Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Advice for soil amendment decomposed granite

Thread Title Search
Advice for soil amendment decomposed granite Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2020, 11:01 PM #1
Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Ur Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant future
Advice for soil amendment decomposed granite

Working with an outdoor plot. Decomposed granite, primarily. Area has grown primarily citrus & avocados for 30+ years. I’ve dug out multiple 50 gallon holes and need to amend the soil. Limited organic resources right now because of Covid-19. I plan to mix in 30% (15 gal) compost. How does that sound? I’ll also be adding in a pellet organic vegetable food at recommended strength. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Med Compliant

Buy low, sell "HIGH"

"I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker." - Stanley Kubrick

Believe at your own peril...
Ur Humbl Nr8tor is offline Quote

Old 04-02-2020, 10:25 PM #2
Rico Swazi

Rico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to behold
pics of the lay of the land as it sits now would be helpful but not needed if you can describe the soil properties well enough but pics always help.

Have the citrus and avocado trees been removed because of disease ? any mulching material on the ground? Can you get cover crops going?

If the trees were healthy I would plant right in the ground,top dress with compost, mulch heavily and save the digging for gold (granite iron pyrite joke)

I adhere to the principles of low input sustainable agriculture
Here to share my efforts to grow food and medicine
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362619
And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Rico Swazi is offline Quote

Old 04-03-2020, 02:17 AM #3
Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Ur Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant futureUr Humbl Nr8tor has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Swazi View Post
pics of the lay of the land as it sits now would be helpful but not needed if you can describe the soil properties well enough but pics always help.

Have the citrus and avocado trees been removed because of disease ? any mulching material on the ground? Can you get cover crops going?

If the trees were healthy I would plant right in the ground,top dress with compost, mulch heavily and save the digging for gold (granite iron pyrite joke)
Holes are dug. About 50gallons each. Sloping hill side. Avocados and citrus are healthy. 30+ year old grove. Shovel and my back is what it took to dig out each of the six holes. Plan to amend with 30% compost and some granular vegetable nutrients. Maybe mycorrhiza and a little chicken/cow manure. Let it cook till end of the month and plant in.

Med Compliant

Buy low, sell "HIGH"

"I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker." - Stanley Kubrick

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:32 AM #4
Rico Swazi

Rico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to behold
Thanks. looks like great drainage. Are you using gypsum on the trees? What other ferts have you been using on the trees and surrounding area? Any soil tests over the 30 yrs? Must be doing something right as they are healthy.

planting clones? If you would like to know if all your work digging and the cost amending holes was worth it .... take one cutting and plant it in the ground next to some healthy weeds. See if your native mycorrhiza performs as well as what you put in the holes. A layer of gypsum for calcium under compost under minimal 3 inch mulch and let it grow.

if you are into experimenting that is.

If not, its okay with me, your plan sounds good since you have healthy trees you know what is what when it comes to your soil. IME many growers have been surprised at the results of planting straight to the ground.

last thing, if you do the test, you don't have to take your best cut, but to keep it fair, not the worst either
Now's the time for me to chillax sit back and listen to what the others have to say
Good luck in every way growin more TREES where there weren't any before

I adhere to the principles of low input sustainable agriculture
Here to share my efforts to grow food and medicine
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362619
And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Rico Swazi is offline Quote

Old 04-03-2020, 10:04 AM #5
Teddybrae
IC Mag Supporter

Teddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivor
Man, some of my soil is Decomposed Granite. Ancient riverbed, actually. Quite rich in its own right.

Yeah, do the Compost. And thoroughly dig in Chicken shit. A little more than the instructions on the bag say.

Get a Soil pH Test Kit. Cheap. pH your final mix then keep testing after you've watered everything in and decomposition has started. (like yr manure will acidify the soil which is probably a little too acid anyway.)

You'll probably need Dolomite. It will adjust your pH UP (to a higher number) and has Calcium AND Magnesium for your plants.

If you don't add enough now, you can always top dress and also foliar spray later in the season.

Good luck!
Teddybrae is offline Quote

Old 04-03-2020, 05:10 PM #6
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur Humbl Nr8tor View Post
Working with an outdoor plot. Decomposed granite, primarily. Area has grown primarily citrus & avocados for 30+ years. I’ve dug out multiple 50 gallon holes and need to amend the soil. Limited organic resources right now because of Covid-19. I plan to mix in 30% (15 gal) compost. How does that sound? I’ll also be adding in a pellet organic vegetable food at recommended strength. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
de-composed granite is like Concrete when it dries.

i've been planning a barn or workshop using de-composed Granite. Why pay for concrete when you have 15 acres of natural concrete ?

i suggest mixing it, 1 part de-composed Granite, 2 or 3 parts other stuff to "chill out" the de-composed Granite, so it becomes a normal mixer like sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu60uj0_-Nw

Trump's Lysol Moment @ 25:00 in video from Thursday April 23.
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 04-07-2020, 05:34 AM #7
Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Swazi View Post
Thanks. looks like great drainage. Are you using gypsum on the trees? What other ferts have you been using on the trees and surrounding area? Any soil tests over the 30 yrs? Must be doing something right as they are healthy.

planting clones? If you would like to know if all your work digging and the cost amending holes was worth it .... take one cutting and plant it in the ground next to some healthy weeds. See if your native mycorrhiza performs as well as what you put in the holes. A layer of gypsum for calcium under compost under minimal 3 inch mulch and let it grow.

if you are into experimenting that is.

If not, its okay with me, your plan sounds good since you have healthy trees you know what is what when it comes to your soil. IME many growers have been surprised at the results of planting straight to the ground.

last thing, if you do the test, you don't have to take your best cut, but to keep it fair, not the worst either
Now's the time for me to chillax sit back and listen to what the others have to say
Good luck in every way growin more TREES where there weren't any before
I may give that a try, Rico. Just to see what comes of it. I’ve got a number of plants from seed that I will be cloning out to put into each of the holes. I backfilled with native soil and 30% compost yesterday. I’ll top dress with a little manure and the organic pelletized veggie fertilizer. Mykos got delivered today.

This grove hasn’t been fertilized in years. We finally put some down and plan to amend several times this season. The drainage is hella good. If anything, I’m hoping the compost and 3-4 inches mulch will help with moisture retention. it gets hot as hell in the summer. I’ll add some gypsum as well. Here’s some more pics.

Med Compliant

Buy low, sell "HIGH"

Old 04-07-2020, 05:35 AM #8
Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybrae View Post
Man, some of my soil is Decomposed Granite. Ancient riverbed, actually. Quite rich in its own right.

Yeah, do the Compost. And thoroughly dig in Chicken shit. A little more than the instructions on the bag say.

Get a Soil pH Test Kit. Cheap. pH your final mix then keep testing after you've watered everything in and decomposition has started. (like yr manure will acidify the soil which is probably a little too acid anyway.)

You'll probably need Dolomite. It will adjust your pH UP (to a higher number) and has Calcium AND Magnesium for your plants.

If you don't add enough now, you can always top dress and also foliar spray later in the season.

Good luck!
Thanks Teddy. I’ll figure out a way to do a cheap pH. When this Covid shit dies down, I’ll spring for a professional analysis. I will adjust the soil via top dressing if need be. I need to check the pH of the water as well. I’m guessing it’s high 7’s to 8.

Med Compliant

Buy low, sell "HIGH"

Old 04-07-2020, 05:37 AM #9
Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Phatty View Post
de-composed granite is like Concrete when it dries.

i've been planning a barn or workshop using de-composed Granite. Why pay for concrete when you have 15 acres of natural concrete ?

i suggest mixing it, 1 part de-composed Granite, 2 or 3 parts other stuff to "chill out" the de-composed Granite, so it becomes a normal mixer like sand.
There is definitely sand in the mix already. I was able to dig the 6 50gal holes by hand in under 4 hours. I talked to the head honcho at one of my favorite nurseries. He suggested 2 parts DG, 1 part compost. Don’t want the roots to be too spoiled when they hit the pure native soil. Toughest part was the last two holes because of oak tree roots.

Med Compliant

Buy low, sell "HIGH"

Old 04-08-2020, 01:01 PM #10
h.h.

h.h. is a survivorh.h. is a survivorh.h. is a survivorh.h. is a survivorh.h. is a survivorh.h. is a survivorh.h. is a survivorh.h. is a survivorh.h. is a survivorh.h. is a survivorh.h. is a survivor
A hole with amendments can be like growing in a pot. Top dress and side dress.