others that have any info please get them to post.

Also everyone that I have listed or not, can you let me know if the plants treated were India WLD, or Sativa NLD, or a Indica/Sativa hybrid, WLD/NLD? Let me know the info and I will update the list on post#1 in this thread. Then maybe we can see if that makes a difference or not.
-SamS

Last edited:

MIMedHead

Medman has made multiple comments about ice and cold water flushes. He would be a good person to collect info from about this topic. I like to use a chiller at the end of runs to lower water temps I feel like it would happen in nature colder rains and all. More resin hard to say without better microscopes or resin tests otherwise its all hearsay and eye oponions.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I would like to get info from anyone that has done this, even better if they used controls with the same clone that did not get any cold water and did not respond at all. Then if the 2 different samples could be tested via GC we would have an answer base on real science we could all believe in. If the increase comes after only a few days of cold water treatment then the resin increase is not just because the bud yield is less. I will admit I was/am pretty sceptical, but I will try and see if we can get to the bottom of this, one way or another. If people who have done this with Indicas WLD, or Indica/Sativa WLD/NLD hybrids and had success maybe we need to try a few different kinds of Sativas NLD, to see if it works on them? With a control or two that are the same NLD clone/clones but not treated with cold water. Try and find pure Sativas, NLD, not like for example Nevils haze that has Indica WLD blood in it. Try and find a real Sativa NLD with no Indica WLD at all.
Anyone can ask me if a variety is only Sativa NLD and I will try and answer if I can.
Interesting....
-SamS

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Just treated the plant with water that was full of ice, left it sitting for a while to get ice cold before I watered.
Watching the plant in the microscope for changes. So far no visible.
Any idea how long time I should be treating with ice water for the result, or how long time the plant should take on giving a reaction?

All the best
BagAppeal

Not sure from a few days to a week, at the end?
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If everyone I listed on page one first post can tell me if the clone they tried was Indica WLD. Sativa NLD, or a Indica/Sativa WLD/NLD hybrid, the info might help.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
My theory is not proven but i said if there are less plant fiber and the same amount of trichomes it will be closer togheter and appear better for better(better effect,taste and worse(loose a little yield). If what i say is right u loose a little yield for a theoretically better smoke.

I wonder are the last extra trichomes created under colder conditions clear or are they amber and cloudy?

i also dont go for bag appeal alone. I know a little and i know you know more so just tell me when im wrong:)

Also i think what some of you mean by cold is not really cold at all. I have had plants survive 3 days of snow and still live 10-20 days til next snowfall and then slowly start to wilt when the ground is covered in snow that dont melt i live i Norway but i know this should happen in northern afghan mountains.
As long as they get strong light (light in the north has a higher blue spectrum and longer daylight hours 14.5 hours in the night during summer and 16-17.5 during fall. Also very very strong light at start and end of light spectrum. Also higher solar radiation levels.
they should have no problem to cope in cold temps down to 8-12 c as long as the ground dont hardfreeze.

Plants can stand 10C easy, most have no problems at 5C, but they do not grow or mature the same, some do better and as soon as they warm up continue to grow every day it is warm. Some get very freaked out by the cold and dont want to grow right for 24 hours it seems, in that case with cold every night further flowering growth and even resin frosting can be pretty much over. Sativas NLD, do seem more negatively effected by cold in my experience. I will say that in my experience young seedlings are much more tolerent of freezing cold air temps then adult plants of the same variety. I have seen snow fall on very young seedlings with out any damage many times. When they warm back up they just keep on growing, adults can freeze and the leaves, flowers turn black and can turn into black wet slime, useless.
-SamS

-SamS

Last edited:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doesnt it tame time for trichomes to produce thc? If people are saying they sue ice water the last couple days are shit loads of trichromes supposed to show up that the plant has been growing for 10 weeks? If a shit load of trichromes were produced in the last couple days due to ice flushing wouldnt they need time to produce thc?

Gry

I too have read of this, and thought it was asking a bit much in rather short period of time.
It was on a thread by medman, and he sure felt positive about it.

Anders89

Would putting snow on top of the soil indoor mimic the same as ice in a hydrosetup?

Do melted snow contain anything bad for the plant?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sure it can.
An' don't you eat that yellow snow....

Dreamed I was an Eskimo
Frozen wind began to blow
Under my boots and around my toes
The frost that bit the ground below
It was a hundred degrees below zero

And my mama cried
And my mama cried
Nanook, a-no-no
Nanook, a-no-no
Don't be a naughty Eskimo
Save your money, don't go to the show

Well I turned around and I said oh, oh oh
Well I turned around and I said oh, oh oh
Well I turned around and I said ho, ho
And the northern lights commenced to glow
And she said, with a tear in her eye
Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow
Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow
-SamS

mofeta

Veteran
....Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow
-SamS

That album has some of my favorite guitar playing of all time. The tune right after that one, called "Nanook Rubs It" (it's the one where Nanook blinds the evil fur trapper by rubbing the yellow snow in his eyes) has some really wicked licks.

Anders89

qs1awh.jpg

On occasion you can see this outside the window where i live:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smO4g0ax9BE

What song is quoted?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
View Image

On occasion you can see this outside the window where i live:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smO4g0ax9BE

What song is quoted?

Frank Zappa, "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" on the 1974 APOSTROPHE(') album, I love it but my favorite Zappa song is "trouble everyday" on their First album, 1966, Freak Out. It just tore me up, still does.
Zappa lived just a block away from me, he lived in the Log Cabin, Tom Mix's old place, when I lived in Laurel Canyon, I used to hang out and listen to them practice, mostly at a rented rehearsal stage in town. I must have seen Zappa a hundred times, like the time I was at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium and I did not have a ticket and I saw Franks dad Francis Vincent Zappa, "Frank" to his friends, and said hello, he asked did I have a ticket? I said no, so he gave me one of his, as he was on the guest list, we sat in the first row together. The photo on the cover of the "Hot Rats " Album cover was Christine Frka, my girlfriend before she became a babysitter for Zappas kids. Joni Mitchel had a house a few hundred feet away from the Log Cabin, I used to sit on her front porch and listen to Gram Nash, David Crosby, Steven Stills and others jam with her. "My house is a very nice house, with two cats in the yard"
Is about her place.
My next door neighbor in Laurel Canyon in 1969 was the "Rockets" who then became "Crazy Horse" and they went on to fame with Neil Young...
So many rock and roll folks lived in Laurel Canyon back then it was unbelievable, we took it as daily life running into them daily at the Canyon Country Store ....
Mama Cass lived under the store for a while....Jim Morrison and his girlfriend Pamela lived right behind the store, Erik Burdon lived up the street, Mike Bloomfield, so many, I can't remember them all.....
Jimi Hendrix used to hang out in Hollywood frequenting a club called "the Experience" He would get up and jam, but he was often pretty drunk when he jammed, still great....
I was there and remember most of it....
Like the time I was on Sunset Boulevard in November 1966 and the police tried to enforce the 10:00 curfew for under 18 year olds, everyone under 18 ran into the club Pandora's Box, me included, the police surrounded it and tried to wait out the people inside to bust them, they had buses ready to haul them away, but instead they got a small riot of the several thousand over 18 year olds pissed at the cops. All the kids in Pandora's Box waited until midnight and all the cops left and the kids all left and went home, free.

Steven Stills wrote a song about it,
"For What Its Worth"

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind

I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound

What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side

It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away

We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, now, what's that sound
Stop, children, what's that sound

October 6 1966 was the date they made LSD a felony, on the strip that night people were giving away acid to anyone saying eat it quick, it is now illegal.
Life.......

-SamS

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grow in a protected unheated shelter Sam which uses lights to control day length and it gets very cold in the winter. So much so that varieties that are susceptible to the cold won't bud up but will still use small amounts of nutriment and potosynshtate to keep alive although not able to make sinsemilla in some instances they still are able of perform life functions like propagation of the next generation. My pots often get down to 3c and even below that which is freezing point. Some plants tolerate this extreme conditioning and some do as above Sam. They all grow shit weed compared to the crystal coated indoor grown.

I think that it is a hoax and I haven't a plant to test it on or a GC to give you an accurate set of figures for analysis. Having said that boiling water won't make more resin and neither will a dying room. Plant processes require stimuli to promote growth responses.

This is NLD/WLD and 50-50's

What answers did you desire from page 1.

I have data, I got no GC Sam.

I notice the strugglers in cold environments that pull through have a lower flower to leaf ratio compared to the same clone in "Perfect conditions'.

Tester:....................... . Dave
Number of Clones...........3 varieties of 6 clones of each
WLD, NLD, WLD/NLD.......^^^
Controls untreated?.........photoperiod & dayclock
Cold water time period.. whole cycle
Increased Colors.......Yes functioning plants & non functioning plants showed nutrient problems from lockout and some were paler
reduced yield............yes & no
Increased resin.........no
Intersex?.................Yes
extra dark hrs?.........no (See above)

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just dont see how a plant spends 10 weeks building up desireable levels of thc and anyone could expect a mass production of trichs in a couple days...

The trichs that form first dont get me high and the affects steadily increase overtime. So why would cold water magically make a shitload of trichs in a few days with alot of thc in them?

If that was the case when your plant starts makin trichs you could give em cold water a few days then harvest.. lol.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I guess in short, even if it magically spurred alot of trichs to form wouldnt they need ten weeks or so to produce any meaningful thc? They arent growing amber or cloudy trichs... They would be making fresh clear ones that need time to mature eh? IF at all?