What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed Sprout Tea the EASY way

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Been trying to use health food store seed for this experiment and failed. just ordered 5lbs barley from ebay to try this out in my organic grow. im switching to 12/12 next week so should be here in time for the first 3 weeks of the cycle

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
trying to sprout these - on round two
doing the clac instructions to the t -
how many days does it take this stuff to sprout ?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have never done SST...next time I go to organic nursery I will buy some seeds and give it a go..thanks...yeehaw

theJointedOne

Veteran
Really gonna implement this into my foliage sprays, both veg and flower, come next year.

Couple questions for those that might know; first, can I sprout a blend of seed, for example alfalfa and barley? Or does it have to be a single variety? Second, do you only spray with this or do you do soil drench as well? Third, is there any chance of overdoing it with the enzymes ect?

Thanks

TheOutlawTree

If anyone wants to learn more, specifically exact recipes go to buildasoil.com and jeremy has all the recipes on the website written down originally from clackamas coot.

I have been buying my seeds, and coconut / aloe powder from them. After doing some quick research on bulk seeds for sprout tea's- its definitely alot cheaper to source them in 50lb bags elsewhere... But if your just trying to do an indoor grow and dont need bulk there deals are more than fair. Next year for my outdoor grow i will source my seeds in bulk.

TheOutlawTree

Really gonna implement this into my foliage sprays, both veg and flower, come next year.

Couple questions for those that might know; first, can I sprout a blend of seed, for example alfalfa and barley? Or does it have to be a single variety? Second, do you only spray with this or do you do soil drench as well? Third, is there any chance of overdoing it with the enzymes ect?

Thanks

I strictly use these to water in. I have never foliar sprayed them. In fact it may be very hard to spray unless you blend, and then strain / press the liquid through a filter. I'm pretty sure these SST's are meant to be drenched- and not fed through irrigation systems or anything that can clog.

I dont think theres an issue with mixing them, but you should definitely follow the recipes to a certain degree, im pretty sure the testing has already been done and these are the baseline amounts to start with. I have mixed them all in the same SST with nothing but great results. I am not sure about overdoing the barley or corn- but supposedly you can definitely overdue the alfalfa (triacontanol).

I haven't done enough research about triacontanol as i should- but i remember reading it can cause your plants structure to completely change depending on dosage- It can turn a lanky strain into a bushy stocky plant- or a bushy plant into a lanky plant. I used it during the transition to flower (day 3) because its supposed to tighten the nodes during stretching.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Yea I thought it was used mostly as a foliage feed, and yea the tea would be filtered through mesh so no clogging ect

Dkgrower

Veteran
thx to all for the nice info, is necessary to process the barley sprouts in a blender in order to make a tea or can I make a tea from the barley sprouts as they are?

Peace BH

I think its best to mash it with a bit of water and then filter the water fraction that has all the enzymes and other water solubls, i dont really want to add the solid barley fraction.

Also from my studies barley has the highest content of enzymes so that is what i use.

trying to sprout these - on round two
doing the clac instructions to the t -
how many days does it take this stuff to sprout ?

did you get them sprouted bro? I had better luck without the bubble action.

A super easy way to sprout: place a few tablespoons of seed (barley, sunflower etc) in a small size paint strainer net ($2.50HD), slosh it around in a bucket of water making sure all the seeds have been well soaked and rinsed,(discard water) place that strainer net inside a small plant pot that has drainage, then place that planter pot inside a another container with a solid bottom. You are simple putting a cup with drainage holes inside of another cup. Put this cup in a warmish shady place. Repeat the sloshing once or twice each day. Jostle the sprouts a little bit so that they dont get enmeshed in the webbing. I get loads of sprouts in a couple days when it's warm and 4-5 days in winter.

Medium Pimpin'

Ask Beavis, I Get Nothing Butt Head
Veteran
I use a shop rag to sprout them after an 12 hour soak.
Keep the rag moist and in a tray under a dome.
3-5 days you have some fine looking sprouts.
After blended and strained, I toss them onto the soil beds, the worms will enjoy them!

McMath

Pre-sprouted Barley Mung ETC

Pre-sprouted Barley Mung ETC

Hi there. I had come across a forum post where pre-sprouted and dried seeds could work as well. I tried looking in grocery stores like Whole Foods but are only able to find sprouted mung beans or Barley flour. I think the Barley flour is made from the pearled product as well. Does anyone have a good source in West Denver for this? Sprouted Barley seeds that are full of everything you need and ready to be put in water to soak blend filter and then use within say.. 24 hours?

McMath

I know the pearled wont work and I'm sceptical about the Mung beans being as that they are for cooking and the enzyme content may not be at their maximum levels.

Hi there. I had come across a forum post where pre-sprouted and dried seeds could work as well. I tried looking in grocery stores like Whole Foods but are only able to find sprouted mung beans or Barley flour. I think the Barley flour is made from the pearled product as well. Does anyone have a good source in West Denver for this? Sprouted Barley seeds that coot are full of everything you need and ready to be put in water to soak blend filter and then use within say.. 24 hours?

Coot, I think, suggested using malted barley. You can get that at brewer supply places. I used it a few times. For me the results were not as dramatic as fresh sprouted tea.

I wood

Malted barley puréed in water then dumped on soil without straining has been working well for me, the worms get rid of the barley bits pretty fast.
Six row malted barley is the higher concentration of enzymes in my understanding.
I doubt if I can get better results than a trained brewmaster. The ease and low cost mean I will do it more. Sprouting was fun for a while but then became work like anything else.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
yeah cheers buddy! well correct me if i am wrong, but i have read recently that what we are really looking for when making SST is the enzymes, we are not brewing for microbes like a compost tea, and from my reading the enzymes are not affected by the freeze.

Someone mentioned on a thread that they no longer use blackstrap molasses since they started using SST, apparently the sprouts convert into sugar for the microbes as well.

and please correct me if i am wrong!!

I have been growing organically for a couple years (only my very first run was with general hydroponic) and this whole recycling organic living soil thing is fairly new to me. All though some of my plants are on their 5th run in the same container!

The bsm used during aact is for a foodstock to help multiply and get a larger concentration of microbes. I believe if you leave it out during aact you will be just be using the original microbes that were brushed off of the soil particals.
Whoever got those results probably isnt using a microscope after the aact.
Microbeorganics. Com has good recipies to keep the disolved oxegen content at the highest while still useing proper amounts of foodstock

I wood

The bsm used during aact is for a foodstock to help multiply and get a larger concentration of microbes. I believe if you leave it out during aact you will be just be using the original microbes that were brushed off of the soil particals.
Whoever got those results probably isnt using a microscope after the aact.
Microbeorganics. Com has good recipies to keep the disolved oxegen content at the highest while still useing proper amounts of foodstock

I think everything you said is correct, no argument there. Seed sprout teas or malted barley teas aren't about microbes as much as enzymes and growth regulators.
The bubbling of sprouts isn't to aerate microbes but to help mix/release the water soluble ingredients we are after.
Unles I misunderstand things your answer was correct but doesn't apply to be conversation at hand.

Last edited:

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
I think everything you said is correct, no argument there. Seed sprout teas or malted barley teas aren't about microbes as much as enzymes and growth regulators.
Unles I misunderstand things your answer was correct but doesn't apply to be conversation at hand.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes i know it is off topic but I read through the thread and didnt want his question to go unanswered.

I wood

Thank you for the kind words. Yes i know it is off topic but I read through the thread and didnt want his question to go unanswered.

Ok, good point.
I stopped acts myself for that reason, no microscope, pretty easy to make something harmful to plants without even knowing.
Worms in the pots and compost/ vermicompost top dresses were my answer to maintaining healthy microbe populations.
Teas are better for different personality types than myself.

Latest posts

Latest posts