Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Ace Seeds > Auto ACE at the Duckpond

Thread Title Search
Auto ACE at the Duckpond Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2020, 07:43 AM #1
MallardDuck

MallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really nice
Auto ACE at the Duckpond

Hi there ICmag. My name is MallardDuck and I am going to try to grow cannabis in my garden this summer for the first time. I stumbled across ICmag and the ACE forums here a few months ago as I was looking for seeds this summer. I really liked the way Dubi was so active on here and happy to discuss his work and the idea of growing something a little exotic set me on ACE as the first cannabis breeder I would try.

I live at 55 north in Alberta, Canada so I figured out autoflowering genetics would be my best choice. The growing season is notoriously short here so I went ahead and ordered a 5 pack of the Auto Zamaldelica's late in March. I waited about 4 weeks, anxiously checking the tracking on my package, before I got antsy and found a local distributor that had Auto Malawi/NL in stock. I bought some of those as well, as I waited on bated breath for my seeds from Spain to arrive. I was very excited when my both packages finally made it to me in the space of few days - just in time for the season! I guess I will have variety this year and will be sprouting some of both strains. A happy little accident.

I will be growing 4 plants in 7 gallon fabric pots in my backyard. I have mixed a bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest with peat moss, perlite, local worm castings, some of my own homemade compost and a dash of Gaia Green 4-4-4 organic fertilizer. And about 7-10 worms to each bag that I dug up as I was planting my tomatoes.

I am under the impression I have the f4's of each variety if someone could confirm my suspicions? The MalawixNL from the distributor has a packing date of February 5 2020 and the Auto Zamadelica's were ordered from the ACE site March 26 2020.

I hope some of you lovely people will join me as I chronicle my first experience growing cannabis here.

Here are the 4 seeds taking a bath under the watchful eye of one of my orchids. They will be taking a nap in some paper towels shortly after.
MallardDuck is offline Quote

13 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:58 PM #2
MallardDuck

MallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really niceMallardDuck is just really nice
Hello,

A quick update... 3/4 have popped their shells and have been placed in soil. On the advice of a very nice person , I decided to start two of the four seeds directly into the 7 gallon grow bags and the others I have decided to grow for a week or two inside then transplant them outside. I know this is against a lot of the advice I have received, but my instincts tell me to start some at least inside... This is what I do with many of the other plants in my garden. It often still gets below 10c at night. I have learned to trust my instincts when it comes to gardening. At the very least it will be a good experiment on which way the plants prefer for future seasons.

I found some beneficial microbes on sale for 1.50 a pack at my garden centre so I added that to my soil mixture... It can't hurt right?

One other kind of funny thing. As I was examining the seeds in their wet paper towels during the germination stage, my partner mixed up the paper towels and has no idea which paper towel came from which carefully marked bag. So I guess it will be a surprise for me this year when they start flowering! The weather looks good for the next few weeks with mostly blue skies and temps in the mid 20's.

10 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:36 AM #3
dubi
Vendor

dubi has a reputation beyond reputedubi has a reputation beyond reputedubi has a reputation beyond reputedubi has a reputation beyond reputedubi has a reputation beyond reputedubi has a reputation beyond reputedubi has a reputation beyond reputedubi has a reputation beyond reputedubi has a reputation beyond reputedubi has a reputation beyond reputedubi has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome MallardDuck

Hope you feel comfortable with us in this virtual room, and thank you very much for choosing ACE Seeds for your first grow, very touching

Glad to hear you received your 2 orders safe and sound. Autoflowering genetics are the right choice at your latitude
Auto Malawi x NL is already the F4 generation, Auto Zamaldelica is still F3 unless the F4 is requested through ordering directly from our website.

The nights are probably still cold at your latitude so it's a good choice to do the germination process indoors in a more controlled and warm environment, if the forecast is good then place the seedlings outdoors so they can start to get used to it.

Will try to help you to identify what strain is each plant when they are more developed. Best wishes!
dubi is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:02 PM #4
farmerlion
IC Mag Supporter

farmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant future
Mallard Duck, I just germinated and planted this past weekend. I have the Auto Zamaldelica in my greenhouse and the Auto Malawi x Lebanese outside this season.
I look forward to your updates. Have a great season.
farmerlion is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:49 PM #5
MallardDuck

Farmerlion,

Nice to hear you have germinated as well. Thanks for joining in. The Auto Malawi x Lebanese sounds like an excellent cross. I read on ACEs site that some of the Lebanese have auto flowering traits... I wonder if some of them will be true auto flowers in their first generation? Anyways Im sure they will be great for us more northern gardeners.

Dubi,

Thanks for stopping by! I would much appreciate your help identifying the plants with me when they have more recognizable traits.

__

Things are coming along well here I think. I have transplanted the two I started inside, out into their 7 gallon bags. Things have still been chilly at night... last night was 6c. I have been taking them inside in the warm house overnight to help them a bit. Also I have been using some milk jugs as "greenhouses" for when it is above 10c and I leave them outside for the night.

I germinated two more seeds as one of the 4 never popped. One other Auto Zam and a freebie Amnesia Auto that I received when I bought from the local distributor. Both popped however the Auto Zam seems to have gotten confused and made a break for it by exiting out the wrong side of the seed. The small leaves came out first instead of the taproot. The shell fell off completely as I examined it. I put it in soil and am still relatively confident it will come up.

The rest of my garden looks beautiful... all of the food crops seem to be thriving this year. The flowers have exploded in the last few weeks which is nice as well.

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:52 PM #6
RED 1

RED 1 has a brilliant futureRED 1 has a brilliant futureRED 1 has a brilliant futureRED 1 has a brilliant futureRED 1 has a brilliant futureRED 1 has a brilliant futureRED 1 has a brilliant futureRED 1 has a brilliant futureRED 1 has a brilliant futureRED 1 has a brilliant futureRED 1 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallardDuck View Post
Farmerlion,

Nice to hear you have germinated as well. Thanks for joining in. The Auto Malawi x Lebanese sounds like an excellent cross. I read on ACEs site that some of the Lebanese have auto flowering traits... I wonder if some of them will be true auto flowers in their first generation? Anyways Im sure they will be great for us more northern gardeners.

Dubi,

Thanks for stopping by! I would much appreciate your help identifying the plants with me when they have more recognizable traits.

__

Things are coming along well here I think. I have transplanted the two I started inside, out into their 7 gallon bags. Things have still been chilly at night... last night was 6c. I have been taking them inside in the warm house overnight to help them a bit. Also I have been using some milk jugs as "greenhouses" for when it is above 10c and I leave them outside for the night.

I germinated two more seeds as one of the 4 never popped. One other Auto Zam and a freebie Amnesia Auto that I received when I bought from the local distributor. Both popped however the Auto Zam seems to have gotten confused and made a break for it by exiting out the wrong side of the seed. The small leaves came out first instead of the taproot. The shell fell off completely as I examined it. I put it in soil and am still relatively confident it will come up.

The rest of my garden looks beautiful... all of the food crops seem to be thriving this year. The flowers have exploded in the last few weeks which is nice as well.

View Image

View Image

View Image
Beautiful and colourful
RED 1 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:05 PM #7
MallardDuck

Hi again,

Another small update. The weather took a turn for the worst this last week or so. I was forced to bring the plants inside for a few days as we had pouring rain and daily highs of around 9C. Based on how far along my plants are compared to others I worry that I may have stunted them. But I have to keep in mind that this year is all a learning experience for me. Not sure if bringing them inside was the right choice... I dont have artificial light to put them under in the mean time, at least not one that will fit over 7 gallon bags. I wonder if I got too eager in germinating my seedling and perhaps should have waited an extra week or so to give the plants a better chance at good weather.

The rogue Auto Zam seedling that made a break for it out the wrong side of the seed has fully recovered and I will move her from my seedling light to her final pot tonight after the heat of the day. She has been spending days outside and seems to like it. The other Auto Amnesia has sprouted but has not been able to pop its shell. I may take an exacto knife to it tonight... Perhaps I didnt plant the seed deep enough to proved the friction needed to shed the shell.

Other parts of my garden are looking nice... I will share a few photos of it as well.

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:53 AM #8
farmerlion
IC Mag Supporter

farmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant future
Nice garden!
If you don't mind I will show one of my auto's here. The Auto Zamaldelica are going to be super special outdoors.
Peace brother

Old 06-13-2020, 04:43 AM #9
farmerlion
IC Mag Supporter

Hello Mallard

Here's one of my Auto Zamaldelica plants.

It's staying squat and getting bulky. I wish I had more greenhouses. I would like more of these for sure. Great job Dubi ! These are an amazing strain.
Peace farmerlion

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:45 AM #10
MallardDuck

Glad to have you Farmerlion! Please post photos here as much as you wish. I am interested to see what other people are doing with the same strains I am growing.