Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Laws & Cannabis Legislation > Government regulated cannabis is gamma-irradiated

Thread Title Search
Government regulated cannabis is gamma-irradiated Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2017, 05:41 PM #1
shaggyballs
Banned

shaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond repute
Government regulated cannabis is gamma-irradiated

It is no news that gamma radiation is utilized by companies that produce medicinal cannabis flowers in countries with national medicinal cannabis programs, such as The Netherlands and Canada. A recent study, published by Arno Hazekamp, Head of Research and Education at Bedrocan International BV, has sparked a discussion again, because the procedure remains controversial.

Pharmaceutical regulations demand gamma radiation treatment of herbal cannabis in order to meet strict safety standards regarding the (possible) microbial contamination of the plant.

However, patients, consumers and activists remain skeptical and express concerns about gamma radiation.

According to the research of patients’ organizations, like Canadians for Safe Access, one of the side effects of gamma radiation is the production of a new type of chemicals, which don’t occur naturally. Cancer-producing chemicals can develop as well, when fat is exposed to the procedure.

Derrick Bergman (known from Encod and VOC) has published a paper with the clear title “Medicinal cannabis in the Netherlands: most patients prefer coffeeshop over pharmacy”. In the document he expresses that some patients claim gamma radiation has negative effects on the quality of medicinal cannabis, while Bedrocan states that the process is a demand of the Office of Medical Cannabis.

The Dutch patients’ group PGMC (Stichting Patiënten Groep Medicinale Cannabis Gebruikers) points out that said study is missing the answer to one very important question: What happens to the irradiated products when vaporized/smoked or eaten?

Gamma-irradiated cannabis would have sterile seeds.
Could this method be used to control the cannabis seed?
Canadians are already forced to get your seeds from health Canada..WTF

Please people don't believe everything the man in the suit tells you! Please do your own research and decide where you put your money and who u are directly affecting by the choices you make in the shops and online...is your money going to local farmers who are trying to do good? Or are you supporting the 'mono culture' thats killing our environment, freedoms and Biodiversity.
Its your choice! People have the power, they just need to wake up!
shaggyballs is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:54 PM #2
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
"It is meant to prevent the potential greater harm of infecting a patient with harmful microbes. In my paper several sources are cited where this actually happened. It is weighing two ‘bad’ choices (risk of infection vs. irradiation) and picking the most sensible one. We should all hope for the development of new sterilization techniques for cannabis in the near future."– Hazekamp

So, imagine it could/would affect seeds. So, with that method of decreasing harmful microbes, cloning may be the viable alternative.

Seeds have the power to preserve species, to enhance cultural as well as genetic diversity, to counter economic monopoly and to check the advance of conformity on all its many fronts.
Michael Pollan
"Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble." ~John Lewis

afterthought autos
We are passionate auto breeders growing organically in the USA since 2008 and offer 34 autoflowering strains, 15 photoperiods, 10 CBD hemp hybrids in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 14.5 years, and running strong! We're on SEEDBAY again...trio of goodies - autos, photoperiods and CBD hemp strains!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:04 PM #3
resin_lung
I cough up honey oil

resin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant future
I've handled quite a bit of radioactive substances. Exposing something to gamma radiation does not mean that the substance is now radioactive. It is possible to make something that was previously stable to become unstable but gamma radiation won't do it. Gamma rays are actually very similar to X-rays. The fact that they're both a type of ray and not particles is a pretty good indicator. I believe the difference is basically that one is produced with electricity and one is the product of unstable atoms'N shit! lol the damage they both cause to DNA is very similar.

The point being that the bud isn't radioactive just as we aren't radioactive after receiving an x-ray.

It does do a number on seeds. Exactly what, depends on a ton of things. Mainly the dose and the state of the seed during exposure. The closer the seed is to being totally inactive, the better its chances will be. DNA can repair itself pretty well to a point. It seems that it takes a lot less to affect a seed that has been "awakened" or begun germinating then when it is in a state of suspended animation. I'm sure time is an issue as cells are dividing compared to when they are dormant and unless the dosage is so large that the DNA is damaged beyond repair, if given a small amount of time, I believe they can repair a lot of damage. Again, what exactly a large enough dose is..... who knows. I know that I've hit seeds with some VOLTAGE and when they were exposed while in a dormant state they seemed less affected (germination may have been postponed) than when exposure took place after germination had begun.

I understand the fear people have with this type of stuff. It's probably a healthy fear, because that shit is gnarly. The truth is that it's not that complicated a subject though. A dash of google will go a long way. I found that shit facinatinting.

Something that does amaze me is the amount of x-rays people get over a life time. I agree that x-rays are a godsend to medicine but I think they're over used. If you ever break the shit out of your leg, the doctor will first order an x-ray to see what's what. Then they'll cut you open, screw this to that and sew you back up. They will then order another x-ray be taken. That second X-ray is for shit! They wouldn't have closed you up if they weren't done and they already know what the xray is gonna reveal. It's taken for insurance purposes. Ask your doctor if that follow up X-ray is completely nessasary, because there is no safe doseage. Zero!

Edit:I'm sorry, I missed the part about "new chemicals" being produced. That's something I know nothing about. All apologies!

Last edited by resin_lung; 02-09-2017 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Im a moron!
resin_lung is offline Quote

Old 02-09-2017, 05:21 PM #4
Bob Green

Bob Green is a glorious beacon of lightBob Green is a glorious beacon of lightBob Green is a glorious beacon of lightBob Green is a glorious beacon of lightBob Green is a glorious beacon of lightBob Green is a glorious beacon of lightBob Green is a glorious beacon of lightBob Green is a glorious beacon of lightBob Green is a glorious beacon of lightBob Green is a glorious beacon of lightBob Green is a glorious beacon of light
Is that how they made that Bruice Banner strand?

Abomination Kush hahahaha
Bob Green is offline Quote

Old 02-09-2017, 09:51 PM #5
resin_lung
I cough up honey oil

resin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant futureresin_lung has a brilliant future
I'm not sure but it IS how Bruce Banner became the HULK!lol

Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 PM #6
armedoldhippy

armedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivor
Wink

not sure what type of radiation was used, but have read that irradiated seeds are more predominently female sex. isn't MOST, if not ALL, cannabis grown these days seedless unless you are breeding for seeds? if it makes it safer for patients by killing mold etc, i don't see a problem. some people though... "THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!" never waste a chance to panic, or to try to panic others.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 PM #7
resin_lung
I cough up honey oil

I don't recall ever hearing that irradiated seeds produced more female plants than males. It might be true though. I feel comfortable saying that I've read nearly every paper out there and more than a few textbooks having to do with subject of mutating plants, it's remembering what I read that's the problem! lol

I'm all for safe cannabis. I guess the issue is if exposure to the radiation is causing the contents of the resin to transmutate into something that could potentially cause harm?

It seems easy enough to figure out.

First test a sample, then irradiate the sample, then retest the sample. It seems if the results are off then..... some scientific shit is going on!

My guess is that no change to the chemical makeup of the resin takes place.

I'm almost willing to bet that this has been looked into before.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:09 AM #8
shaggyballs
Banned

shaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond repute
Are they still doing this?
shaggyballs is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2020, 07:26 PM #9
Galaxy420

Galaxy420 is a jewel in the roughGalaxy420 is a jewel in the roughGalaxy420 is a jewel in the roughGalaxy420 is a jewel in the roughGalaxy420 is a jewel in the roughGalaxy420 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyballs View Post
Are they still doing this?

Yes! Canada irradiates the cannabis products they now ship legally . Some State sin America required it to in " legal " Sates

Old 07-04-2020, 07:40 PM #10
Mr. J

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future
That's exactly what my weed has been missing all these years. Gamma rays. It's a good thing somebody thought of it because it wasn't until they did that I realized I want my weed to be blasted with gamma rays. That man is a genius.
Mr. J is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.