Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > The Drying and Cure Process Explained In Depth, Information On Long Term Preservation

Thread Title Search
The Drying and Cure Process Explained In Depth, Information On Long Term Preservation Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2018, 06:11 PM #11
zachrockbadenof

zachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud ofzachrockbadenof has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibechillin View Post
I Ive smoked quite a few joints/blunts where it literally starts leaking a stream of sap out the end when its burning.
that's only happened to me once - in the early 70's- by 1/2 joint, your fingers had black sap on them - we were told it was columbian weed... no name... didn't have names back then... it was just good weed
zachrockbadenof is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:23 PM #12
Ibechillin
Masochist Educator

Ibechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant futureIbechillin has a brilliant future
Ive gotten a few strains from the rec shop that have done it even (surprised the hell out of me). The strains were Cherry OG and Blue Magoo (Dj Short's Blueberry x Williams Wonder), made mental note to grow them out sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Green View Post
For almost 50 years I've smoked weed to enhance reality, not to escape from it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibechillin View Post
Diffused light > Spectrum. Abundant overlapping cheap white led at moderate intensity over the entire growing area.
Playing around outdoors again 2018 & 2019 grows (2019 season started on post #75):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352271

Science Of Lighting & Plant Reactions (Sticky Thread):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358147

Drying and Cure Process Explained In Depth (Sticky Thread):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358186

Pot Size, Root system and maximizing growth thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=344347

Silicon, The Misunderstood Element:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352413

Humic and Fulvic acid information:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352265

Ibechillin is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:09 PM #13
TruffleButler

TruffleButler will become famous soon enoughTruffleButler will become famous soon enough
Nice Boveda ad. But it's all wrong. We all know the best way to cure bud is sealed up in a dehydrating freezer with no gas exchange!

Moisture packs serve one purpose, and that's letting smokers with weird standards pretend they have better quality than what was provided by a commercial style hydroponic grow. Pretending wet chemically grown weed is resin caked weed. I never saw emaciated crumbly weed in my life until introduced to hydroponic growers.

I mean, think about it. A large percentage of the plants weight is resins and fats. I have yet to see bearing grease or cisco soaked grass clippings turn to dust. If you soak .66g of lawn clippings in .33g it's not gonna turn to dust.

The Cannabis community needs a better definition of curing, to prove that most growers are indeed not curing but preserving. There's a period where oxygen is no longer needed. I call it the fermentation stage but the bud retains it's neon color, so it's obviously not fermenting,but continues to get better. The trichs pop, the aroma increases and the flavor deepens and widens it's scope tremendously. It boggles the mind to hear people complain about 6 month old weed, when I'm smoking on year old weed that's better than it was 10 months ago. No moisture pack required.

TLDR: Every post-harvest issue people have today is a symptom of pre-harvest limitations. Just grow the high Brix sticky. Quality herb grown with quality organic inputs digested by a quality population of mineral fed microbes will stay tacky, slow burning pungent and flavorful from the content of its secondary metabolites, at any moisture content between 2 and 20%. Resin is much more than THC.. Unless you grow hydro..
TruffleButler is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM #14
farmerlion
IC Mag Supporter

farmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant future
Hello all, I certainly don't claim to know everything. My biggest problem with curing consistency is time. Work hours can throw my ideal timing of curing off.
As I continually try to improve my growing environment. I also try to improve my curing environment. This is very regionally diverse and weather dependent. If you're quantities are small it can all be done in one room inside your house.

If you're drying multiple pounds of multiple strains and finishing times. This process gets complicated in a hurry. This is my situation in growing and my patients needs. My indoor grow facility is now my drying area. All grows are in the greenhouse or outdoors. Through trial and error I will refine the best system for my environmental conditions. So what does all this mean?
There's not one exact way of curing that will work flawlessly for everyone. You will have to tweak it to match your environment. You will have a germination schedule to assist your harvest schedule. Then consider phenotypic expression of very quick flowering strains. To take advantage of cooler September temperatures at night.

Planning and note taking throughout your grow will greatly improve and influence your harvest. Don't wait until week 6 of flowering to plan how and which plants you will take down first. You need to consider harvest in April when you are doing your soil and amendments.
Set it out on a calendar, look ahead so if needed you can put in for time off work. Make sure to verify flowering onset dates for both indoor and outdoor grows. Then you will know the exact harvest date for the following season of that strain ( outdoors anyway). Be very careful of using any fertilizers that you have to flush from soil and plants. This can really screw your quality and optimal harvest time. Growing organically in soil has many benefits not always considered.

I do my initial trimming while the plant is still alive. All fan leaves and watering is stopped completely. Let it wilt 3 to 4 days using up moisture. Then I hang in the drying room. I try to cut down plants early in the morning while dark to limit photosynthesis as much as possible.
Peace. MedDakotabis
farmerlion is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:24 PM #15
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruffleButler View Post
Nice Boveda ad. But it's all wrong. We all know the best way to cure bud is sealed up in a dehydrating freezer with no gas exchange!

Moisture packs serve one purpose, and that's letting smokers with weird standards pretend they have better quality than what was provided by a commercial style hydroponic grow. Pretending wet chemically grown weed is resin caked weed. I never saw emaciated crumbly weed in my life until introduced to hydroponic growers.

I mean, think about it. A large percentage of the plants weight is resins and fats. I have yet to see bearing grease or cisco soaked grass clippings turn to dust. If you soak .66g of lawn clippings in .33g it's not gonna turn to dust.

The Cannabis community needs a better definition of curing, to prove that most growers are indeed not curing but preserving. There's a period where oxygen is no longer needed. I call it the fermentation stage but the bud retains it's neon color, so it's obviously not fermenting,but continues to get better. The trichs pop, the aroma increases and the flavor deepens and widens it's scope tremendously. It boggles the mind to hear people complain about 6 month old weed, when I'm smoking on year old weed that's better than it was 10 months ago. No moisture pack required.

TLDR: Every post-harvest issue people have today is a symptom of pre-harvest limitations. Just grow the high Brix sticky. Quality herb grown with quality organic inputs digested by a quality population of mineral fed microbes will stay tacky, slow burning pungent and flavorful from the content of its secondary metabolites, at any moisture content between 2 and 20%. Resin is much more than THC.. Unless you grow hydro..
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.