What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What fumes kill mold on harvested buds and dissipate completely?

capnCõno

I have a white mold issue on my harvest. Is there anything I can put in the jars which will evaporate and completely permeate the buds to kill the mold, then completely dissipate?

With a name like brown thumb maybe have someone else grow your med.... well if u or your buddies have a legit medical condition and are unhealthy there's really nuthin u can do without some expensive extraction and laboratory equipment ...

BUT I'm sure this will not be liked but there is a BIG BUT .... u may be able to treat it with a product call prokure...there are hella ppl with brown thumbs growin molded weed, except they do it in multi million dollar rec med grows ... it's sad to say but facts are they don't throw there shit out they sell it in store... they harvest and spray soak the weed in prokure liquid.. it kills the mold drys out harmless n the mold coated flowers pass lab tests n gets put up for sale... would I smoke it fuk no , don't expect it to taste or smell like it was grown correctly but it may make it safer to consume..if u have any respiratory issues or legit med issues sickness don't try it .. if u just got pain management issues insomnia etc etc it may be an option... if u cook or hash or smoke or do anything with it I strongly suggest u wash it with prokure first.. I don't know if it will make it better but it will make it acceptable for sale in any shop...

St. Phatty

I have a white mold issue on my harvest. Is there anything I can put in the jars which will evaporate and completely permeate the buds to kill the mold, then completely dissipate?

Do you mean, everything is covered ?

Once I lost an AK47 or Ice Princess bud to mold.

But not the entire bud.

FREEZING will slow down or stop the mold-spreading process.

Maybe trim off the good parts & store them in the freezer ?

if you smoke them in a water pipe, should be good.

bibi40

Im not so sure, could be safe for edibles but I prob wouldn’t especially for use as medicine
There are threads on here (ic)on how to turn molded weed Into bho.
Requires some specialized micron level filters if I recall correctly, I’ve never tried it.
I just toss any molded stuff in the trash n get sad for a time.
It passes eventually

Yes you can go to Bho with , it' s the only thing you can do .

:tiphat:

CimbaKat

With a name like brown thumb maybe have someone else grow your med.... well if u or your buddies have a legit medical condition and are unhealthy there's really nuthin u can do without some expensive extraction and laboratory equipment ...

BUT I'm sure this will not be liked but there is a BIG BUT .... u may be able to treat it with a product call prokure...there are hella ppl with brown thumbs growin molded weed, except they do it in multi million dollar rec med grows ... it's sad to say but facts are they don't throw there shit out they sell it in store... they harvest and spray soak the weed in prokure liquid.. it kills the mold drys out harmless n the mold coated flowers pass lab tests n gets put up for sale... would I smoke it fuk no , don't expect it to taste or smell like it was grown correctly but it may make it safer to consume..if u have any respiratory issues or legit med issues sickness don't try it .. if u just got pain management issues insomnia etc etc it may be an option... if u cook or hash or smoke or do anything with it I strongly suggest u wash it with prokure first.. I don't know if it will make it better but it will make it acceptable for sale in any shop...

Lol if you dance with the devil... you gon get burnt ... I say take it as a life lesson and dont make the same mistake twice. Chuck that shit in the garbage and learn more about your craft is my take.

Last edited:

brown_thumb

Thanks. I'll research Prokure. This is strictly for extraction to make edibles and topical application for arthritic pain. For personal medication only. I never sell.

brown_thumb

Do you mean, everything is covered ?

Once I lost an AK47 or Ice Princess bud to mold.

But not the entire bud.

FREEZING will slow down or stop the mold-spreading process.

Maybe trim off the good parts & store them in the freezer ?

if you smoke them in a water pipe, should be good.

Gosh no... just little fuzzy spots in two or three places in the entire lot.

brown_thumb

Yes you can go to Bho with , it' s the only thing you can do.

I have one of those stainless steel tubes for flushing with butane. I've used it with very good success along with a small vacuum assisted purging unit. Will that block most mold contamination? I can't afford pricey equipment and won't be making much anyway.

And what about cryogenic ethanol extraction? I've successfully done that too.

brown_thumb

Lol if you dance with the devil... you gon get burnt ... I say take it as a life lesson and dont make the same mistake twice. Chuck that shit in the garbage and learn more about your craft is my take.

The issue is, I and two others need the meds now and none of us can afford to dish out thousands to big pharma... not that we'd buy their poisons anyway. We can't afford to buy street crap either. We're down to the wire. If I lose this crop I probably won't bother to try again.

M

moose eater

Spores from molds are microscopic. You'd be getting mold spores into your smoke, if you were ingesting by that means.

I can't speak to the question re. freezing and extracting, making the filtration more fine than the size of the mold spores. Maybe.. Maybe not.

Mold will not typically grow without suitable moisture levels, so there was some amount of excess moisture, or you probably wouldn't have seen what you did.

brown_thumb

Okay, when I moved here from a US Air Force training base, the culture shock was... unsettling... lazy, unskilled, uncaring, rude peers. Not all of them but the two allowed to manage the place... and no one ever questioned their 'logic'.

I'm not sure why I mentioned that except the first building I worked in was very seriously infested with bats, rats, cockroaches, and black mold... deep as black as night on the ceiling and running down the walls like spilled black paint.

I'm convinced the constant exposure to those pathogens is what's killing me. But I can't prove it.

Hookahhead

First of all my condolences friend, getting hit with mold at the end is a terrible feeling we all experience at one time or another in this hobby. As others have said, use this setback as a learning experience since it’s a persistent enemy.

In my youth, we definitely consumed stuff that was questionable. Every year we would find it in our outdoor crops. We would throw the bad shit away, but the goal was salvage as much as possible. We also burned through our fair share of brick weed that I’m positive wouldn’t pass state testing.

As others have stated it’s not recommended to use any moldy product in a medicinal application. Mycotoxins (Wikipedia) are nasty compounds that can do serious damage in minute quantities. That being said, neither Botrytis or powdery mildew are known to produce mycotoxins. In fact Botrytis is used as a “beneficial” in the wine industry, which would be an example of alcoholic extraction of a product with Botrytis infection. An extraction for ingestion or topical application would greatly limit the risk of exposure to spores themselves.

Consumption is a personal choice, and desperate times can make us take risks we may not take otherwise. If I were in this position and had no other options... I would remove any absolutely molded material, and if possible the material immediately surrounding the infected area. Honestly, due to the lifecycle there is most likely mold in areas where you can’t see. I would cold ethanol extract like you suggested, and evaporate the solvent on a hot plate decarbing the oil in the process. Then I would take the dried extract and dissolve it in an oil of your choice (probably coconut) in the bottom of a crockpot. When it’s fully dissolved add a large amount of water and let it simmer for 30 min to an hour. Refrigerate the mixture to collect your oil layer like making butter. Dump the water, turn the oil into a topical or baked edibles. The idea is that many compounds may be removed/neutralized through the various chemical processes involved. However, since we don’t even know what potentially dangerous compound we’re trying to avoid, we can’t truly be certain this product would be “safe” for everyone.

Good luck, keep at it.

M

moose eater

Black mold is nasty stuff, but (maybe you're already aware) many military posts were also dumping grounds for a WIDE variety of serious human-made toxins.

A friend who's a former heavy equipment operator, now trying to retire, recalled coming across a stratified layering of visible whitish material where they were excavating an air-strip on post at one location that I'll abstain from specifically mentioning for his sake. Within minutes of uncovering the referenced stratified layering, the operator who was on-scene (not my friend) was ill, and vomiting.

When I worked as a civilian contractor to Uncle Sam's destruction, in a specific professional capacity, it was not incredibly uncommon at that post for reports of abandoned drums, decades old, to be found in the bush, seeping "an unknown liquid" into the streams and rivers, off post. Clearly of military origin..

A village located east of Delta Jct, Alaska and west of Tok Jct., to my past understanding, won a court settlement against Uncle re. left-over damages from bio and chemical weapons testing in that area decades earlier, and complications caused to residents years later..

The Presidio was donated by Uncle to (if I recall correctly) the City of San Francisco, and was later I.D.ed as a SuperFund site, due to contamination.

If you can afford to, or have good insurance, get tested for heavy metals, bio and/or chem weapons residuals, and any tests they can run for mold toxicity.

And, as I assume you're aware of the way Uncle functions, don't anticipate that if there was such contamination, that Uncle will be eager to cop to his criminal negligence. His M.O. is, and has been, deny, deny, deny...

But get checked, if you can. Just sayin'.

All of that aside, my understanding re. black mold, or most serious mold, is that spores can remain viable for a long time, but will not grow unless conditions are right.. including moisture.

mowood3479

Veteran
Search .3 micron syringe filters on eBay.
U can get a pack of em for $25 bucks
Cut the molded material out.
Run the butane n filter thru the micron filter.
Purge
Should be ok after that.

**(There mayb more steps haven’t looked at the thread in years)

brown_thumb

Black mold is nasty stuff, but (maybe you're already aware) many military posts were also dumping grounds for a WIDE variety of serious human-made toxins.

A friend who's a former heavy equipment operator, now trying to retire, recalled coming across a stratified layering of visible whitish material where they were excavating an air-strip on post at one location that I'll abstain from specifically mentioning for his sake. Within minutes of uncovering the referenced stratified layering, the operator who was on-scene (not my friend) was ill, and vomiting.

When I worked as a civilian contractor to Uncle Sam's destruction, in a specific professional capacity, it was not incredibly uncommon at that post for reports of abandoned drums, decades old, to be found in the bush, seeping "an unknown liquid" into the streams and rivers, off post. Clearly of military origin..

A village located east of Delta Jct, Alaska and west of Tok Jct., to my past understanding, won a court settlement against Uncle re. left-over damages from bio and chemical weapons testing in that area decades earlier, and complications caused to residents years later..

The Presidio was donated by Uncle to (if I recall correctly) the City of San Francisco, and was later I.D.ed as a SuperFund site, due to contamination.

If you can afford to, or have good insurance, get tested for heavy metals, bio and/or chem weapons residuals, and any tests they can run for mold toxicity.

And, as I assume you're aware of the way Uncle functions, don't anticipate that if there was such contamination, that Uncle will be eager to cop to his criminal negligence. His M.O. is, and has been, deny, deny, deny...

But get checked, if you can. Just sayin'.

All of that aside, my understanding re. black mold, or most serious mold, is that spores can remain viable for a long time, but will not grow unless conditions are right.. including moisture.

RE human toxins: The photo lab where I worked was in the basement of an old Army hospital... the morgue. Although it was a historic building, the Army chose to knock it down because contamination remediation was too pricey.

RE moisture: The plumbing failed in upper floors several times, leaving standing water in the basement two inches deep. This is why the mold was active and so prolific.

brown_thumb

Purge
Should be ok after that.

Really?? I'll research that.:)

therevverend

Veteran
Gosh no... just little fuzzy spots in two or three places in the entire lot.

Then why would you throw it all away? Remove that stuff when you're harvesting. If it pops up when you're drying remove anything suspicious. You don't want to smoke anything questionable but the mold-free stuff is fine. Using a magnifier is a good idea.

The issue is, I and two others need the meds now and none of us can afford to dish out thousands to big pharma... not that we'd buy their poisons anyway. We can't afford to buy street crap either. We're down to the wire. If I lose this crop I probably won't bother to try again.

If it's just a few spots, can you trim them out?
How does it look under a scope or loupe?

IF I were in a hurry, I'd probably try the alcohol wash and evap method that Hookah mentioned earlier.

If I had a month or 2, I might put the jar in the freezer and let the temps kill the mold.

Moldy stuff will make me sneeze...and after 2 months in the freezer, it didn't make me sneeze any more.

Your mileage may vary. But that was my experience.

Purge
Should be ok after that.

I saw a 10 pack on amazon for $10, under the brand name Biomed Scientific.
Double check the micron size, as they come in several different ones.