What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growin w/ Happy Frog

mexweed

Veteran
do you think you need extra fungi, my understanding is that happy frog has a good amount in it, and there should also be fungi and bacteria in the dr earth stuff

I've thought about adding extra too, for a while I was using some specialized microbes that I got as samples, but I'm not going to use it this round, I'm not going to use the fulvic/humic supplement I've been using either

there is fungi and bacteria in the down to earth I use, it has humic and so does happy frog, I think as long as I mix enough in and feed well with aerated worm castings and insect frass the microbial life should thrive, I will also aerate fresh bananas during peak flowering

the one side by side I saw using the microbe product claimed that the buds were more dense but it was equal weight to the one that didn't get it and the one that didn't get it purpled more, the guy claimed the one with microbes had better terp profile/flavor, but he might have just been trying to save face from not getting any more yield whatsoever

DoloDankness

do you think you need extra fungi, my understanding is that happy frog has a good amount in it, and there should also be fungi and bacteria in the dr earth stuff

I've thought about adding extra too, for a while I was using some specialized microbes that I got as samples, but I'm not going to use it this round, I'm not going to use the fulvic/humic supplement I've been using either

there is fungi and bacteria in the down to earth I use, it has humic and so does happy frog, I think as long as I mix enough in and feed well with aerated worm castings and insect frass the microbial life should thrive, I will also aerate fresh bananas during peak flowering

the one side by side I saw using the microbe product claimed that the buds were more dense but it was equal weight to the one that didn't get it and the one that didn't get it purpled more, the guy claimed the one with microbes had better terp profile/flavor, but he might have just been trying to save face from not getting any more yield whatsoever

Interesting, thank you for the information. The Dr Earth seems very organic as well. The nitrogen in it is based from guano. Let me know how it works out for you!

mexweed

Veteran
there should be a list of the fungi and bacteria on the box of dr earth, I'm thinking that overdoing it with microbes and humics is basically the organic equivalent of overfeeding in hydro

DoloDankness

Gotchu my man, I haven't added any yet so no issues. I was only gonna add some when in flower or else if the plants start to yellow up at all.

DoloDankness

Haven't posted on this thread in a while, everything's still going okay in the tent. Everything is green, I'm still getting used to the watering thing. How much and when. Feel like I may be underwatering a little when I water because I'm scared of overwatering. Just watered them earlier with a healthier watering to see what happens. They were drying out way too fast. There is also one plant I believe is experiencing a pH issue. Leaves are starting to crinkle, the growth seems to have picked back up after it recovered from the accidental FIM I made instead of a top lmfao, but oh well there's three tops now. Hope everyone in here is doing well. Check out my other thread, way more active on there. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=373049

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Interesting, thank you for the information. The Dr Earth seems very organic as well. The nitrogen in it is based from guano. Let me know how it works out for you!

Years back the Ocean Forest had tons of organic goodies. Plants seem to like sea food. Give your seedlings some maxi crop liquid seaweed, you can go half of 1/4 strength and it really helps a LOT. I don't like to grow without maxi crop. I started using it about 15yrs ago

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Haven't posted on this thread in a while, everything's still going okay in the tent. Everything is green, I'm still getting used to the watering thing. How much and when. Feel like I may be underwatering a little when I water because I'm scared of overwatering. Just watered them earlier with a healthier watering to see what happens. They were drying out way too fast. There is also one plant I believe is experiencing a pH issue. Leaves are starting to crinkle, the growth seems to have picked back up after it recovered from the accidental FIM I made instead of a top lmfao, but oh well there's three tops now. Hope everyone in here is doing well. Check out my other thread, way more active on there. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=373049

Gotta get a spray bottle friend, anything around Solo cup size just give them a lil water. They don't really have to do half the watering in Veg phase. Just a little bit and spray them. Once you get used to how heavy or light your plants should be you'll be fine. But seedlings I give half strength maxi crop liquid seaweed especially if you got happy frog should get you to flowering without needing much more than Calmag, Silica, Humic Acid lol. But really that liquid seaweed and a spray bottle. Your better to underwater because it'll still probably grow some as if you overwater it almost needs put on a heat mat to dry them out. I run about 30-40%more perlite in my Ocean Forest or Happy Frog and Promix. I used to just use OF or Happy Frog but can't afford to run 23-24 plants in 5gal buckets so I started buying a block of Promix and nothing much has changed. I can feed a lil hotter now. I've been using like 5parts Promix to 2or 3 of your "good" stuff and haven't noticed much if any difference. So it's basically just to help cost. The block of Promix is like 35$. Yea pick up a couple 99cents spray bottles and it'll help you from over watering. If they are kinda lightweight and just broke soil give it a few sprays. Even to this day I'll overwater so don't let it get you down. You'll figure out a LOT hanging around icmag

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Sometimes in mid to late Veg I'll give them some Fox Farm Grow. Fox Farm has several GREAT trios. The Grow, Tiger Bloom, and that other stuff. And that open Seasame is some great stuff, along with Beastie Blooms, and this time will be my first using Cha Ching. But Fox Farm products have grew my plants for yrs and I really like them. I added a few other things to this grow Flower Fuel I've used once. But I'm gonna do a Open Seasame/Beastie Blooms cocktail tonite, Maybe put a tbs of grow if there. I dunno the Open Seasame usually greens them up fast

DoloDankness

yea totally goofed on the spray bottle lol. should've totally thought of that before. I am startin to get the hang of it though. Time is the only thing that's really gonna help me. And me paying attention to them lol. Thank you for the detailed advice though. I will use it to my advantage. I have a full lineup of Remo Nutrients, their a newer brand. Didn't pay for the lineup so I dont mind goin and getting a trio from fox farm.

TrickEE

The bad smell your talking about in Fox Farm soils...

The bad smell your talking about in Fox Farm soils...

The garbage smell your talking about, happens when the bags get wet, either in transit or by storage practices at the places you buy them at... Been using OF for many years from the hydro shop, who carefully stores their bags, in the next town over and recently my local hardware store started carrying OF. When I bought it from them one time recently, I certainly noticed the smell. It's like old garbage with a strong musty smell with it. Didn't really know what it was, but made me think it had gotten wet or something. One day when I bought it from the hardware store, it was raining and my bag was wet when they handed it to me. I asked them where they stored it, they said it sits right outside behind the shop. I asked to see and they let me. I told them they had to store the soil so it won't get wet or it could leach good stuff out and/or bad stuff in. They since moved the pallet under an over hang and waited about 6 months before getting another bag from them hoping that that pallet sold already lol. Ever since then, it smells fine and had no issues. Stay lifted.

mexweed

Veteran
the bag had a tear in it that had been taped over, but every bag of soil I have ever had has had holes in it for a bit of oxygen exchange and it has always been a bit damp, never what I would call wet or bone dry

I came across a review of happy frog when I was looking into it that said happy frog is hot as in some of the ingredients aren't fully composted and it heats up like when you cook soil but not nearly as much

Last edited:

JohnR171R

I wanted to use HP but had so much problems with different soils that i stuck with ocean forests. It may be perfectly fine soil but i have been burned over and over again whenever i tried using anything other ocean forests. My plants died in a week after transplanting into that crappy miracle grow soil.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Was able to get some HF recently right off the pallet direct from Fox Farms. Took a while to finally get it as it was on back order for a good several months. No quality issues that I've seen so far. Good stuff as always.