What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hard Candy issue - cause sore throat

JRace

All hard candies I have tried both store-bought suckers with BHO, and home-made Jolly Ranchers with decarb'd Rosin, cause a tickle/irritation in my throat.

I will next try with Qwiso QWET - but curious why?

Do others notice the same?

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BHO....not extracted properly or totally or terpenes/volatile oils can irritate tissue. Arg!

JRace

Iso is even worse...

meant QWET :coffee: I use Everclear (95%).

I thought it could be terpenes, so I did a rosin a long press at high temp (4min @ 235 f) and then decarb'd at 250f for 30min

Hoping to reduce the amount of Terpenes...but no realy change in throat affect.

The feeling goes away a few minutes after the candy has dissolved.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What strain are you using, and have you had this issue with hard candy from other people? I'm guessing this could either be a specific terpene, or there's something in your environment the plant is picking up.

If you're looking to get rid of most of the terpenes, try evaporating the ethanol the way I used to in a rice cooker. Boil the ethanol off, then do the decarb. Without oils to absorb the terpenes, it makes a rather 'flat' extraction.

You could also try water curing for a week, changing the water each day. This removes a significant number of terpenes.

Do you HEPA filter your grow air, or do you filter your extracts with a very fine filter?
What methods and input materials do you use to grow your cannabis? What is the environment like?

At least the feeling goes away once dissolved. ;)

JRace

What strain are you using, and have you had this issue with hard candy from other people? I'm guessing this could either be a specific terpene, or there's something in your environment the plant is picking up.

At least the feeling goes away once dissolved. ;)

1st ones I had were store bought candies, THC source unknown.

2nd batch is from candies I have made myself, using Rosin I made from bud I did not grow.
Made 3 batches with 3 different strains.

So unable to rule out bad source material, but I suspect terpenes to be the cause.

I do evap my QWET over high heat so that should make for a good alternative test to the Rosin.