What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Monsanto plans to patent genetically modified marijuana in Uruguay

shaggyballs

Veteran
New rules in Uruguay have created a legal marijuana market – The giant corporation Monsanto plans to launch production of genetically modified marijuana, and companies such as Drug Policy Alliance y Open Society Foundation are going to create own brand, which will be produced under cannabis, information portal La Red 21.
These companies are funded by Monsanto, they will be responsible for market development of transgenic seeds of marijuana, particularly in Uruguay.

Uruguay is the first country in the world to officially legalize the production and sale of marijuana.
Initiator of the law was the leadership of the State, President Jose Mujica.
There are lots of reasons why Monsanto and other companies producing GMOs would like to learn a new product.
It is quite possible that Marijuana could be the next major GMO crop.

The company plans to produce GMO manipulate “medical marijuana”. If pharmacists join with GMO companies, pharmaceutical mafia can create transgenic strains that are able to produce more active compounds which are patented and can be used as a medicine.

Former strategic director Jamin Shively Microsoft has also announced its plans to patent in the U.S. This will be the first national brand which will produce hemp imported from Mexico.
The new company will be based in Seattle.

Businessman said that the initial funding for the project is $ 10 million to start the company’s products and it will only be distributed in two U.S. states, Shively says “We will seek to ensure that in our hands was 40% of cannabis in the world.”

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine....tically-modified-marijuana-brand-uruguay.html

Shag

shaggyballs

Veteran
GMO Weed? Connections Alleged Between Uruguay Marijuana Legalization, Monsanto and Soros - See more at: http://hemp.org/news/content/gmo-we...ation-monsanto-and-soros#sthash.VCzhvw5j.dpuf

Uruguay earlier this year became the first nation in the world to legalize the cultivation, sale and possession of marijuana.
Now one German researcher is alleging that billionaire speculator George Soros supported legalization in that South American country as part of a plan for corporate agribusiness giant Monsanto to move into the cannabis trade.
Engdahl alleges, on the website of the European Coalition for Just and Effective Drug Policies (ENCOD) that Monsanto is already quietly at work on a project to patent a genetically modified cannabis plant in Uruguay.
Since Soros played a pivotal role in Uruguay's legalization drive (he sits on the board of the Drug Policy Alliance), and also owns considerable Monsanto stock, Engdahl believes those two things are connected, and they point towards Monsanto involvement.

Soros' Open Society organization distributed $34 million last year, according to Engdahl, nearly $3.5 million of which was dedicated to marijuana legalization.
Open Society funded the group Regulacion Responsable ("Responsible Control") in Uruguay; the group ran a nationwide advertising campaign for the successful legalization drive.
Engdahl alleges that Soros' involvement in Uruguayan legalization "is part of a much larger global project," and further than Monsanto quietly conducts research projects on marijuana and its active ingredient, THC, and how the plant can be genetically manipulated. Monsanto is, after all, the world's largest supplier of genetically modified seeds.

Back in 1998, the British firm GW Pharmaceuticals, which markets Sativex oral spray, containing THC and CBD, signed an agreement with Dutch seed company Hortapharm (owner of the world's largest collection of cannabis seed varieties).
The agreement gives GW Pharmaceuticals the rigbht to use Hortapharm cannabis strains for their research, according to Engdahl. The German pharmaceuticals company Bayer AG in 2003 signed an agreement with GW Bayer AG agreed to an exchange with Monsanto, where both companies agreed to share the results of their research. Monsanto thus has, according to Engdahl, "discreet access" to scientific studies on the cannabis plant and its genetic modification. In 2009, GW announced it had succeeded in genetically altering a cannabis plant and patented a "new breed" of cannabis, Engdahl writes.

With cannabis cultivation now legally allowed in Uruguay, Engdahl says "one can easily imagine" that Monsanto sees a vast new market opening -- one they could potentially control with patented GMO cannabis seeds much as they currently do with the current market in soybeans.
President Jose Mujica of Uruguay has made it clear that he wants a unique genetic code for government-approved marijuana so that legal weed can be distinguished in order to "keep the black market under control.[/COLOR]

" GMO cannabis from Monsanto would, of course, make such control possible. Monsanto has for decades been researching genetically modified soybeans and corn. Is Monsanto paving the way for the corporate giants of Big Pharma and Big Agriculture to replace natural strains of cannabis with their own patented GMO varieties?
Moving into marijuana could be seen as a logical next step for Monsanto.
The company is reputedly investing millions of dollars into a new technology known as RNA interference (RNAi), which could be used to manipulate everything from the color of the plant to making it indigestible to insects, or resistant to certain herbicides (like the "Roundup Ready" versions of crops that Monsanto produces to withstand the herbicides the company sells).
Genetic modification through RNAi or other methods could, of course, be used to create larger, more potent marijuana plants -- and plants that could be distinguished from unauthorized, "black market" marijuana through genetic testing. - See more at: http://hemp.org/news/content/gmo-we...ation-monsanto-and-soros#sthash.ayQ6uqvR.dpuf

Last edited:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Monsanto

The company’s access to members of Congress who are likely to be key in shaping the final legislation may be eased by the contributions of its very active PAC, the Monsanto Citizenship Fund.
Already this cycle it has spent $383,000.
The biggest recipient of that money so far is Rep. Frank D. Lucas (R-Okla.) who has received $20,000 from Monsanto’s PAC — $10,000 for his campaign committee and $10,000 for his leadership PAC.
Lucas happens to be the chairman of the House Agriculture Committee – no farm-related legislation is passed without his say-so.
Monsanto has hedged its investment with the agriculture committee, though — it also gave $13,500 to Rep. Collin Peterson (D-Minn.), the top-ranking Democrat on the committee.
So far this election cycle, Monsanto’s PAC has given $77,500 to 17 members of the House agriculture committee, or their leadership PACs.

Last edited:

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Soros, soros, Soros,
Someone posted this ;)
"Soros is almost 84, so it seems unlikely that he has a huge interest in long range money making schemes. I think he's more interested in promoting his own vision of Society through various foundations."
First off, Soros has never spent a dime without the thought of a return. Just what he does.
Do you really think he would put so much money into legalizing marijuana if it didn't benefit him? 84 or 94 years old doesn't matter he's a business man that has aligned himself with the right people in business, agribusiness, law, and the political circus to capitalize on the investments and payoffs he's made to legalize.
To think otherwise would be painfully naive. It's a good thing being painfully naive doesn't really cause pain.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
naive?

lol

You derailed the whole tread topic...

Sure soros has a huge play in the game but this is about Monsanto, and their

RNAi is going to be a game changer no one is ready for.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
LyryC -RNAi is going to be a game changer no one is ready for.[/QUOTE said:
only if folks buy it. even if they create and patent GMO weed, no one can be forced to buy it. if they succeed in creating superior pot, folks WILL buy it, no doubt. they are counting on morons that (for whatever reason) will only smoke the highest THC content pot there is. (i aint one of those :tiphat:) just because it can be differentiated from other weed genetically does not mean police can afford to have it DNA tested to source it. they only do DNA testing on serious crimes- rape, armed robbery, murder. too damn expensive...

This type of thing can be swabbed for on spot.
That's the whole point.

They want to make it so that you can only get your weed from the gov
and all other sources are penalized

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
That's the whole point.

only reference i saw said "genetic testing". that is not the same thing as a swab. even doing a DNA swab test., the swab must be sent off to a lab to be tested. that is where the "expensive" comes into play. :) sorry, but i just don't think LEO is gonna really give a shit about where you bought your weed if weed is legal. so sue me..."THE SKY IS NOT FALLING!" :biggrin:

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
naive?

lol

You derailed the whole tread topic...

Sure soros has a huge play in the game but this is about Monsanto, and their

RNAi is going to be a game changer no one is ready for.

I derailed the whole thread topic. LOL,
If you look in post number 2 you will see where he was named a couple of times. This thread was posted nearly a year ago and was running along side another that had this topic mentioned in it also. That's where this part came from=It was a quote from another member
Quoted from the other thread-

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Soros is almost 84, so it seems unlikely that he has a huge interest in long range money making schemes. I think he's more interested in promoting his own vision of Society through various foundations."

That's why it was even mentioned. And believe it or not it applied to this thread because Soros is heavily involved/invested in the legalization process in
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Uruguay[/FONT].
11 months to the day from the last post, you happen upon a thread, do a little if any reading and make a dick opinion. Better to "derail" a topic than be a racist I guess,
[/FONT]

Kaabon

That's the whole point.

I worry about this personally. Monsanto has enough influence in congress to privatize cannabis cultivation once it is legalized. As long as corporations are allowed to lobby, this will be a threat. The other issue is that Monsanto can have cannabis cultivated on a much larger scale than current growers are using, which will allow them to control the pricing. I doubt many current growers will buy into GMO, but new users will ultimately be drawn in by the lower prices and expensive advertising/branding.

I don't want any of that commercial crap. I'm not opposed to GMO crops as much as the pesticides they load their crap up with. Seems logical that if you make a plant that is more resistant to pesticides, more will be used on the plant. All that yummy chemical strait to the lungs lol. I wonder what kind of reaction the body will have to combusted round-up instead of ingested.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
How does a 1 yr old thread bout this shit get unburried., i understand strain n grow threads for info purpose...but a 1yr old thread on Uruguay. .. fukin weird shit...n look at the old man better memory the 90% of us... got a great laugh....

merc500

the "HELL WEED" will always be controlled by the under the radar growers over the last 50 years. the one's who risked everything to grow it. the guys right here. as it should be !

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
There is no GMO weed in Uruguay or any place else.
Monsanto with a patent on GMO Cannabis? Where is the patent#, they are all public info, show it.
I know that GMO Cannabis has been looked for and not found by a scientist that just knew there was GMO Cannabis, but just could not find any:

Investigations into the Hypothesis of Transgenic Cannabis
Fidelia Cascini
ABSTRACT: The unusual concentration of cannabinoids recently found in marijuana samples submitted to the forensic laboratory for chemical analysis prompted an investigation into whether genetic modifications have been made to the DNA of Cannabis sativa L. to increase its potency. Traditional methods for the detection of genetically modified organisms (GMO) were used to analyze herbal cannabis preparations. Our analyses support the hypothesis that marijuana samples submitted to forensic laboratories and characterized by an abnormal level of Δ(9)-THC are the product of breeding selection rather than of transgenic modifications. Further, this research has shown a risk of false positive results associated with the poor quality of the seized samples and probably due to the contamination by other transgenic vegetable products. On the other hand, based on these data, a conclusive distinction between the hypothesis of GMO plant contamination and the other of genetic modification of cannabis cannot be made requiring further studies on comparative chemical and genetic analyses to find out an explanation for the recently detected increased potency of cannabis.
Journal of Forensic Sciences 12/2011; 57(3):718-21. DOI:10.1111/j.1556-4029.2011.02021.x

Kaabon

It could already be in development. Getting a patent for a schedule 1 is going to take some serious strings being pulled, even by a company as big as Monsanto. Patents aren't always recognized between countries either so it's highly likely there isn't a patent yet. Once it is finally removed from schedule 1, I'm sure Monsanto will have somebody signing paperwork at the patent office the same day.

Kaabon

Plus I don't think they will GMO cannabis for increased potency. They will do it to make it more resistant to round-up lol.

glow

Love these fear mongering threads. They always give me a great laugh and tell others that stoners are paranoid schitzoids. Be afraid, be very very afraid the big bad Monsanto is coming and over taking with Franken Pot. And rather GMO than Satnky Balls PGR laden swhag.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
This is not a patent for a Cannabis GMO variety that is being sold anywhere.
It is a GM method that could be used to make Cannabis in the future, but it is not being used, do you understand the difference? It is not a specific plant patent, it is a utility patent, that protects the method used.
Monsanto is not connected to it, and neither is Uruguay.
Not even close....
-SamS

https://www.google.com/patents/US20120311744?dq=cannabis+seeds&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MqBwVITSAoGigwTRzYGgCg&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ

There is no fear mongering. I have posted this before. Call it whatever one likes. All it says to me is keep my grow equipment.

Latest posts

Latest posts