Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Trichome "Myth"? What do you think?

Thread Title Search
Trichome "Myth"? What do you think? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2020, 12:21 PM #11
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivor
Kids these days....

That's why icmag is so great. Misinformation does not get far around these parts compared to other forums, the one you mentioned particularly.

Folks over on riu driving nails through their stalks for fook sake..

I think beginners and inexperienced growers tend to go by the pistils rather than trichs. I know several growers back in the day around here did the same. Once word got around to check trichs, weed got much better.
Lester Beans is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:17 PM #12
hayday

hayday has disabled reputation
I understand that clear trics are early and amber is late for couchlock but what for the flavor and aroma?
I'm color blind so amber is illusive to me but most of my strains I can harvest by the way they retain flavor. Sweetooth, although it gets stonger at 75 days tastes better cut at 60. Cures with fruity terps better too .
I guess for me its best to know your strain,I dont use a loop so much anymore.

W. P. O. D.
hayday is offline Quote

Old 04-02-2020, 01:57 PM #13
superpedro
Can't help myself..

superpedro has much to be proud ofsuperpedro has much to be proud ofsuperpedro has much to be proud ofsuperpedro has much to be proud ofsuperpedro has much to be proud ofsuperpedro has much to be proud ofsuperpedro has much to be proud ofsuperpedro has much to be proud ofsuperpedro has much to be proud ofsuperpedro has much to be proud ofsuperpedro has much to be proud of
IMO there is part truth and part myth in the assumption that late harvest/dark trics turns weed into couchlock. I would rather call it "looses some head-high".
Some indica strains I really like for couchlock effects gets dull from taking them even a bit too far. Not more couchlock just less intense overall.
I see development more as effects get more and more complex as they mature, until a point when it all drops off.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:54 PM #14
MindEater

MindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Beans View Post
Kids these days....

Folks over on riu driving nails through their stalks for fook sake..
What's your Columbian Gold taste like I wonder. And is it even gold? Do you need consultation?

Aridbud, you don't need dogma after years of experience. Just observe reality. Why do we need to assist you in observing reality? If your reality is subjective,then what's the point, create your own myth and embrace it for whatever it is. Are you writing a book or somethin?
MindEater is offline Quote

Old 04-02-2020, 05:05 PM #15
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindEater View Post
What's your Columbian Gold taste like I wonder. And is it even gold? Do you need consultation?

Aridbud, you don't need dogma after years of experience. Just observe reality. Why do we need to assist you in observing reality? If your reality is subjective,then what's the point, create your own myth and embrace it for whatever it is. Are you writing a book or somethin?
Eh? This post doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.
Lester Beans is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:14 PM #16
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindEater View Post

Thanks, all, for input.

The answer is NO, I'm not writing a book. I was looking at auto section compared to ours. A noob asked wanting a "heady high". Some "well known member" said it was a myth about trichomes.
Same with discussion here on water only the last few weeks to remove nutrients in medium....supposedly that was a myth, but dispelled after I Googled the exact comment from a PhD that said the verdict is not in that "flushing" is a myth. I've tasted enough synthetic nute residue on buds, it makes my fillings hurt!!

I should have asked site your sources, perhaps from AFN as fellow was pimping that site. He told this noob incorrectly. It riles me when someone who is growing autoflowers 1-2 times being fed wrong info, hence my question to all you seasoned growers.

Being the inquisitive type, I Googled and found no basis being a myth. There are conditions as those have said.....and I agree. How far a lamp/light is, heat affects plants.Trichomes can be insulating by keeping frost away from leaf cells. They can help reduce evaporation by protecting the plant from wind and heat. In many cases, trichomes protect plants from herbivorous insects that may want to feed on them.

I know a lot about autoflowers, but still learn tidbits.

But to say it's a "MYTH" that looking at trichomes to judge when a plant is ready and the effect desired, it just wasn't right. The noob accepted the info as fact.

Again, that's the reason I love IC so much....pertinent relevant information, input from members in the know. Much appreciated!

The vibe over there is strange....so I go on ever so often to see comments made for afterthought autos. Most are positive, others, because they have no idea HOW to grow autos, say negative things, which I cannot defend...it's their experience and they talked smack. Oh well...

Keep em coming...comments, criticism.

Seeds have the power to preserve species, to enhance cultural as well as genetic diversity, to counter economic monopoly and to check the advance of conformity on all its many fronts.
Michael Pollan
"Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble." ~John Lewis

afterthought autos
We are passionate auto breeders growing organically in the USA since 2008 and offer 34 autoflowering strains, 15 photoperiods, 10 CBD hemp hybrids in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 14.5 years, and running strong! We're on SEEDBAY again...trio of goodies - autos, photoperiods and CBD hemp strains!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 04-02-2020, 05:28 PM #17
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybrae View Post
OK, a.b. what's a pistil on a cannabis bud? Are pistils the white things; or are trichomes the white things?

I think this is a subjective topic. I cannot imagine what you Connoisseurs claim to experience. Like there is stoned and then there is really stoned. There is?

Nup.
Trichomes are tiny, microscopic crystal-like particles that grow on cannabis. They are what give some buds that frosty appearance, and are treasured by both recreational and medicinal users for harnessing the power of cannabis.

The word trichome is derived from the Greek word Tríchōma which means “growth of hair.” When looked at at under a microscope, trichomes do slightly resemble hairs or mushrooms. To the naked eye, however, they look more like tiny crystals.

Trichomes are known for making particularly potent weed feel sticky and giving off a strong aroma. That is because trichomes are actually responsible for storing the highest concentrations of cannabinoids and terpenes that give cannabis its unique aromas, flavors, and effects.

A pistil is a female cannabis plant sex organ. To the ordinary decent home grower, a pistil is a hair that protrudes from a calyx on a female flower. They are also known as stigmas. When a pistillate hair comes into contact with pollen from a male cannabis plant, it is then pollinated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cannabis trichomes.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	527157 Click image for larger version

Name:	BL_early_pistils_1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	527158

Seeds have the power to preserve species, to enhance cultural as well as genetic diversity, to counter economic monopoly and to check the advance of conformity on all its many fronts.
Michael Pollan
"Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble." ~John Lewis

afterthought autos
We are passionate auto breeders growing organically in the USA since 2008 and offer 34 autoflowering strains, 15 photoperiods, 10 CBD hemp hybrids in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 14.5 years, and running strong! We're on SEEDBAY again...trio of goodies - autos, photoperiods and CBD hemp strains!

Last edited by aridbud; 04-02-2020 at 05:42 PM..
aridbud is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM #18
'Boogieman'

'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor
Most strains I have grown did me well by judging the trichomes. Special kush#1 from rqs however is not one of those strains.

This is outdoor grown from 2 plants. The stuff I cut earlier due to mold gets me quite a bit higher then when I waited for amber trichomes. The early cut has no amber and about a 50/50 mix of clear/cloudy trichomes and the pistols were also about 50/50 white and red. The buds with about 10% amber gives me a barely noticeable body buzz with no head buzz and just feels dull, the early cut actually gets me quite high with euphoria and is much more enjoyable. It's supposedly afghani x Pakistan and it's the only strain that was better cut early.
'Boogieman' is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:12 PM #19
aridbud
automeister

There was deflection when I asked about citing sources. Clearly spreading false info. Will stick to IC Mag....like superglue!!!! Thanks all!

Michael Pollan

afterthought autos

aridbud is offline Quote

Old 04-02-2020, 07:59 PM #20
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivor
I may be a tad off topic with this but I didn't want to start a new thread over it.....

I have 4 auto's that are in week 14. 2 show cloudy trics with zero amber and 2 are still showing crystal clear trics.

Is that common for autos in week 14? This is my first auto grow.

Thanks