What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TN hemp...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
scouting for rifle season the other day. found myself in a hemp field of about 500 high-CBD plants, with 12 different varieties supposedly. fellow watering the plants gave me a bud from a plant he had just harvested. still drying. it was cool looking at what grew in the different rows. some of it was coke-bottle sized buds on popsicle sticks, some of it was a dozen or more fine looking tops like a big-ass candelabra...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
twisted up a joint out of his bud. tasted far better than what i have been buying in stores. "might" be because it is much fresher...looking forward to trying some of his other varieties as he harvests them.:tiphat:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
So down in North Alabama a farmer decided to grow 800ac of hemp this year. They started with sprouts from who-knows-where. Now that the plants are maturing it is obvious the sprouts were a mix of strains since some are still very bushy and others have lostthe fn leaves with big buds.

So I drove by yesterday around noon to see how they are harvesting this mish-mash of hemp plants. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them using a contraption in front of a tractor tht cut and mulched the whole plant before dumping the mulchd mix in a trailer running alongside.

And it was drizzling!!! So that freshly cut and mulched harvest, with wet leafy plants, dry plants, and stalks is now I suppose get put in big bags and shipped up to KY to be made into something. But what? And won't it mold if it isn't processed like today?

He has built 2 big greenhouses so maybe his sprout stock will get more consistent, and he learns about drying and not destroying the trichs in the shredder.

Meridianville. There were state troopers guarding the field 24/7 .

Last edited:

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This wasn't in the Maryville area was it?

GrowingHigher

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them using a contraption in front of a tractor tht cut and mulched the whole plant before dumping the mulchd mix in a trailer running alongside.

And it was drizzling!!! So that freshly cut and mulched harvest, with wet leafy plants, dry plants, and stalks is now I suppose get put in big bags and shipped up to KY to be made into something. But what? And won't it mold if it isn't processed like today?

Probably wet baled and sent for extraction. I've seen wet baled hemp sit 1 year+ and be fine for extraction. You loose some cannabinoid, but it doesn't rot like you would think. It kind of looked like a fermented oolong tea, and smelled sweet. Not unpleasant.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The tee vee news was reporting that there was a big auction for "hemp" which was a bust. I saw those tote bags of ground up hemp sitting on the warehouse floor, which they say are not selling well at the big market someone organized. Report said farmers thought they had gold and buyers said it was crap (my interpertation). :biggrin:

I also would not want to take CBD from a converted cotton field unless the extraction removed ALL contaminants. At least not for the first few years.

https://agfax.com/2019/11/22/hemp-tennessee-auction-falls-flat-for-growers/

https://www.hempauctionmarket.com

Hahaha, while I was at a head shop looking for butane I met a local hemp grower who claims he does it right, trying to drum up business. He gave me a pre-roll which I dumped in the Volcano and tried a 300* bag to taste the flavor. Not bad really. His farm was a cow pasture - perfect!

That shop is selling hemp flowers at $285/oz + 10%tax!!!! Grams over $10. That farmer machine trims and has kief. I'll get those heads priced right I bet.

Anybody combine in some CBD material to get a real full spectrum effect?

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
This wasn't in the Maryville area was it?

nah. he's about as far east & north in Tennessee as you can go without forgetting how to drive & becoming a Virginian...:tiphat: poor devils. they drive great in Virginia, but forget what in hell they are doing when they cross state line. friends tell me that when you turn 16 in SW Virginia, they give you a drivers license & a map to Kingsport, lol...:biggrin: