Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Security & Legal Issues > ICMag Security Do's and Don'ts!

Thread Title Search
ICMag Security Do's and Don'ts! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2009, 12:13 AM #21
growcodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by j6p View Post
I've never heard of an ISP reporting anyone to LEO. ISP's don't have time or motive to spy on their subscribers as far as I know, unless they are forced by law to do so.
i didnt mean it like that .. i just said the technical background is there and installed at most or many ISP's .. to be on the safer side either dont post at all as you also recommended or do it in a way it cant be traced to you .. stay safe!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 AM #22
Bodhi Roach

Bodhi Roach is on a distinguished road
whats your opinion on posting pictures from the free internet cafes? they may log the IP but , is not the only way to truly identify you by your mac address?
Are these logged as well?

2K vertical with watercooled cooltubes
https://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=146807
Bodhi Roach is offline Quote

Old 12-22-2009, 07:44 AM #23
alaskan
Banned

alaskan is a jewel in the roughalaskan is a jewel in the roughalaskan is a jewel in the roughalaskan is a jewel in the roughalaskan is a jewel in the roughalaskan is a jewel in the rough
Don't post pictures of yours from outside hosts like photobucket, imageshack, or flikr, it's easy for anyone to go through the rest of your albums and get an idea of who you are.

Right click the image, select view image, and delete the image name from the url, and it usually puts you into the album the picture was in...
alaskan is offline Quote

Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 AM #24
Euphrates
The Future just begun on the Dark Side of the Sun

Euphrates has a spectacular aura aboutEuphrates has a spectacular aura aboutEuphrates has a spectacular aura aboutEuphrates has a spectacular aura about
DON'T discuss or arrange any illegal activities via ICMag. You will be banned for this.

So we shouldn't talk about ordering seeds ?

The world has broken down.
Euphrates is offline Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM #25
p0opstlnksal0t

p0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nicep0opstlnksal0t is just really nice
best anonymous surfing services:
https://www.techsupportalert.com/best...ng-service.htm

intlplayr: zend2.com and edexcel.info are both good

Old 04-14-2010, 07:01 PM #26
Skip
Let's Get Small!

Skip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphrates View Post
DON'T discuss or arrange any illegal activities via ICMag. You will be banned for this.

So we shouldn't talk about ordering seeds ?
Ordering seeds is perfectly legal in many places, except backwards places....

Never presume what is illegal where you are is illegal everywhere. That's a big mistake people (esp. conservative americans) make.

Keep up with the news too, cause laws are changing everywhere.

"Prohibition is the gateway to fascism." - Treewizard
Skip is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2010, 08:24 PM #27
Muggle

Muggle is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
best anonymous surfing services:
https://www.techsupportalert.com/best...blah blah blah

intlplayr: zend2.com and edexcel.info are both good blah blah blah
<sigh>

Anonymity can only be obtained by the eradication of logs by the proxy (privacy) providers. Logs are essential in determining problems, troubleshooting them, etc. anyone who says they don't log, lies and/or they have a shi**y service.

You should not be using any single [b]privacy[b]service to achieve anonymity (including Tor bundles alone) but multiple services that way by the time anything was traced back through each service, any logs would have rolled. Good privacy providers eradicate (roll) their logs at least weekly.

Obtaining consistent privacy is not difficult or expensive. Obtaining consistent, usable anonymity is quite difficult and truly requires more technical capabilities than 90% of the well informed IT world can muster. But it too is not expensive. Except in terms of the time you have to study to get to anonymity.

Understand the difference. Privacy is like talking through a door where the person on the other side may know a few things about you (male or female, language spoken, etc) but not what you look like or your name. Anonymity is when that same person has no clue whatsoever about you. Nothing. Nada.

The best solutions for the masses who want to surf and participate here?? A strong privacy service and a working Tor package, checking your IP address on the fly, in real time. At least if you screw up Tor, LEO or whoever your adversary might be, will still have to produce a subpoena and catch only a weeks or less of logs.
Muggle is offline Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 AM #28
David762

David762 is a jewel in the roughDavid762 is a jewel in the roughDavid762 is a jewel in the roughDavid762 is a jewel in the roughDavid762 is a jewel in the roughDavid762 is a jewel in the rough
Great basic security advice. Thanks!

great basic security advice. thanks!

people on-line here from the USA at least need to keep in mind that 9/11/2001 changed everything regarding privacy.

these days fed, state, and local LEOs have the funds, the cool equipment, the legal authority, and the time on their hands to get into anyones personal business. they can and do, and many seem to really enjoy their new-found powers over the public.
David762 is offline Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 07:59 PM #29
Muggle

Muggle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by David762 View Post
great basic security advice. thanks!
Welcome!

LOL
Muggle is offline Quote

Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 AM #30
supervaca

supervaca will become famous soon enoughsupervaca will become famous soon enough
... so being this my working field, and reading some very wrong things in this thread (as when it comes to computer security often) , I would like to say some things:

-PROXYS: put this in your mind. Using proxies is USELESS, as you can be very easily traced back, all pages now have Jscript, Adwords, etc.... so you can embed a call to the browser and get the real IP.... If you, anyway, use them, use trusted ones, these lists of proxys have a lot of honeypotting... Too, there are different kind of proxies, only trust SOCKS proxies ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOCKS

-TOR- Tor is safer, but slow. Some attacks have been done and they work, but as Tor infraestructure passes throuh 3 different computers, you should compromise at least 2 of them.... ALWAYS check wich nodes you are using .... REALLY.... On top of this, you should use something like Privoxym that cleans your data.
For a quickstart you can use Vidalia ---> https://www.torproject.org/vidalia/

So if you need REAL security, use:

For encrypting data, photo, etc: GNUPG --> https://www.gnupg.org/

For surfing: VPNs are the way to go. They can know maybe where are you connecting to, but not the content , as is encrypted. Use a free one, ćuz has no sense to be anonymous and pay with a CCard.... like Alonweb or something similar, check some here:
Link: https://techpp.com/2009/07/09/top-5-free-vpn-clients/

For cleaning your hard drive of inconveniences: use a wiper that is able to rewrite your hd with random data; about 30 cycles.... you then are SAFE. Like https://www.killdisk.com/ or wipe for linux.

E-mail: don't trust this "safe email " services; they all lie. Use GNUPG , link on top. Use a public key and exchange wit your friends. I use a triple AES-Blowfish-Rijndael algorityhm together,don't get scared, you can set this up easily in the options, depending on you OS
Link: https://www.gnupg.org/

Chatting: You can use Pidgin , a multi-platform messesnger that suppots ICQ, MSN, etc etc... and proxies and encryption. Set a SOCKS PROXY in the configuration of the utility and use a plugin called PIDGIN-OTR. OTR is great, and encrypts all your data (RSA 256, fu** NSA ).
Link: https://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

I would go for a total paranoid use a SOCKS proxy+ VPN, and ALWAYS deactivate Javascript in your browser , THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING,ALWAYS, use something as NoScript for FFox --->https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/722
AND CLEAN YOUR COOKIES and LOGOUT FROM potencially compromising SITES !!!!!!!
And yes, you need a nice AV and a firewall. Comodo is a nice firewall. AVG is a nice free AVirus.

And VERY IMPORTANT: We all know OS like windows are not very safe, and backdoored..... There are some nice Live CDs that let you run your system from a CD , nothing get written in your harddrive..... some of them, as Incognito (now called amnesia, I love it), set ALL TRAFFIC TROUGH TOR, too, cuts JScript, etc.... being one of the easyest and safest bet around. Just download the file and burn it as an ISO image, and just reboot.....safest and easyest, each time you connect to a bad reputation or very dangerous site for stoners or terrorists , just put the cd in and reboot... wait... surf.. and reboot again... everything as before
Link:
https://www.anonymityanywhere.com/incognito/

But really, change to Linux (FreeBSD is asking too much, I know) as soon as you can, if security is a big concert for you and you use Windows... you are SOLD. At least, go Mac. But Ubuntu is really easy and (quite) safe if configured properly. Really. Windows is a trap.
All our traffic is being monitored and logged, so if they have some suspices about you, they will have a look to what you made in the Inet for the last 2 years or so..... They cannot use this in court, sure, but is a very handy tool... to get you in the right moment or check your real ID..

If you have any doubt or questions, or see something here incorrect, please let me know.
I wll be glad to share my limited knowledge.

Last time I wrote something like this, I got in troubles. Let's see this time.
Excuse my forgotten English.
Muuuuuu
supervaca is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.