What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can I flower in solo cups?

Hey, I have a tiny 2 X 2 X 2 area and 16 extra clones I can't use. As soon as roots show, I'm going to put them in solo cups of soil/perlite in trays and into 12/12 light. Is it actually possible to get to end of flower without killing them? I want them to stay short, and I'm wondering what the smallest possible pot I can use is. Not worried about yield, just want some fun bonsai nugs.

Old Soul

Veteran
They will probably need to be watered much more frequently at the end of flower when they are rootbound but you should be able to do it if you throw them in flower as soon as they root. Check out Major Pothead's grows, he flowers in 2 liters with great results. Have fun.

Peace

vinivici

hey nicol,

i had the same problem and flowered mine in 2 liter soda bottles. if your tight on space look for the 1L or the .5L water bottles, they'll probably work better than cups.
these are about 5 weeks in when the pic was taken.

skylined

A different and somewhat interesting option would be to take, say, four larger pots. Plant four clones in each. Since all the clones have identical care requirements they can all easily live together in the same pot. Also, there will be more space for your roots. Height can be restricted by training, although I'm also assuming you are not running an HID light in that space either. Whatever you choose, I wish you luck. You might just pull and ounce or two.

Peace,
~Skylined

G

i think a solo cup would be too small, but a few users are doing 1/2 gallon containers packed in.

as soon as you get roots, transplant into solo and flower. but i would imagine you would get rootbound, should still be a fun time espcially since you got all the gear.

take pics =)

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran

2 liter soda bottels work great plants in the pic approx 45 days 12/12

heres approx 1/2 cup of soil

choped 55 days 12/12 :) do a search there a 1oz shot glass contest grow thread here it'll blow your mind lol

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

Do it. You'll just have to water more often.

DrBud over at Micro grows in 20oz soda bottles, about 16oz of soil and actually sometimes reveg's and flowers them 3 times in the same soda bottle! :nono:

oldgrayhair

Here's a few shots to get your courage up!

My 11 Northern Light clones, 10 in 16 oz. cups, 1 in 2-liter for comparison.

A bit closer:

The comparisons, won't know for sure until I get done, they still have 25 days to go.....but looks like the 2-liter will yield more. But, in low height situations, the cups work just fine.

A bit closer:

Peace - OGH

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
oldgrayhair said:
Here's a few shots to get your courage up!

My 11 Northern Light clones, 10 in 16 oz. cups, 1 in 2-liter for comparison.

A bit closer:

The comparisons, won't know for sure until I get done, they still have 25 days to go.....but looks like the 2-liter will yield more. But, in low height situations, the cups work just fine.

A bit closer:

Peace - OGH

Crazy plants man, that is impressive

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
SCROG one or two clones.....get used to the idea of chucking out clones. Every time I trim my moms I throw out dozens of potential clones.

Why would you put yourself through the daily hell of watering 16 little cups? You can get the same yield with a proper SCROG of probably one plant. Larger pots are preferable because they stay more evenly watered and ferted than little pots. Less extreme fluctuation in moisture levels.

You can finish a pot plant in a shot glass but this doesn't mean it is a desirable container.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Just from observation, not scientifically tested.... but....

as oldgrayhair seems to be seeing, smaller pots can restrict plants size, so, as a previous poster suggested, you might be better planting 4x per [bigger] pot.

Personally, as it is something as important as Marijuana, I would spend whatever it takes to maximise the potential available.

Hydroponics use less rootspace than soil, why not live life dangerously and do your first COCO grow.... ?

From doing SoGs a while ago... what really counts, IMO, more than "seeing roots growing" is seeing the plant is growing, vigorously. This applies more with Hydro where the initial dramatic acceleration of growth can, if ignored, lead to wildly differing plant heights and subsequent loss of yield. [Average, total, do not get seduced by the stars of the show, it is about achieving a uniform crop, leading to the maximum possible total.

oldgrayhair

The "hell" of watering my little cups is actually my therapy :)

With 16oz. cups, you will be watering everyday. With my 2-liters I can water every other day. After comparing the number of cups I can fit, vs. the number of 2-liters, the difference is so small I'll go all 2-liters next round as I'm pretty sure I'll get more weight.

I'll be pleasantly happy if I can pull 7g. dry per clone in 16oz. cups...I may be sadly disappointed, who knows.....but I'll have learned a bit, which is priceless.

If by chance I get 10-14g dry from the 2-liter, well, I'll be a happy grower for many more moons.

The only time I use larger containers if for moms, they get 2-gal bags.

To the OP, as per your question, yes, you can totally flower in solos :) My next experiment will be finding a 16oz. container that is as deep as the 2-liter. Then I'll see if depth of roots plays more of a role in final weight vs. volume of soil.

Peace - OGH

ps- Thanks very much Dr. Dog, I've peered into many of your grows, so your compliment means a ton!

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
oldgrayhair said:
The "hell" of watering my little cups is actually my therapy :)

With 16oz. cups, you will be watering everyday. With my 2-liters I can water every other day. After comparing the number of cups I can fit, vs. the number of 2-liters, the difference is so small I'll go all 2-liters next round as I'm pretty sure I'll get more weight.

I'll be pleasantly happy if I can pull 7g. dry per clone in 16oz. cups...I may be sadly disappointed, who knows.....but I'll have learned a bit, which is priceless.

If by chance I get 10-14g dry from the 2-liter, well, I'll be a happy grower for many more moons.

The only time I use larger containers if for moms, they get 2-gal bags.

To the OP, as per your question, yes, you can totally flower in solos :) My next experiment will be finding a 16oz. container that is as deep as the 2-liter. Then I'll see if depth of roots plays more of a role in final weight vs. volume of soil.

Peace - OGH

ps- Thanks very much Dr. Dog, I've peered into many of your grows, so your compliment means a ton!
right on mang nice solo cups when i run sugar shack in 2 liter soda bottels i average 14-21 grams per dry, my 1/2 cup soil grow yielded 1/8th dry and was rolled into a dutch tulip. as for {Then I'll see if depth of roots plays more of a role in final weight vs. volume of soil.} yes rootmass play a major roll in finial yield. i veg under hella wattage in cfl's total of 420w. with the mixed color cfls and nutes used i get crazy fast root growth

another 2 liter bottle shot for encouragement my plants finish 26-36inch tall from floor when flowered @ 10-12 inch

Smoking Gun

There is nothing wrong with Solo cups. One way to maximize the Solo cups is to plant your clones into one cup, once the plants start to become root bound, cut the very bottom off and plant the whole thing into another cup, about half way down into the second cup. This will allow your roots to grow into the second cup, keeping them from getting root bound and help improve yield, and you are only using an extra 3-4 inches of vertical space.

If you are going for bonsai style plants, the Solo cups are great for that as well. There are many possibilities and ways to make the Solo cups effective. SO I would say give it a try and see what you get.

G

Smoking Gun said:
There is nothing wrong with Solo cups. One way to maximize the Solo cups is to plant your clones into one cup, once the plants start to become root bound, cut the very bottom off and plant the whole thing into another cup, about half way down into the second cup. This will allow your roots to grow into the second cup, keeping them from getting root bound and help improve yield, and you are only using an extra 3-4 inches of vertical space.

If you are going for bonsai style plants, the Solo cups are great for that as well. There are many possibilities and ways to make the Solo cups effective. SO I would say give it a try and see what you get.

Really?

G

Nicol Bolas said:
Hey, I have a tiny 2 X 2 X 2 area and 16 extra clones I can't use. As soon as roots show, I'm going to put them in solo cups of soil/perlite in trays and into 12/12 light. Is it actually possible to get to end of flower without killing them? I want them to stay short, and I'm wondering what the smallest possible pot I can use is. Not worried about yield, just want some fun bonsai nugs.

8 cubic feet of grow area??? Have you studied micro grows or do you wish that everyone here will give you a step by step personal hands on?

TyStik

Do some research and study, that is an issue lacking in Middle School basics.

TyStik

Latest posts

Latest posts