What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloudy water in my chilled DTW reservoir ugh!!

Dr.Tone

Cloudy water in my chilled DTW reservoir ugh!!

My 60 gallon res keeps getting cloudy on me. After 24hrs of adding nutes and aerating the water its cloudy and smell funky.

I use a 100gpd 5 stage reverse osmosis system to fill the res. it test out 000ppm and 6.0PH i can aerate this for weeks and no cloudy water. but as soon as i add nutrients it gets cloudy within 18 hrs and is really cloudy at 24 hrs.

Im using:
floraduo A 150ml
floraduo B 300ml
Koolbloom 300ml
Armor Si 100ml
Ph down 75ml

My water is chilled to 60.3 degrees also.

I cant beat this problem.

only way ive found is adding Alaskan forest humus to the res and the good bacteria out populates the bad guys, but the thing is there is water that sits in my pipes that goes to each plant and it get stagnant and runs out of oxygen by the time the next feed cycle starts and smells like rotten eggs and the PH has gone up from 5.5 to 6.5 lol my runoff out my pots is also raising to 6.5 and thats why i feed at 5.5 to sorta balance it out. there is clearly a bacterial infection in the root zone now.

i really just wanna keep a res sterile and clean for 3 days and its not working.

ive even added UV to my reverse osmosis unit.

only thing ive had luck with is mixing up the nutrient daily then watering. HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!

Dr.Tone

yea i actually tryed nuking out the rez befor i added nutes to it. i dumped half a bottle of the 29% h2o2 in there about 500ml in a 60 gallon rez. waited 3 days with heavy airation cause i didnt know if that was just way overboard and didnt want to oxidize the root zone lol added nutes and bam day later cloudy again.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Are you making sure you add the Armor Si 1st before any other nutes?

Otherwise,
I'd look into SM-90. Might not clear up the cloudy, but will have the reservoir smelling super nice and should protect the roots and allow them to thrive. I believe it's coriander oil and works extremely well.

... or small doses of Bleach (around 15mL into 55 Gal) may be beneficial in maintaining a sterile rez.

growteam

I use 0.5 ml bleach per gallon of solution. Every few days. It clears up and stays clean. Symptoms of too much bleach is droopy leaves. Then just replace nutrient solution and will perk back up.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1 of 2 things is wrong.
You're getting a bacterial bloom some how.
What type of ph down are you using?
I've had similar issues in hydro using powder based ph downs.
I think they're using citric acid for down, did funky shit to my res.
I switched to AN ph down and never looked back.
Ph up +down are the best AN products and the only ones worth using.

I'm not familiar with flora duo nutes, anything organic in it?

If it's not one or the other or both, I'm out of ideas.

growteam

1 of 2 things is wrong.
You're getting a bacterial bloom some how.
What type of ph down are you using?
I've had similar issues in hydro using powder based ph downs.
I think they're using citric acid for down, did funky shit to my res.
I switched to AN ph down and never looked back.
Ph up +down are the best AN products and the only ones worth using.

I'm not familiar with flora duo nutes, anything organic in it?

If it's not one or the other or both, I'm out of ideas.

citric acid did that for me too

Dr.Tone

I use a full synthetic nutrient line up and im using gh PH down. No organics here. ive added a cup of bleach to the barrel and let it bubble over night then shop vac'd it out and filled it back up quarter way and scrubbed it out with fresh ro water. rinsed and refilled. im gonna switch to dutchmaster gold a and b and koolbloom to see if it was just my base nutrients causing it to get cloudy. ive also ordered a clorine test kit for pools and im gonna try keeping 1ppm in the res at all times.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GH powdered down has citric acid in it.
The liquid is phosphoric acid.
If you're using the powder, therein lies your problem.

If not, you got me. I looked up product labels for the flora duo and I see no organic shit in it.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I had similar problems with DWC. The 2 things that helped the most, were Heisenberg tea, and keeping light away from the nutrient solution. HID light passes through many things you would not expect, like PVC pipe. I used panda film (black one side, white the other) where ever I could, to prevent the light getting at water.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
You never answered regarding whether or not you were adding the ArmorSi first. The reason he asked is because it can cause the nutrients to fall out of solution if mixed incorrectly. This will cause cloudy water!

Last edited:

rootfingers

Have you tested your tap water and found it totally unusable? I've found dramatic increase in stability after dropping my RO unit and switching to tap.

Dr.Tone

i always add my silica first. and yes i've tried my tap water. its the same as the ro water. cloudy after 18-24 hrs.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Im not gonna try and tell u what to do for this run but for the next run with no plants in the system bleach everything and run it for 12 hours... dump every thing then run system with h202 little water alot of h202 then grab CLEAN nutes i cant talk about he flora dou series but from what i know about flora series its not the cleanest nutrient.. I perfer to run hydro sterile as well...

run just a base nute a and b thats meant SPECIFICALLY for hydro and does not have anykind of humic and any dark nutrient that will produce beneficial bacteria.

on top of the base u can add a silica and a CLEAN bloom booster Big swell is what im using this round frist time using it in strait hydro but doesnt seem to gunk up my rez so i think it should be fine...

Use a liquid ph up and down eruoponic is the best ive foudn for that. Keep clean and every 14 days if ure on recirc dump and make new rez... u shoudl be ok add h202 every 3-5 days 3 ml per gal keep it sterile.

Latest posts

Latest posts