Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > Greenhouse and heater question.

Thread Title Search
Greenhouse and heater question. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2018, 02:01 AM #11
LostTribe
Cinderella Connoisseur

LostTribe has a reputation beyond reputeLostTribe has a reputation beyond reputeLostTribe has a reputation beyond reputeLostTribe has a reputation beyond reputeLostTribe has a reputation beyond reputeLostTribe has a reputation beyond reputeLostTribe has a reputation beyond reputeLostTribe has a reputation beyond reputeLostTribe has a reputation beyond reputeLostTribe has a reputation beyond reputeLostTribe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerlion View Post
#1Cheesebuds, dairy room heaters are small and very efficient. One or two should serve you well. I switched to them instead of propane. Only $20 per heater.
Peace. MedDakotabis
If you are using propane burners and you seal up the green house you would have the advantage of supplemental CO2 though?

C99 The Ultimate Search and Rescue Mission
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=334331

Treating Cancer with Concentrates
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=301121
LostTribe is offline Quote

Old 11-21-2018, 10:18 AM #12
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud of
Unvented sucks. You have to keep in mind greenhouses aren't insulated well so they have to run allot more then if it was in a building.

Burning propane puts out allot of unwanted moisture. And unwanted gasses. I have seen plants get sick in greenhouses with unvented heaters. I have seen it happen a few times. Also u mostly have to heat at night and you don't need extra c02 at night.
I would rather pay more for electric. I use pellet heat in my greenhouse and it kicks ass and is dirt cheap. Pellet stoves and furnaces are not cheap but they are cheap to run.

Vented furnaces only for me
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 11-21-2018, 05:24 PM #13
xavier7995

xavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivorxavier7995 is a survivor
I am real excited to see how my little greenhouse does this winter, came with the house. It is only 4 or 5 x 8 or so. The thing is really well constructed and has misters and a swamp cooler for the summer with a thermostat, there is a plug for heat...but so far havent put anything in there and stuff hasnt died. Hopefully i can keep the weed going through December, i think trying to extend into January and February without supplementing heat would be a mistake.

The recommendations for some of the smaller heaters are really helpful, keep em coming.
xavier7995 is online now Quote

Old 11-21-2018, 11:01 PM #14
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud of
Wow. That's a really intense 4x5x8 greenhouse. Don't think i have ever seen something so small so tricked out.

For small heaters. To heat a little hobby g house. I think there are really only 2 options. A little electric space heater like farmer lion suggested. Or an RV propane furnace.
A 1500w space heater produces about 5k btu. Most Little 12v Propane rv furnaces put out about 16k or so after accounting for efficiency loss. They are the smallest VENTED furnaces you can get. You get a Little thermostat for them and they turn on and off when needed.
The only little hobby greenhouse i have is for keeping moms alive in the dead of winter. I use a propane rv furnace i picked up off eBay used for 200$. You can find em used everywhere.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:02 AM #15
Steven/nevetS

Steven/nevetS is on a distinguished road
What about placing oil drums filled with water / or conductive non flamamabe / ignition free fluid to collect the daytime temps when the sides are up, closing at night?
May not hold the temps all night through but could even go a step further running a hot pipe & cold pipe; hot pipe running along side or through with the cold pipe also having the abbility to dump hot and cold into enclosed and qealed barrells with an overflow?
Or even just recirculate, feed aquaponics.
Possibilites could keep going.
But ambient heat from day to day & fans kept just bellow their min optimal speed?
For starters to see how it goes?
Steven/nevetS is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:05 AM #16
vacuumlungs

vacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the rough
Being in Texas, I’d definitely put as many black water containers on the south side as possible. An electric space heater and water in black or dark color containers would be your best bet.
vacuumlungs is offline Quote

Old 10-02-2019, 07:09 PM #17
CrushnYuba

Drums don't do much. We have tried all sorts off shit. They take up allot allot of space. U need do many too even make the smallest difference. We tried burying them halfway with a tractor and growing on top of them. They just don't do enough really..
I have been using these small vented diesel furnaces that are super cheap and way convenient. They work great for smaller houses. They won't do my big houses though. They are about 200$ and they put out the hear equivalent of 4-5 space heaters. U can use kerosene or heating oil in them. I use off road died red tractor diesel.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:35 PM #18
romanoweed

romanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to behold
I can imagine in Texas you have often no clouds even in winter. I heard you can put just Rocks into the Grenhouse, where The Sun shines on, and they will store some sungenereated heat, wich they will give away at start of night. Easy trick, just place them in. Also the greenhouse-heatup does only happen IF sun shines, and again you in Texas do Profite more than in a more clowdy place. Third Thing is you can Build a wall at the northern Side of the greenhouse, and partly a the Roof, where no sunshine Comes from to SUBSTENTIALLY Isolate the greenhouse. I also agree, that some cannabisstrains can survive minustemperatures quiet well. They might stagnate Abit, but they dont die. Some Thais, or Nepal Strains can handle that quiet good. So i see not that big of Problem growing even equatorial thaistrains. If it gets 100 Percent topquality is questionable, but 80 percent Quality is enough , no? What you envision?

Oh and shure double glass would hold more warmth in, as plastic, but they filter uv wich is debatted to be important for resinproduction.. So, i would still take plastic, and it holds in Abit of heat (5 degrees celcius) . To my understanding intense sun could be same important if you want to have 100 percent Quality bud..

For that i have a possible solution on this exact page, preflowering the plants indoor (this is for 18 weeker Sativas rahter) : https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....360394&page=15

Last edited by romanoweed; 10-02-2019 at 07:47 PM..
romanoweed is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:45 PM #19
romanoweed

romanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to beholdromanoweed is a splendid one to behold
Another Thing is: if you use one layer of Plastic you Isolate a bit the heat.. if you just place a secound Layer of lastic a couple Centimeters apart you Isolate even more. Cause Air itselve doese Isolate heat, and trough Holding her at Place (therevore not mixing up) you gain more Isolation. So double layering is good for more isolation
romanoweed is online now Quote

Old 12-03-2019, 07:59 PM #20
Rico Swazi

Rico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to beholdRico Swazi is a splendid one to behold
I have friends north of San Antonio that use soil heating cables in a large bed in the greenhouse.
They harvest from their garden year round including cannabis.

I have two plants growing now in an indoor outdoor scenario that I have done before using seedling propagation mats for bottom heat.

I have found as long as the roots are relatively warm, the plants will grow despite cooler ambient temps.

Looking to chop in two weeks then reveg for a spring crop

I adhere to the principles of low input sustainable agriculture
Here to share my efforts to grow food and medicine
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362619
And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Rico Swazi is offline Quote