What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lower leaf yellowing/dropping...N deficiency?

The lowest fan leaves on my 5 week old plants are starting to yellow, and they ultimately end up shriveled and die after a few days, while the plants in general appear to be relatively lush and healthy otherwise.

Is this a typical sign of N deficiency?

The plants I grew last year almost always had a leaf or two along the bottom portion of the plant that would be yellow and dying off/dropping...but the plants seemed to grow pretty healthy over all to my eyes.

I don't want to see this happening when they're so young though. This is only my 2nd grow, just trying to figure out what the problem is...I'm assuming this is a sign of nitrogen deficiency?

Soil is "Roots original", recycled from last year (they will be transplanted into some better amended soil). The only thing I've given them is so far is some diluted urine and some fish emulsion tea. I am using city water though it's not terrible, last year I did run it through a carbon filter and I will be getting another filter next month. I don't have much $ at the moment so I'm working with what I have for now.

If all goes to plan they will be transplanted into 20 & 30 gal fab pots by the end of this month, with a 50/50 mix of last years soil & some fresh soil and a little bit of amendments.

troutman

Seed Whore
It happens as plants get bigger and the bottom gets shaded. So don't get too
worked up about it. Just feed a little more nutrients as the plants gets bigger.

Give 50% more nutrients than you're giving now for a start. :tiphat:

It happens as plants get bigger and the bottom gets shaded. So don't get too
worked up about it. Just feed a little more nutrients as the plants gets bigger.

Give 50% more nutrients than you're giving now for a start. :tiphat:

Thanks for the heads up.

Like mentioned, the plants I grew last year did this through out the grow....along the lower portion of the plant there was almost always a leaf or two that was getting blotchy, yellowing, or shriveling up....

....but overall the plants still grew lush & healthy for the most part so I figured it wasn't a major issue.

Seeing this occur when they're still some what young I just wanted to get an idea of what was going on....Thanks again. :smoke:

troutman

Seed Whore
If the soil pH is out of wack that can also cause nutrient deficiencies.
So do make sure it's good. In soil, I like my pH 6.2 to 6.5 for best results.