What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ex Cigarette Smokers

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I smoked cancer sticks for about ten years and before I quit had terrible cardio health and couldn't do as much as I can now and I personally give thanks to clean diet and my vaporizer and also white rhino bong for helping me transition from tobacco to mother cannabis

My breathing and cardio health btw now is incredible ifeel like I've never smoked one if that makes sense

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I've never been a tobacco smoker, though many friends of mine and family has been. My uncle who was a smoker since he was 16 and is now 56 is currently dying from lung cancer and COPD.

I smoked weed almost daily (2-3 bowls or joints) for about 10 years and can definitely tell it has impacted my lungs negatively. At the time I couldn't find anything that supported pot causing lung damage. Had I known better I probably would have avoided smoking and stuck with oral forms of ingestion.

I think some people are more sensitive to smoke damage than others. You can get someone in their 50's dying from lung disease and some old timer in his 90's who's smoked his whole life and is fine. Some guy I went to school with who was very fit, played sports and didn't drink, smoke or do drugs suddenly died of heart failure at the age of 29. Health can be a weird thing.

I

Ignignokt

My mum smoked since she was 13 until about 55.... she would have coughing fits in the middle of the night and not even know that she was having them.
I used to get angry at her but i eventually understood that all i could do was be positive and tell her that her health COULD improve with time if she quit.
I was shocked when she told me she hadn't smoked for a month or so, one time when i visited her.
She hasn't smoked for about 5 years now.... she looks healthier and gained a bit of weight because she is always cooking new recipes now. :)
I am proud of her, since she had never lived adult life without constantly smoking.
So, i don't know much about the science other than what i saw on some daytime garbage show that said your health can recover, but from what i have witnessed YES, you can get better to some degree, she doesn't cough nearly as badly as she used to.

St. Phatty

I would consider smoking tobacco if it helped me with chronic pain.

Have had a few friends who used it that way.

Do any of you smoke cigs to help with chronic pain ?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I've never been a tobacco smoker, though many friends of mine and family has been. My uncle who was a smoker since he was 16 and is now 56 is currently dying from lung cancer and COPD.

I smoked weed almost daily (2-3 bowls or joints) for about 10 years and can definitely tell it has impacted my lungs negatively. At the time I couldn't find anything that supported pot causing lung damage. Had I known better I probably would have avoided smoking and stuck with oral forms of ingestion.

I think some people are more sensitive to smoke damage than others. You can get someone in their 50's dying from lung disease and some old timer in his 90's who's smoked his whole life and is fine. Some guy I went to school with who was very fit, played sports and didn't drink, smoke or do drugs suddenly died of heart failure at the age of 29. Health can be a weird thing.
Keith Richards is testament to that :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I would consider smoking tobacco if it helped me with chronic pain.

Have had a few friends who used it that way.

Do any of you smoke cigs to help with chronic pain ?
Although a cig = a valium... having smoked for 40+ years, I never found any pain relief from smoking tobacco.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I smoked for 20+ years, till about 15 years ago. After tobacco, massive improvement to lung function. I was a pack a day mainly, with 2-6 month stints at 2 packs a day.

Doctors don't believe I smoke cannabis 24/7 when they check my lung function. Not when the cannabis is indoor HEPA filtered and cleanly fed.

I definitely notice a difference in lung function with average quality cannabis, here in Colorado. Coughing a lot while smoking, coughing occasionally when not smoking, coughing up grey and black phlegm. Yeah, not pretty. I want my indoor back!! lol It's been almost 2 years since I started all this moving around and drama b.s. lol

Spaventa

Veteran
I’ve been smoking all my life and also had both my lungs punctured and collaped and they still work fine. I put it down to the healing herb. I also had my sternum broken and my thorax crushed but that doesn’t seem to have done anything permant either. If it weren’t for the scars from the emergency air ways they cut in my armpits and throat, you’d never know.

Jon 55

ICMag Donor
Ive been smoking for over forty years. Half that time was Kools and than Marlboro Red 100's. I just got my biannual physical and the doctor said my lungs are fine. I'm trying to quit by changing over to a pipe. Has anyone had a really hard time quitting truth now no bullshit!!!

Jon :tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

I

Ignignokt

Ive been smoking for over forty years. Half that time was Kools and than Marlboro Red 100's. I just got my biannual physical and the doctor said my lungs are fine. I'm trying to quit by changing over to a pipe. Has anyone had a really hard time quitting truth now no bullshit!!!

Not my experience but my mother's, she took some withdrawal pills for a few weeks and had some trouble sleeping for a while but nothing major.

I guess if your mind is in the right place, that is the biggest factor.
If you feel like you're being forced it will be harder than if you just grow tired of the habit. :2cents:

Spaventa

Veteran
Ah, just remembered that the oregano oil I put in my bath help the lungs. If the bath is good and hot so the bathroom gets foggy with oil infused steam from the bath, you benefit from breathing it in.
It keeps chest infection at bay and loosens phlegm and crap. After an hour soaking in the bath with oregano oil, I can easily cough up and clear my chest effectively. Oregano oil is antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal and promotes healing.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Just like alcoholism, admitting you are addicted is 90% of the BATTLE and, a battle it is. 10% is abstinence. It is all about "mindset". You either want to quit, or not. As stated earlier, every cigarette we smoke is a nail in our coffin.\

All that being said... we live in a society that has promoted cancer over the years by "fucking" with our food supply. From a very young age, folks are prone to the deadly disease if, the RIGHT trigger is activated..

RB56

Veteran
I smoked for over 40 years as well. Quit two years ago. I also had a lifetime of good checkups that frequently included observations that I must be made of steel ... ... until I wasn't on my last checkup. Paying a brutal price now. Regardless, quitting is worth doing. I switched to a nicotine vaporizer. Filled the need. After a few month I got bored and gave it up too.

Mindset is critically important. What finally worked for me was to vow I would never smoke tobacco again but could smoke or otherwise consume as much weed as I wanted - always a good policy and critically, that I could have as much nicotine replacement products as I wanted - vapes, patches, gum, whatever I wanted. You can do that and still spend much less than cigarettes cost, while meeting your addition needs.

Don't switch to a pipe. Still going to get mouth cancer and have you ever seen anyone smoking a tobacco pipe that didn't look like a poseur? Nobody has :D

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
*SNIP - What finally worked for me was to vow I would never smoke tobacco again but could smoke or otherwise consume as much weed as I wanted
I LOVE tobacco, or at least back in the day where tobacco was tobacco :( I was merely going through he motions and wasn't deriving any pleasures. I was a slave to the cancer sticks. But, that didn't do it. I asked my wife if it was true that kissing a smoker was like licking an ashtray. She said yes. Out of love and respect for my wife, I promised myself, she would never lick another ashtray again. That was 8 yrs ago. :tiphat: