What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Real OLD SCHOOL - Cherry Oil

Carraxe

Veteran
I bet this sweet colorful cherry oil is a mix between hash oil and some dilutants. Or adulterants, as you prefer. Usually hash oil from the black market didn't have much of a flavor, so they had to give it some and at the same time make it easier to smoke.

Think of a 50/50 mixture of hash oil and a 50% dilution of a mix of different substances like alcohol, glicerine, vegetable oil, saturated odourless vegetable oil, sugar, artificial flavors and colorants that just mix well and gives the mix a nice smell and flavor when smoked. In a similar way gummies are made. Could it be? Do you remember the cherry oil being translucent or more transparent like a BHO?

Good luck with your quest.

axle2u

I bet this sweet colorful cherry oil is a mix between hash oil and some dilutants. Or adulterants, as you prefer. Usually hash oil from the black market didn't have much of a flavor, so they had to give it some and at the same time make it easier to smoke.

Think of a 50/50 mixture of hash oil and a 50% dilution of a mix of different substances like alcohol, glicerine, vegetable oil, saturated odourless vegetable oil, sugar, artificial flavors and colorants that just mix well and gives the mix a nice smell and flavor when smoked. In a similar way gummies are made. Could it be? Do you remember the cherry oil being translucent or more transparent like a BHO?

Good luck with your quest.

translucent red, when spread on a paper, and a bright red

-axle

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have found two recipes for red oil.

Pg 57 here: http://calgarycmmc.com/E-books/E Books A-B-C/Cannabis Alchemy - D. Gold.pdf

and here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CannabisEx...d_hash_oil/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

7ho1iskgai421.jpg

Carraxe

Veteran

I'm going to check if the the THC converts to CBN under sunlight, as it is stated there. If it works in getting a different effect from my extracts it will be interesting for sure.

I don't like to smoke extracts, I think they are nice just for creams and oils (topical and oral dosing). But if some extract can be transformed in a sleeping pill, I want to try that.

Glass don't allow UV to get through, so the reason could be something different than UV.

Sweet smokes

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If you want sleep, why not make butter and then edibles? There are several threads in the edibles forum. My cannabutter cookies are a good daytime buzz and a great night time sleep aid. I think over cooking oil when decarbing will turn the THC to CBN also.

Some people put a little liquid lechithin in with the melted butter before adding the butter to the recipe - which helps some people get the goodies into their heads. My head is easily soaked so it doesn't matter.

axle2u

If you want sleep, why not make butter and then edibles? There are several threads in the edibles forum. My cannabutter cookies are a good daytime buzz and a great night time sleep aid. I think over cooking oil when decarbing will turn the THC to CBN also.

Some people put a little liquid lechithin in with the melted butter before adding the butter to the recipe - which helps some people get the goodies into their heads. My head is easily soaked so it doesn't matter.

very nice, touch...bro
I like it....sounds tasty too

Carraxe

Veteran
I already sleep quite well, and if I don't I've got some Taskenti or Black Domina to help a bit. I just want to experience this CBN thing. I remember very speedy sativas that after a year of oxidation became something similar to benzodiacepines. The opposite to what a Sativa should be. Instant yawn and death.

Just for curiosity, I want to try. Sorry for changing the subject of the thread.

Sweet smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
this is a type of cherry flavoring for food, eh...
and is not in any way related to the "cherry oil"...I am researching to make, a cannabis product to smoke....

that being said, it is interesting...
what do you intend to do with it...?

curious

-axle.......:tiphat:

Yes, I know what you mean. But I truly believe these smell and color you talk about doesn't come from the cannabis extraction, but from a mix like that one. Once purged, cannabis oil losses all the terpenes, so it is impossible to have any smell, even more something strong like the cherry you talk about. And think about the color... Intense red?

I bet the oil you remember is mixed with artificial flavors and colorants. Like a couple of drops of additive to each gram of extract. This would give it cherry smell and taste and red color, and it would be still strong smoke. Cannabis oil is very strong, solid and sticky when melted, and it is difficult to dose or mix into joints, so it would be easier to smoke it when mixed with glicerine, alcohol, whatever.

I'm thinking of trying. It has to be tasteful.

Good smokes

Last edited:

axle2u

well, i hear you and understand your logic, and thereby your conclusions

but I can tell you this about cherry oil in the late 70s early 80s
I had it several times, way back in the day, and im going by memory
it was on the scene, and then off the scene just as fast....it was in abundance at the time....when it was available.....it has been confirmed, that it was in 2 different international cities, at approx. the same time frame

my theory, is that this oil was made by a master chemist, the color and flavor of the oil
was not made by expensive additives, it was a byproduct of a chemical reaction during their process....
I believe it would have been manufactured onsite, close to the acres of fields of plantation,
in a foreign country , Lebanon, afganistan, maybe even Pakistan
somewhere along the "hippie trail"....and smuggled by a large ring...I suspect BOEL related....the stuff was made by the gallon and exported into Can and the US

if it was made onsite, it would have been made as cheaply as possible, right there
on the plantations.....extracted into oil.....now picture this, youre in a foreign country
3rd world at that, there are no drug stores, paint stores, or walmart....resourses are hard to find.....there is no everclear.....
the cheapest method of extraction is your only option....no additives or fancy cherry terps added, you manufactured oil by the gallon
I cant help but think they used a white gas....instead of what we use at home now, everclear....they might have even added isomerization to their process, add acid, reflux, neutralize acid, purge...evap off....

the acid used for reflux, was probably pool acids for swimming pools...
(sulfuric or hydrochloric) used to alter ph levels

my point being the tools they would have had in a 3rd world country....
yes...white gas, and yes swimming pool acids (at a major city-not in the jungle)
but those items could be obtainable in the mountains and valleys of jungle

this stuff was not made in the basement of some guys house in California
and yet it was so perfect....exotic, and never seen again for over 30 yrs

the stuff they call cherry oil today....IS NOT
its just a redish tinge, winterized oil...its a misuse of a name, today (misnomer)
and that's all it is....there is no comparison......not even on the same playing field

I am convinced, the color,smell,and flavor....was a byproduct
of their process....and not an additive, nobody was making cannabis terpene additives
back then, everything was highly ILLEGAL.....
thereby my conclusion is the whole process was illegal at the time, and covert and clandestine in a 3rd world country
with the materials available at the time....white naptha gas and pool acids makes a lot of sense to me....the fact that it was pure red, and had a flavor of cherry, was a byproduct of their process...the cherry flavor was probably a perceived flavor, or similar to cherry....that could be from the acid reaction during the isomerization process and refluxing.....they probably recovered their white gas in a still type setup, and they probably went through a ton or so of weed....and filled 45 gallon drums of the stuff
put it on a boat....when it moved, they moved a lot...

now fancy ass additives, you couldn't afford the expense alone, on a volume that much
never mind the availability of additives, or even if they even did exist back then..

you have to think about, what materials were available at the time frame,
and where they likely would have made it, and what materials are available there
ive been to 3rd world countries, twice in my life so far, and I can tell you, they don't have much of anything...off the beaten path....but there are swimming pools, even in the damdest places....my theory being that even in the most remote parts of the world, you could go to a city and buy a type of white gas, naptha, maybe kerosene too, and swimming pool supplies (acids)....ISO 99, or ISO 91, or everclear...forget about it

I am working towards proving or disproving my theory with the refluxing acid process
in extraction....my next experiments will be just that...I am building up a glass chemistry lab, and have acquired many pieces already...like separatory funnel
studied the process -changing delta 1s into delta 9s THC...but need more equipment yet...I will try the chemical reactions of isomerization
and use a sulfuric acid...reflux 2hrs then.neutralize, rinse, and then extract
if the color changes, I will know im on the right track....the flavor might be altered too

I am convinced, its do to process, not additives....
not on the volume and scale of operations, back in the day
you simply couldn't afford the amount of additives needed for that volume produced

furthermore, I need to figure out the source materials used, what weed ??
im experimenting there too....at first I thought a cherry weed, tried it -not it
grew that stuff....next grows are lebanese red...and also interested in PCK from Pakistan....
check out images of PCK and you can clearly see pinks and reds in the weed

im a couple yrs away, from knowing the secrets of this exotic and elusive oil
it will take a lot of experiments with different materials, and a lot of trial and error
and definitely patience, im 1yr into it now....

-axle

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
interesting thoughts axle, i think that your basic reasoning is solid
done at the grow location with materials available at/near the location
i'd take it a step further, again KISS all the way
perhaps there was no chemist, at least not a college type of chemist
but someone clever and willing to experiment
what about a simple acetone extraction? acetone was widely available and cheap
it can preserve terpenes because of its low vapor point
no heating or equipment needed, just open air and maybe sun

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Cannabis oil is very strong, solid and sticky when melted, and it is difficult to dose or mix into joints, so it would be easier to smoke it when mixed with glicerine, alcohol, whatever.

I'm thinking of trying. It has to be tasteful.

Good smokes

Spoon tech: Put some oil (or better yet squeezins from the same bud) on a spoon and have some ground flower ready. heat the spoon to soften the oil, and sprinkle the ground flower on. Stir and mix it in. Stuff the gooey pot in a tube and keep a butane lighter handy.

Reefer. Chapter nine here:

http://calgarycmmc.com/E-books/E Books A-B-C/Cannabis Alchemy - D. Gold.pdf

axle2u

interesting thoughts axle, i think that your basic reasoning is solid
done at the grow location with materials available at/near the location
i'd take it a step further, again KISS all the way
perhaps there was no chemist, at least not a college type of chemist
but someone clever and willing to experiment
what about a simple acetone extraction? acetone was widely available and cheap
it can preserve terpenes because of its low vapor point
no heating or equipment needed, just open air and maybe sun

yes, agreed....perhaps acetone...
the theory is sound...anything that was cheap and available in a 3rd world country -30 yrs ago

more to be investigated, and experimented with

thanks for your post !

-axle

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I thought Delta 1 and Delta 9 were the same. Just called different names because of different scientific classification programs.
I'm not sure, but I believe if you are looking at old books or papers they call it Delta 1 & 2, but then they classified them differently, and we now call them THC Delta 8 & 9.

igrowone

Veteran
yes, agreed....perhaps acetone...
the theory is sound...anything that was cheap and available in a 3rd world country -30 yrs ago

more to be investigated, and experimented with

thanks for your post !

-axle

when i was researching concentrates i did read some interesting stuff on acetone
it seems to have a superior capacity for terpene extraction and preservation
haven't tested it myself, but the information stuck with me

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I found this somewhere people are talking about cooking off compounds.

<Dennis
June 12, 2016 at 5:43 AM
I do not fully understand the temperatures listed in the table in light of my own observations. The boiling temps under a standard atmosphere seem to be MUCH higher when the elements of the mixture are heated up together as I do when I create POHO (red hash oil). If you have never tried fully realized red oil (POHO!) then boy howdy are you in for a treat. Nothing I have tried compares. I can easily maintain a temp of 365F in the final stages of preparation without the mixture of oil boiling though this must be approached with caution. Heating too fast or too much has destroyed much extract before I learned how to do this correctly. Zero solvents after the supercritical extraction for red POHO, and alcohol wash to make sunshine POHO. The final product is liquid at room temp and stores well in a syringe applicator in the refigerator. Even refigerated the finished oil is easily dispensed with a syringe applicator.

https://vimeo.com/170356666?utm_source=email&utm_medium=vimeo-cliptranscode-201504&utm_campaign=28749>

axle2u

when i was researching concentrates i did read some interesting stuff on acetone
it seems to have a superior capacity for terpene extraction and preservation
haven't tested it myself, but the information stuck with me

maybe so...but now how safe is that for human consumption I wonder....other solvents that can be used according to my research as well for example...
hexane, naptha white gas, acetone, chloroform too....
and maybe benzene but not sure...

-axle

axle2u

I thought Delta 1 and Delta 9 were the same. Just called different names because of different scientific classification programs.
I'm not sure, but I believe if you are looking at old books or papers they call it Delta 1 & 2, but then they classified them differently, and we now call them THC Delta 8 & 9.

hey brother....thanks for the compliment....

yes, I noted a change in the labeling of THC carbon chains as well
between older papers and newer ones, ive read papers on THC studies conducted back in the 40s....yes you read that right...lol
in the 40s, they were already studying this shit....lol
that and trying to figure out how to blow up hitler

the idea of isomerization is to create a chemical reaction with the acid, lowering ph levels to about a value of 3....and reflux solution for couple hours...this is supposed to create a change at the molecular structure level, changing lower carbon chains into higher carbon chains...possibly changing CBN into THC delta 9s I believe
which in essence is supposed to make your extract as much as 100% more potent -or so goes the theory of it...(THIS I GOT TO TRY).....I have some lab equipment but need more equip yet, before embarking on those experiments....but I will get there...lol

isomerization is like a turbo boost for your extract, in laymen's terms if done correctly....but be warned , you have to ensure you neutralize that damn acid, while its still an extract....which entails another lab procedure in which you will need a separatory funnel..
now ive done the research and read up on it somewhat, but still need to conduct hands on experiments....

im also hoping that this process renders a color change as well,
or a flavor change or both...

imagine to be able to have the power/knowledge and ability
to be able to alter color and flavor of your extracts just by a process and chemical reactions...no additives
further imagine, that you can manipulate it one way or the other
wow...eh...I wish....lol

does a higher ph level alter color to a yellow
, a lower ph level turn it red ?? -these are some questions in the back of my mind, that only experimentation will reveal

-axle