What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indestructible Thrips

I have a pretty nasty case of thrip infestation. Been in this game for 26 years now so ive seen a lot of pests. Ive battled almost everything ive ever heard of in indoor growing. These thrips are some kind of super thrip. Started off with some neem a few weeks ago. Not a dent.
Blasted them with a few rounds of green cleaner. Nothing.
Broke out the big guns since its on my mothers and young veg.
I rotated 3 rounds of Avid with 3 rounds of floramite.
Population seems un phased.
Anybody got a good formula that will handle these super thrips?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hate thrips! Arg.

Saw in SFGate, simple solution using dish soap (without degreaser)-
insecticidal soap, which you can make at home using standard dish soap, can effectively control many soft-bodied plant pests, including aphids, mealybugs, thrips, whiteflies, spider mites and scales.

Make the Solution
Combine liquid dish soap with water at a ratio of 2 tablespoons per gallon to create a mixture of slightly less than 1 percent soap. Mix together well.

Tip
Homemade insecticidal soap doesn't work effectively if the water is too hard. To test whether water from a certain source is acceptable, combine water and soap in the recommended ratio in a clear glass jar and mix it thoroughly. If a scum forms on the surface of the water, the water is too hard and you must treat it or find an alternative source.

Pour the Mixture
Pour the mixture into a garden sprayer or spray bottle if you prepared it in a different container.

Test for Toxicity
Spray the mixture on a small, inconspicuous section of each plant you wish to treat for insects. Monitor that area for any damage for at least 24 hours and ideally for 48 hours. If no damage is apparent, you can proceed to treat the plant more broadly. If injury does occur, dilute the soap mixture further or choose a different, milder soap.

Spray Affected Plants
In the early morning, spray the affected plants thoroughly with the soap mixture, focusing your efforts on parts of the plant where damaging insects are concentrated, like leaf undersides and leaf axils. Remember that the wet soap must come into direct contact with the pests to control them.

Repeat the Application
Repeat the application every four to seven days until the pests are sufficiently controlled.

Warning
Use only a mild liquid dish soap that does not contain a degreaser and is not intended for use with a dishwashing machine.

Although an insect-controlling spray made from dish soap is very low in toxicity, it can still irritate the eyes or cause vomiting or other problems if ingested.

Don't apply the soap spray to drought-stressed plants or when temperatures are above 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Avoid spraying insecticidal soap on fruit trees that are in bloom.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Good luck....

I had them 10yrs or so ago, ended up spraying my leaves down with a mix of water and .99 iso every day and using pyreth. fog.

I only had a small issue tho and caught early in veg. and isolated the room (always go in that room last, then change clothes and dont go back in till next water cycle)

Cold temps dont do fuck all with them also...

Assuming it was the iso and water drying out the larva...they make slits in the plant tissue and lay eggs inside...

Nico Farmer

The biological control works well, I bought "Chrysoperla lucasina" larvaes on the net that I introduced in my garden and the thrips were all eaten.

Spinme

Not that it helps now

Not that it helps now

If you rub a thick layer of petrolium jelly around the stalk it will prevent them from crawling up to begin. With I think for future

Legit idea if they didn't have wings :dunno:

Exactly, even though not long distance flyers. These do have abilities of moving like a helicopter and are notoriously known for their flying antics when disturbed.

If you really want to see the end, just use a soap based pesticide or something with citric acid and oils. The eggs are the hardest to kill off and are often the bane of the growers fight.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nematodes for the win...

They'll kill the larva in the soil... It's not instant but it works and works well.

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SPINOSAD all the way, no more thrips in 3 days ... and it's not so hard to find :

mKh7birwXIyxRXcwXYxUC2w.jpg

It is not systemic, no need to spray the whole plants . Thrips will contaminate each others . Like ants . Very efficient.

I have used predators by the past, VESPOP are efficients against all marijuana classic pests. ( spiders, thrips, white fly)

:tiphat:

madalasatori

Veteran
I had to go away for two weeks once and came back to a bad infestation. I tried harkers mectin and nematodes and they didn’t work. Smoke bomb worked a bit but the plants were just screwed up for the rest of the grow. Thrips poisin the plant.

Since then I’ve used fabric pots with a layer DE on the tops. DE shreds them and they can’t get through the fabric so I figure if they can’t lay their eggs in the medium they cannot exist. Working so far

redlaser

Veteran
I had to go away for two weeks once and came back to a bad infestation. I tried harkers mectin and nematodes and they didn’t work. Smoke bomb worked a bit but the plants were just screwed up for the rest of the grow. Thrips poisin the plant.

Since then I’ve used fabric pots with a layer DE on the tops. DE shreds them and they can’t get through the fabric so I figure if they can’t lay their eggs in the medium they cannot exist. Working so far

Hawkers mectin is ivermectin, usually used on humans and animals, avermectin is used primarily on plants.
Avermectin is a formulation derived from two streptomyces bacterium

It’s sold as abamectin, one brand name is Avid. I’ve never understood why people bad mouth avid when it is derived from a soil born bacteria.

Especially since spinosad is derived from a soil born bacteria, Straccapolysporous spinos

Abamectin has a half life of seven hours when applied as a thin film in sunlight

Well fuck me. I went with the Spinosad. It hasn't phased these thrips after my third application of full strength Captain Jacks dead Bug Brew at 2oz per gallon sprayed thoroughly with a powerful atomizer.

So far 3 applications of Avid, 2 applications of Floramite, and 3 applications of Spinosad.

A total 8 heavy soaked sprayings with each poison rotated with 1 day break between each spraying. all over the last 12 days.

Today i can find what seems to be just as many thrips as i started with.
Its not a horrible infestation. But i can find an adult thrip or 2 on bigger water leaves on almost every plant. Total of 60 plants.

Any other advice? These thrips obviously drink poison to chase down the leafs they're chewing on :bashhead:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I was gonna say: nematodes

Once you think your soil isnt toxic for bugs, id say try 2 species nematodes, possibly the rove beetle and or soil mite...

just curious, how much do you think you spent on pesticide?

Latest posts

Latest posts