What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Bio Filter Media

Octagoner

Cranked up new Bio Filter a couple months ago and wasn't happy with using Hydroton as a place for microbes to colonize.

Just got these aquarium media plastic balls:

This simple Bio-Filter is a five gallon bucket with a 250 GPH Mag Drive pump (which is inline external to the reservoir) cycling nutrients through it.

This above pic is Hydroton which is not colonized yet.

Have found that Bio Filters charged with Companion and EA/ EN, kelp ect. keep pH from swinging once they are colonized, plus adds oxygenation from the nutrient solution splashing back into the res.

Respect

Last edited:

Octagoner

Got them from Aquatic ECO aquaticeco.com

They are callled Biofilm Carrier Elements Item# BRF150 Cost $43.24 per cu ft

Takes a couple months to get the Bio-Filter up and charged, but get this, I had a little Aero system going (6 plants) and just for shits and grins I did not change the res for over a year, just topped it off at 1/4 strength. Totally sold me on Bio Filters.

pH will not swing hardly at all once it is up and going.

Respect

Snowdog27

You can also go to a pet shop and get some bio-spria which is a small packet of live microbe cultures that will cut down your colonization time by half or more, I think it contains something like 100000 microbes per tsp, a 1 ounce packet will do 30 gallons.Just incase anybody wants to check it out http://www.marineland.com/science/nspira.asp

grow safe

Octagoner

GH makes Subculture, got weird results (lots of crapola in res) won't use again.

Tried SuperNova good results, and Dark Energy (it Stinks but it rocks is the claim) and yes it smells like ass, but plants did well.

I like Companion and EA/EN. Read a paper stating that plants use up to 40% of their energy promoting microbes as their needs change; have been attemping to simulate this in organic aquaculture.

Respect

R

rule35sub1

I use bio buckets, I get the same results. I have a great colony built and ph flux does not bother me. I use lava rocks for beneficials to colonize. I pay nothing for colonization.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A small submersible fountain pump stuffed inside a block of mattress foam works great for both hydro reses and fish ponds/tanks. It's surprising that more water culture gardeners don't use biofiltration. I've convinced a local friend to try a foam one in his ebb n flo system and it obviously has many benefits.

MrFista

Veteran
Yes plants will use 40% of total sugar production to keep microbes and fungi happy but the tradeoff is even larger for the plants who do not have to continue making and spreading roots to acquire P and water. the fungi/bacteria often work in defensive roles for plants as well.

Treated properly a biofilter should run indefinately, but it will adjust as nutrient levels adjust, and the direction of adjustments are not fully understood. At pH 6.2 a well buffered biofilter can produce some startlingly fast growth in conjunction with organic nute sources.

Tip - keep the filter in the dark. Tip 2 - feeding less more often is stabler.

A couple more chemistry lessons I should be able to write up a buffer solution that will sit in the sweet spot for aquaponics, and should also apply to organic hydro.

Glad your filter is working so well. Question: Why did you switch from hydroton to those very expensive plastic balls?

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Cranked up new Bio Filter a couple months ago and wasn't happy with using Hydroton as a place for microbes to colonize.

Just got these aquarium media plastic balls:

This simple Bio-Filter is a five gallon bucket with a 250 GPH Mag Drive pump (which is inline external to the reservoir) cycling nutrients through it.

This above pic is Hydroton which is not colonized yet.

Have found that Bio Filters charged with Companion and EA/ EN, kelp ect. keep pH from swinging once they are colonized, plus adds oxygenation from the nutrient solution splashing back into the res.

Respect

so a bio filter is literally just something that allows good bact to colonize and all you have to have is the nutes running through it? is that not unlike the sponge you get with most water pumps?

budrot

so a bio filter is literally just something that allows good bact to colonize and all you have to have is the nutes running through it? is that not unlike the sponge you get with most water pumps?

Yes, works the same as a Biological filter that you use in an aquarium.

I don't think there is enough surface area on a pump filter to create a big enough colony to feed a plant.
You could use a bath sponge and stick a airline in it, that works.

I just brought a small aquarium biofilter form the fish shop, cost 10 quid. I dumped the sponge and filled it with ceramic media, like the one shown above but obviously vastly superior to the one pictured in the thread.
I have it on the bottom of the tank so the jet pushes straight up, flooming the res and biofiltering at the same time. I also run with a media (Fytocell) that harbours an enormous amount of beneficial bacteria.

supermanlives

Veteran
i have used similar ones well the design anyhow. mine were bigger and blue.got em from a place with fishponds and accesories.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
did you know some of the best and cheapest media for bio filters is pot scrubbers, bath & shower scrubbers, etc.? i used some Rasta Bob's Coco Mon i had layin around for this bio filter.