Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > Greenhouse and heater question.

Thread Title Search
Greenhouse and heater question. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2018, 06:38 PM #1
#1cheesebuds

#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of
Greenhouse and heater question.

If I bought a greenhouse to put in my backyard to keep my outdoor plants in the greenhouse this winter does it need a heater? I live in Texas so it doesn't freeze here as bad as every were else and we don't get snow that much either.

recommendations on what to get would be great.
#1cheesebuds is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:34 PM #2
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud of
It all depends what your goals are and where on Texas. Are you trying to grow ALL the way through winter? Are you trying to flower all the way through? Is this for light depp or is this just to keep your outdoor starts and genetics alive and thriving through winter. You may not really need heat. You could probably get away with a little space heater for the 2 days a year frost is predicted just to keep them from freezing. If you describe your goals and climate better, i can make a recommendation. I keep my greenhouse going all winter.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 10-31-2018, 11:26 PM #3
farmerlion
IC Mag Supporter

farmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant future
#1Cheesebuds, dairy room heaters are small and very efficient. One or two should serve you well. I switched to them instead of propane. Only $20 per heater.
Peace. MedDakotabis
farmerlion is offline Quote

Old 11-03-2018, 12:49 AM #4
#1cheesebuds

#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of#1cheesebuds has much to be proud of
My goals are to keep my outdoor plants alive the winner in a greenhouse.mostly just regular flowers and vegetable plants. but it would be nice to grow some cannabis cuttings out there in the mix get them to grow through the winter. Talking mother plants and clones along with vegetable plants.

So the person I'm living with and I both agree that it we don't want it to be ghetto looking but we also don't want to spend a fortune on something overly fancy. if I was rich that be another story.

PS: thanks for the info.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:00 AM #5
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud ofCrushnYuba has much to be proud of
So i got a thread called "diy steel frame greenhouse". Most of the pictures are gone i think but the info is great and I'll try to find some pics or take new ones. You can bend tube steel yourself super easy and dirt cheap. Indistinguishable from an expensive greenhouse kit and Will last FOREVER. I use pellet stoves in mine but mine are pretty big and it snows here. I bet you can get away with a space heater or 2 for your needs

How big of a greenhouse do you want? Keep in mind, if you want to grow during the winter you will need a couple regular light bulbs to extend days. If you are in a suburban place it will draw attention. During the summer, you will need to black it out for light depp or the plants will outgrow the greenhouse. You can do a cheap automated light depp that will solve both those issues.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:54 PM #6
#1cheesebuds

Thanks for the info Yuba ill look into that.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:08 PM #7
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivor
If you want to keep veges like tomatoes in the GH you'll need to keep temps no lower than 50F.

Otherwise cannabis can handle overnight temps below freezing for a couple hours at a time. I wouldn't let the GH get below freezing if it were me though.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 11-04-2018, 08:23 PM #8
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivor
Rocket mass heater. Simple to build and efficient to run. Being in a decent climate it would be perfect for you needs.
Lester Beans is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:04 AM #9
highsteppa

highsteppa is just really nicehighsteppa is just really nicehighsteppa is just really nicehighsteppa is just really nicehighsteppa is just really nicehighsteppa is just really nicehighsteppa is just really nicehighsteppa is just really nicehighsteppa is just really nicehighsteppa is just really nicehighsteppa is just really nice
I’d just get a forced hot air propane heater...IMO the heat is needed to mediate high night time humidity, esp late in flower.
highsteppa is offline Quote

Old 11-10-2018, 08:53 AM #10
CrushnYuba

For a cute little hobby greenhouse, you can use a propane rv furnace. They are cheap tiny little VENTED propane furnaces.