What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pulling a Vacuum on a 1/2 Gallon Jar - or Bigger

St. Phatty

Since the friend showed me how to vacuum seal using the canning jars, I've been getting ready to do that with part of this year's crop.

But when I start cramming buds into the 1 1/2 pint jars that have the bigger mouth, it becomes obvious they will only hold so much.

Also, vacuums being what they are, and 15 psi being what it is, I'm reluctant to "go big" on a vacuum sealed container.

If you vacuum seal a jar with a 6 inch diameter bottom, that's about 28 square inches. = 420 Pounds !!! force on the bottom.

Has anybody ever tried that ?

Would like to find a way to store the buds without air, and without crushing them.

Something easier than storing them in outer space.

M

moose eater

I suspect a 100% vacuum will be difficult to obtain. It's more apt to be a matter of degrees (not temperature, but rather how significant or complete an absence of air/oxygen).

I've used bag-type vacuum sealers with jars inside them, acknowledging that there needs to be a large enough bag to allow sufficient area in the bag, so as not to have the vacuum 'pucker up' the seal around the jar to the extent that it causes the seal to fail.

Otherwise, I've used zip-locks with limited air in them, inside vac bags, then cancelled the vacuum on an adjustable vacuum sealer, so as to not crush the material or compact it too badly, but getting rid of the majority of air in the bag, then into the freezer it goes, typically after several weeks curing in double-sealed bags at room temp..

I've noted over time that even at -15 f. in my freezers, the sealed bags continue to improve, i.e., they continue to cure, just at a slower rate than at room temperature, with slower degradation over time.

To quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that..."

Speed of green

you can seal a mason jar inside a vacuum bag, it will not implode, backfilling with an inert gas is recommended for long term storage. terpenes are volatile and evaporate readily under vacuum, I think lightly vacuumed in a mason jar with iron oxide absorbent will work if stored in a cool dark place shielded from UV radiation.

St. Phatty

you can seal a mason jar inside a vacuum bag, it will not implode, backfilling with an inert gas is recommended for long term storage. terpenes are volatile and evaporate readily under vacuum, I think lightly vacuumed in a mason jar with iron oxide absorbent will work if stored in a cool dark place shielded from UV radiation.

I don't expect that little $25 vacuum thing from Walmart would pull a perfect vacuum.

I think just getting rid of 90% of the air will help to slow down perishable-ness.

If the Terpenes evaporate into the vacuum - where do they go ? Suspended in mid-air, then end up coating the glass surface of the jar ?

I'm not crazy about losing flavor. Though if it was only 1/2 as skunky - it would still be skunky.

Mainly I want to preserve the Cannabinoids - the THC, the CBD, the CBN. And have a smooth smoke when it does get smoked.

Anyway, I got through 2 boxes of 24 ounce jars, with the straight wall sides, for the larger buds. It's hard to pack if it doesn't have straight sides.

I have a few bags of smaller Nuggier buds. With those kind of buds I don't need to be quite so careful packing the jar.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Be VERY careful about putting colas in jars for storage. Even if they seem very very dry, moisture gets trapped in the large, main stem and seeps out right where the bud attaches to the main stem. In my case, that's where the mold started. I ended up loosing a ton of long term stored weed because of that.

I love the way the big cola tops look so I always stored them like that. After finding mold, 2 or 3 times, all at that same place, I started clipping the buds off the main stems before storing them. Have not had any problems since.

Might not happen to everyone but it happened to me several times so I stop storing colas on the stem. Just FYI. You mileage may vary.

St. Phatty

Be VERY careful about putting colas in jars for storage. Even if they seem very very dry, moisture gets trapped in the large, main stem and seeps out right where the bud attaches to the main stem. In my case, that's where the mold started. I ended up loosing a ton of long term stored weed because of that.

Sounds like, a Grower can never "over-inspect" the crop when it's perishable.

I'm hoping that the absence of air and the cold will help slow down any mold.

But yeah, I need to open a jar from the first batch and see what's going on.

Speed of green

I don't expect that little $25 vacuum thing from Walmart would pull a perfect vacuum.

I think just getting rid of 90% of the air will help to slow down perishable-ness.

If the Terpenes evaporate into the vacuum - where do they go ? Suspended in mid-air, then end up coating the glass surface of the jar ?

I'm not crazy about losing flavor. Though if it was only 1/2 as skunky - it would still be skunky.

Mainly I want to preserve the Cannabinoids - the THC, the CBD, the CBN. And have a smooth smoke when it does get smoked.

Anyway, I got through 2 boxes of 24 ounce jars, with the straight wall sides, for the larger buds. It's hard to pack if it doesn't have straight sides.

I have a few bags of smaller Nuggier buds. With those kind of buds I don't need to be quite so careful packing the jar.

the terpenes that evaporate inside a sealed container will be minimal with a weak vacuum.

what is your curing method? IMHO a 10-14 day dry followed by a 6-8 week cure will bring most any strain near peak ripeness. if smoothness and cannabinoid retention are your main objectives you have a fairly specific target. Maybe a longer curing method will allow for less long term storage? or maybe stagger your grow so you always have ripe meds?

5 gallon buckets and gamma lids do well for curing larger amounts.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I've been wondering if the oxygen absorbent packs absorb terps and flavor as Bovidas seem to do.
Experience, anyone?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I love the way the big cola tops look so I always stored them like that. After finding mold, 2 or 3 times, all at that same place, I started clipping the buds off the main stems before storing them. Have not had any problems since.

Might not happen to everyone but it happened to me several times so I stop storing colas on the stem. Just FYI. You mileage may vary.

I've had that happen. Just a little spot of white mold right in that little airspace.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,
Have you tried using Boveda humidity packs in a vacuum?

minds_I

PS. My curring method is simply leave the buds hang in my garage for 30+ days, store in 1/2 gal ball jars with a boveda pack....keep in a cool dry place and I have great buds year to year.

This year its about 2 lbs of cookie-glue....very good bud...Mendocino clone company...

methias

I got a Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer FCARWJAH-000 wide mouth jar kit with regular sealer and hose.

I made a vacuum pump from pvc pipe and fittings. Works great
I can pump a jar down to 24 inches hg.
You still need a tool to remove the lid 3 months later so I know it's holding.

But get the smoked glass jars. It helps to keep the light out.:tiphat:

Vape on kids

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Yeah, That's the way ya do it.
Half gallon jars in 5 seconds and you need a tool to break the vacuum seal getting 'em open.

picture.php

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
:yeahthats

Is that the same vac pump like an A/C guy uses to purge refrigerant lines?

I've been using a plain old "Foodsaver" with the Ball jar attachment for more than 30 years...
works well enough for me...

I still have my old Tilla brand foodsaver from the '80's...Made in Italy.
The bag sealing heat element burnt out, but the vacuum pump still works...

I usually use half gallon jars, but still have quart jars half full of weed I grew 5 years ago...
It starts losing the green color after a few years, but damn is it some smooth, mellow smoke!

A couple years ago I started using black enamel spray paint to paint the outside of the jars...

Even though I store my stash of jars in a box in the back of the closet, I guess a little light gets in..

In another couple years I'll give you a report on if the spray painting works..

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Ypu can try connecting a vacuum pump to an unheated pressure cooker with mason jars inside. It is similar to boiling them. Have not tested that may want to store in cardboard or plastic in case one breaks.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
:yeahthats

Is that the same vac pump like an A/C guy uses to purge refrigerant lines?

Yup, Harbor Freight. I put the gage and valve on there. The gage is useful to be sure you've got it. The valve is useless. The trick is snap the gray hose connector out quickly to make a good seal. After a few uses the lids need to be replaced. They're cheep. Sometimes the lids get damaged breaking the seal with a screwdriver and prying against the glass thread because the vac is so strong. I have three year old stuff that people are crazy about.

I have a food saver too. Doesn't come close to this beast.

Latest posts

Latest posts