Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Medicinal Cannabis Forum > Cannabis Allergy but only during harvest?

Thread Title Search
Cannabis Allergy but only during harvest? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2020, 04:32 AM #1
tetragrammaton

tetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud of
Question Cannabis Allergy but only during harvest?

Well, I would like to start out by stating, that I have no issues being around live plants, during growth or flower, nor do I have any issues smelling dried and cured cannabis of any quality and of any origin, or have any issues when smoking said cannabis.

However, ever since I started growing back in 2006, I noticed that when it comes time to trim, (I usually do a wet trim, but will do a dry trim on my two remaining plants this run), I have a pretty annoying allergic reaction. I sneeze constantly, and since I don't wear gloves while trimming, anything I touch on my body afterwards, an itchy rash developes. It is gone in a day, and the sneezing goes away too, but not entirely.

Until the buds have at least a week cure, I will still sneeze.

I don't really mind this, as it's not that severe, and doesn't last long, but with the coronavirus going around all over the world, I realized that me sneezing probably doesn't give people a good impression. And by this I mean, that even after I've trimmed, washed my hands, etc... the symptoms will last for hours, so when I'm out in public I will have sneezing fits.

I'm wondering if anyone else had an experience like this during trimming/harvest time, and I'm also wondering, regardless whether you've experienced this yourself, if anyone here knows the scientific explanation for this?

Can one be allergic to terpenes, and that's why this happens?

Peace & Love,
Tetra

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:41 AM #2
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivor
A terpene issue is definitely plausible, though other things could be triggering it.

Have you tried nitrile gloves and a painter's mask while trimming?
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:01 AM #3
tetragrammaton

tetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud oftetragrammaton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
A terpene issue is definitely plausible, though other things could be triggering it.

Have you tried nitrile gloves and a painter's mask while trimming?
No, but that's a good idea, and I will try it in a week or two when I harvest two more plants, although since i'll also be dry trimming them, I'm not sure if that will factor in to making a difference. I think I need to try it without the mask to see if dry trimming solves the problem.

Also, as mentioned, luckily this doesn't really bother me, and the symptoms are gone within a few hours usually, and I had terrible allergies as a kid, and was highly allergic to mold, mildew, trees, and animals, but grew out of those allergies, except for spring, when the trees start producing pollen.

I'm more looking for an explanation as to why this happens, rather than a solution to fix it, because it's something I can deal with, and in the grand scheme of things is a very minor issue. Luckily I can still enjoy cannabis once it's dried and cured, and even while it's growing. It's only when I trim when this issue arises.

Peace & Love,
Tetra

Old 03-15-2020, 05:33 AM #4
Zomboy

Zomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud of
Same thing happens to me. I always trim with nitrile gloves and a mask. Helps a lot but still get minor irritation
Zomboy is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:32 AM #5
Nexus7

Nexus7 is a glorious beacon of lightNexus7 is a glorious beacon of lightNexus7 is a glorious beacon of lightNexus7 is a glorious beacon of lightNexus7 is a glorious beacon of lightNexus7 is a glorious beacon of lightNexus7 is a glorious beacon of lightNexus7 is a glorious beacon of lightNexus7 is a glorious beacon of lightNexus7 is a glorious beacon of lightNexus7 is a glorious beacon of light
Same. I get a little bit rashy/hives on my hands when handling the freshly harvested flowers only. Not so much the sneezing though. I do have very minor allergies in general.

N7
Nexus7 is offline Quote

Old 03-15-2020, 03:15 PM #6
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
I've gotten itchy rashes like poison oak from Cannabis.

It is related to Stinging Nettles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu60uj0_-Nw

Trump's Lysol Moment @ 25:00 in video from Thursday April 23.
St. Phatty is online now Quote

Old 03-15-2020, 03:24 PM #7
chilliwilli

chilliwilli has much to be proud ofchilliwilli has much to be proud ofchilliwilli has much to be proud ofchilliwilli has much to be proud ofchilliwilli has much to be proud ofchilliwilli has much to be proud ofchilliwilli has much to be proud ofchilliwilli has much to be proud ofchilliwilli has much to be proud ofchilliwilli has much to be proud ofchilliwilli has much to be proud of
when i get some of the resin of living plants on my arms and get the iches i know they are comming closer to harvest, mostly in the last 10-14 days.
chilliwilli is offline Quote

Old 03-15-2020, 04:33 PM #8
pumpkinpie eyes

pumpkinpie eyes is a name known to allpumpkinpie eyes is a name known to allpumpkinpie eyes is a name known to allpumpkinpie eyes is a name known to allpumpkinpie eyes is a name known to allpumpkinpie eyes is a name known to allpumpkinpie eyes is a name known to allpumpkinpie eyes is a name known to allpumpkinpie eyes is a name known to allpumpkinpie eyes is a name known to allpumpkinpie eyes is a name known to all
take a benadryl before putting on glovez
pumpkinpie eyes is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:51 PM #9
useless.gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpie eyes View Post
take a benadryl before putting on glovez
its what i do... im highly allergic to the resin glands in the air.

if i reach into a resinous canopy -for example- its kinda like the red marks you get when a pine needle pricks your skin.

i take allegra.
works perfect.

if i touch my eyes when trimming or something, im talking about rivers of snot.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:16 PM #10
Zomboy

Zomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud ofZomboy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by useless.gardens View Post
its what i do... im highly allergic to the resin glands in the air.

if i reach into a resinous canopy -for example- its kinda like the red marks you get when a pine needle pricks your skin.

i take allegra.
works perfect.

if i touch my eyes when trimming or something, im talking about rivers of snot.
I basically get the same symptoms. If i break up weed and then touch my eyes, bad news..
Zomboy is offline Quote