What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lester Grinspoon, legendary cannabis researcher, died at the age of 92

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
The day after his 92nd birthday, influential cannabis researcher and author Lester Grinspoon passed away. His son Peter reports this via Twitter. Grinspoon's books greatly influenced the debate about the cannabis ban in the United States and beyond.

Lester Grinspoon was born on June 24, 1928 in Newton, Massachussetts. For decades, he was a professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and a 40-year psychiatrist at the Massachusetts Mental Health Center in Boston. In 1971 he published "Marijuana Reconsidered", a groundbreaking book on the criminalization of cannabis. Marijuana: The Forbidden Medicine, published in 1993, had a major impact on the social and political debate about medicinal cannabis.

Grinspoon was a true convert: when he started studying cannabis in 1967, he was convinced that “it was a very harmful drug that was unfortunately being used by more and more foolish young people who would not listen to or could not believe or understand the warnings about its dangers. ” The more research he did, the more it became clear that he, and the rest of the American public, had been lied to about the dangers of cannabis.

281417-Candle-Burning.gif

Attachments

• Lester_Grinspoon_cannabis-is-remarkably-safe.jpg
    Lester_Grinspoon_cannabis-is-remarkably-safe.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 31

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
We probably wouldn't have legalized in so many states if it wasn't for Grinspoon. RIP and this bowl is for you Lester.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- I don't think its so sad when someone makes it to 92 years old before passing on - especially if they have had a full and worthy life - publishing such groundbreaking information on cannabis too - He must have died with a smile on his face - I would have -

RIP Lester -

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Great post Gypsy, I was also kinda thinking that at 92, he did OK. Isn't there a string of pearls strain named after him?

Born on June 24, died on June 25. Musta over-celebrated the 92nd B'day.

RIP Mr. Grinspoon

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I do vaguely remember that there might have been some cannabis variety attributed to Dr Grinspoon - I think? - but can't remember any other details right now - sorry flylowgethigh .

hellfire

RIP

A great intellectual and spokesman. His interviews and insights inspire the cannabis loving soul and his words will not be forgotten.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
his advocacy was inspirational.
i was moved that he helped/allowed his son use cannabis to overcome the nausea caused by the chemotherapy when it was obviously illegal then.
a great man.
we are blessed to have had him with us.
RIP Dr.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I just heard the news and was about to post this
RIP Lester Grinspoon

You were and will always be a Hero in my life.

Latest posts

Latest posts