Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Laws & Cannabis Legislation > Possession Limits Pre & Post Legalization In Your State??

Thread Title Search
Possession Limits Pre & Post Legalization In Your State?? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2020, 06:11 AM #1
grwingpainz

grwingpainz is on a distinguished road
Possession Limits Pre & Post Legalization In Your State??

Can anyone let me know what your states possession limits were before legalization and post. Just landed myself in a jam but in a state that is about to legalize within next yr or so… As I’m searching penalties in neighboring legal states it seems that my charges hold little to no real jail time and for sure no felonies. Can someone help calm a guys nerves and share how your state dealt with things differently after legalization?

I’m really looking to hear how other states have down graded their penalties, NormL doesn’t show previous penalties. My hope is my state will lower the penalties when/if we legalize this yr and my case won’t mean much… High hopes lol. So I’m curious how far other states down graded their charges.
grwingpainz is offline Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 08:21 AM #2
I'mback
Comfortably numb!

I'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivor
In Canada prior to legalization you were under the jurisprudence of the laws at the time. Not what the laws would become. Legalization has much stiffer penalties.

I don't want you to trust me. I want you to doubt me.
I want you to question me. I want you to look at the facts! ~ Snowden

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,

but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...

I'mback is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:24 AM #3
grwingpainz

I am in the USA and it seems most of the states that have become legal expunge the records of those whose charges become no longer a crime or felonies that become misdemeanor.

For the most part all legal states have downgraded their charges/penalties after legalization.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:57 PM #4
MedFaced

MedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant future
Only a few municipalities are going full expungement that I’m aware of and only certain charges. I had a case dismissed but it’s still on the record. The dismissal was part of a plea agreement and had nothing to do with the change in laws. I caught my case in 2012ish and nothing changed after recreational in CA.

I can say I’ve never been arrested on most job applications, but a simple google search on one of those websites will show a history. I’ve never checked to see what actually pops up or how much detail is available. Even with recreational laws in effect, jobs are still testing for and excluding cannabis users in most industries.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:32 PM #5
grwingpainz

Cali seems to be the best state for this. I can only pray my state acts in the same way.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...401-story.html

https://www.civilized.life/articles/...automatically/

Old 01-21-2020, 09:38 PM #6
MedFaced

MedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant futureMedFaced has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwingpainz View Post
Cali seems to be the best state for this. I can only pray my state acts in the same way.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...401-story.html

https://www.civilized.life/articles/...automatically/
I just reached out to the Los Angelos DA’s office. They aren’t allowed to discuss my case in regards to AB 1793 without me hiring an attorney. When I google my name a criminal record still appears. If I ever get anything in the mail from the state, I’ll post about it. It would be really cool, but I’m not expecting any change for myself. The bill seems to focus on getting folks out of the jails rather than expungement. I’d be happy if they just sealed it up but an expungement would be awesome.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:54 PM #7
flylowgethigh
grassyhopper

flylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivor
It's not a felony until over a key here.

Your best bet may be to get a good lawyer and stall out until legalization occurs. Don't skimp out on lawyers and the crookeder the better. Bribes are still part and parcel of the legal system.

https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU?t=87

Last edited by flylowgethigh; 01-22-2020 at 03:49 PM..
flylowgethigh is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:58 PM #8
grwingpainz

I would suggest contacting a mj lawyer for a free consultation on whether or not your eligible. It's my understanding that in CA if your crime was once a felony and is now a misdemeanor they will reduce, if it was a misdemeanor then and is now a non crime they expunge.

Expungement is not in the cards for me but I'll gladly take any misdemeanor charges!

Old 01-21-2020, 10:01 PM #9
grwingpainz

I'm actually on the east coast and your 100% right, I'm outta here the week I leave jail! Where to?... Not sure just yet but there has to be somewhere better than here.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:08 PM #10
grwingpainz

I'd be really interested in hearing from people in Mass about this topic. Seems like your possession penalties are light.