Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > Raised Beds vs. Smart Pots vs. In-Ground

Thread Title Search
Raised Beds vs. Smart Pots vs. In-Ground Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2019, 10:54 PM #1
Self Sufficient

Self Sufficient has a spectacular aura aboutSelf Sufficient has a spectacular aura aboutSelf Sufficient has a spectacular aura aboutSelf Sufficient has a spectacular aura aboutSelf Sufficient has a spectacular aura about
Raised Beds vs. Smart Pots vs. In-Ground

I'm not really sure what all the pros and cons of each are. Can someone give me a rundown of their pros and cons?
Self Sufficient is offline Quote

Old 08-29-2019, 06:00 AM #2
festerous

festerous has much to be proud offesterous has much to be proud offesterous has much to be proud offesterous has much to be proud offesterous has much to be proud offesterous has much to be proud offesterous has much to be proud offesterous has much to be proud offesterous has much to be proud offesterous has much to be proud offesterous has much to be proud of
I prefer planting in ground as it offers the largest thermal battery.
festerous is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:05 AM #3
smokinfat024

smokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the rough
You can get more pulls in with pots cuz u can veg them somewhere else if that’s possible for you but I keep seeing ppl use raised beds. I’ve only ever done a 20x10 carport dep before but next year gonna do a larger one. Can’t wait it’s all I been thinking about.
smokinfat024 is offline Quote

Old 08-29-2019, 07:37 PM #4
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud of
You can get the same pulls with beds and pots.
Everyone i know with beds veg in pots and then transplant them into the bed.

I like pots. Because you can move a plant over to fill space if you want. It's more contained root zone then beds. You can get more dry/water cycles.

It's very difficult to go directly in the ground. The main reason is drainage. If it's raining out at all, your medium will be soaked with rain water. Everything will be moist and gross. Molds and weird shit. You also will have a hard time flushing anything out of your soil if you decide to. The native soil is probably not as good as a potting mix you build.

I like to put ground cover on the ground that you can keep neat and clean. Sweep it or wash it. Put containers on that.

Last edited by CrushnYuba; 08-29-2019 at 07:52 PM..
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:54 AM #5
smokinfat024

smokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the rough
CrushnYuba do you try an go for 3 pulls a year usually? What size pots do you use? Do you veg in 1 gallons until they go into their final pot an get flipped?

I have a cpl 20x10 car ports and a 48’ green greenhouse skin I got from forever flowering a few years back. I’m wanting to use that for the veg house then toss em in the bigger gh I’m building this winter. Since this is my first year doing a bigger dep I’m gonna shoot for two pulls then the following year try for 3 like the humboldt light dep calendar schedule is.

Gonna have my full term plants in the bigger gh until they go outside. Still unsure if I’m doing clones or fem seeds next year. I keep seeing these big ass seed plants on ig an youtube lol got me wanting to give it a try.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:16 PM #6
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond reputewvkindbud38 has a reputation beyond repute
Great thread, I'm honestly believe I'd rather have a plastic pot, but some of the Fabric ones are ok, ecogardener.com has some really nice grow bags. I've grew a few plants in the ground with success, but it's not ideal for me....Plastic is my choice, or the fabric pots

WV's this and that!!! on going flowering thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=368874

Mars-Hydro SP 250 grow just finished!!!!!....back going!!!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362317

Silverbacks complete threads
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

My Albums
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?u=65286

TerraBloom
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...QaZKmHQ57WSI9K

www. mikrobs.com

https://microbialapplications.myshop...ollections/all
wvkindbud38 is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:27 AM #7
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud of
usually shoot for 3 pulls. 4 isn't really doable here. I rather do 2 solid pulls then 4 half assed. 3 is a tight squeeze but doable. You basically have to put them in and flip them within a week. and they have to be 60 day.
May- Halloween is when Sun is usually good enough for flower. That's only 6 months.

1s are too small for me for veg. 1 gallon pots are usually about .6- .7 of a gallon. They are "trade gallons". Not actual gallons. To get a plant to a nice flipable size, i like 2-3 real gallons.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 AM #8
armedoldhippy

armedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivor
Red face

i'm going to try raised beds this coming spring, if for no other reason than not having to bend over. this getting old shit sucks...

Old 09-05-2019, 07:48 AM #9
smokinfat024

Was in my neighbors gh today it was 110 and 95 outside. It felt nice inside there tho def not 110 maybe it was the humidity that made it feel nicer?

I can’t help but think his plants grow slower cuz he doesn’t use fans and the plants are in a constant humid environment at night when covered. He only has one side of the gh sidewalls open an the other is closed.

The plants looked great tho nice an perky

Old 09-12-2019, 04:44 AM #10
Self Sufficient

Self Sufficient has a spectacular aura aboutSelf Sufficient has a spectacular aura aboutSelf Sufficient has a spectacular aura aboutSelf Sufficient has a spectacular aura aboutSelf Sufficient has a spectacular aura about
Thank you so much for the replies everyone. Here's a list I put together.

Raised Bed Pros:
-don't have to bend down so far to access plants
-better drainage than in-ground
-larger soil volume than pots
-can use native soil or your own mix

Raised Bed Cons:
-can't move plants once planted

Container Pros:
-can move plants around to best efficiency

-easier to use your own soil mix
-best drainage
-less mold/mildew