Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > USA Cannabis Scene: State By State > Michigan > Thoughts on Michigan's new roadside drug testing?

Thread Title Search
Thoughts on Michigan's new roadside drug testing? Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2020, 05:27 PM #11
TheMan13

TheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by santamartagold View Post
My apologies TheMan13. I should have checked before I opened my stupid mouth.
No need to apologize. I'm simply looking for others thoughts and an honest conversation about the matter and that you provided.
TheMan13 is offline Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 07:47 PM #12
'Boogieman'

'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor
When I was on probation they tested me with saliva tests. I have smoked 12 hours before a test and didn't test positive for thc. This was about 10 years ago though, not sure how good saliva tests are now.
'Boogieman' is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:56 PM #13
TheMan13

TheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Boogieman' View Post
When I was on probation they tested me with saliva tests. I have smoked 12 hours before a test and didn't test positive for thc. This was about 10 years ago though, not sure how good saliva tests are now.
Michigan is currently using the Alere DDS® 2 Mobile Test System by Abbott I do believe.

In reading through it's documentation I found that it has a "cutoff" for Cannabis (THC) at 25 ng/mL?

Drug Class Cutoff (ng/mL)

Amphetamine 50

Benzodiazepines 20

Cannabis (THC) 25

Cocaine 30

Methamphetamine 50

Opiates 40

I wonder how the accuracy of a saliva test differs for drugs not ingested through the mouth?
Attached Thumbnails
Alere_DDS2.jpg

Last edited by TheMan13; 07-01-2020 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 08:22 PM #14
Amynamous

Amynamous has a reputation beyond reputeAmynamous has a reputation beyond reputeAmynamous has a reputation beyond reputeAmynamous has a reputation beyond reputeAmynamous has a reputation beyond reputeAmynamous has a reputation beyond reputeAmynamous has a reputation beyond reputeAmynamous has a reputation beyond reputeAmynamous has a reputation beyond reputeAmynamous has a reputation beyond reputeAmynamous has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyballs View Post
This one time at marijuana camp........
Too funny!

and NO, never in the front.
Amynamous is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:16 AM #15
BGS Blueberry

BGS Blueberry will become famous soon enoughBGS Blueberry will become famous soon enough
Per the Lansing State Journal:

"A Michigan Supreme Court decision in 2013 ruled that medical marijuana card holders could not be prosecuted simply for having THC in their system. Because their use of marijuana was legal with the card, and THC metabolites can remain in the body for almost a month, the court ruled that evidence of impaired driving was needed for a conviction."
BGS Blueberry is offline Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 01:06 AM #16
TheMan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS Blueberry View Post
Per the Lansing State Journal:

"A Michigan Supreme Court decision in 2013 ruled that medical marijuana card holders could not be prosecuted simply for having THC in their system. Because their use of marijuana was legal with the card, and THC metabolites can remain in the body for almost a month, the court ruled that evidence of impaired driving was needed for a conviction."
Yes the 2013 case of People v Koon addresses an MMMA patients internal possession of cannabis (zero tolerance) while driving, but it dose not address what being "under the influence" means.

I'd assume with recreational now legal this protection should cover all 21 and older?

Old 07-02-2020, 04:55 AM #17
BGS Blueberry

BGS Blueberry will become famous soon enoughBGS Blueberry will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan13 View Post
but it dose not address what being "under the influence" means.

I'd assume with recreational now legal this protection should cover all 21 and older?
That would be a gamble. Each jurisdiction is treating things differently. SOME require actual proof of poor driving such as weaving, disobeying traffic control devices, Etc. Currently,, prosecutors and departments may pursue marijuana impairment zealously, or require proof of poor driving.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean that it is a free-for-all, as people are sometimes under that impression. With that being said, a little Common Sense is bound to go far.

Remember, smell is their number one way of detecting "impairment." If you smell like you just rolled out of the Cheech and Chong van, you're probably going to get some questions. LOL

At some point in the future, they are likely to require proof of poor driving to arrest and prosecute statewide. A sacrificial lamb is going to have to take it to court in order for that to come to pass, assuming they don't try to clear it up legislatively which is very unlikely.
BGS Blueberry is offline Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 PM #18
TheMan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS Blueberry View Post
A sacrificial lamb is going to have to take it to court in order for that to come to pass, assuming they don't try to clear it up legislatively which is very unlikely.
My thought exactly. Hopefully all the $$$ in the rec and med legislative facility licensing schemes today has drawn a higher quality gaggle of lawyers/lobbyists than the incompetents that left patients and caregivers hanging with awful legal precedents and costly plea deals during the voters MMMA era.