What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How often should you use avid?

I got clones off a friend, now have mites. I have not actually avid but a no brand abamectin product from local grow store. Sprayed yesterday, mites dont seem to be moving today so that's a good sign but I want to spray again for peace of mind

Had them around 18 months ago and sprayed twice, never saw them again until now. Can't remember how long I left it between sprays though

Also does this product have a shelf life? Being 18 months old hopefully its still good..

Plants are only 6" tall so easy as to cover every stem and leaf

Cheers

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
never is the correct answer.

Avid however is a 1 time application systemic though. Best to dunk the plants into it now when they are small clones and provided you treat every plant in the house they should be eliminated.. even after 1 dunk. Eliminating all trash in the house and giving the room a good cleaning w/ light bleach solution or perhaps pyrethrum bomb. Or heat bake the room by turning off your exhaust if you can maintain 120F temp for 45-1hr. Young well drenched plants (with lights raised way up) can also take this and is also said to eliminate mites, broad mites, mildews, etc.

Some dunk at clone and then spray a 2nd time before flipping to flower, but I wouldn't recommend using avid even that close to flower. If you're going to spray again do it within the next 3-4 days. I believe spider mite reproductive cycle is around 5-7 days

*generic abamectin did not work as well for me as the syngenta. I've noticed mites back on treated plants sooner then 60 something days..
* I have no idea about the shelf life, but if stored in glass vial or original bottle or something I can attest to it being pretty long.

It is imperative however that you treat every plant in the house at one time or you'll effectively render avid useless as mites are breeding on other plants in an avid environment and build an immunity to it.

PS - as I no longer will use Avid I've been having extremely good success with some expensive cinnamon oil concoction from my local hydro store (I'll have to try to get the real name of it - it might be unbranded Guardian, but I'm not certain of that). I started using it after a few Mighy Wash applications and havn't seen any mites in a while. The Mighty Wash smells of pyrethrum to me however so I don't believe it to be used in flower although the bottle states nothing about them.

Mites aren't too hard to get rid of if you stay on them with something organic/safe, but apply regularly at few day intervals to stop their reproductive cycle. Diligence is key.

Cheers man, will spray again in a couple of days and hope for the best. I think my success with it last time is because its a little known product here in New Zealand so probably haven't had a chance to build up a tolerance. Before abamectin I sprayed and sprayed pyrethrin? And it barely even phased them. I've been battling fungus gnats for the last few grows so if I can't get rid of the mites I'll have a break from growing and start fresh with new seeds...

jewcebox

once.

in clone.

thats it. if you have bug problems you have need to take preventative measures,

not responsive actions. easier to deal with the problem before it happens then when it happens.

bugs will always make their way into a grow unless its straight up sealed like cleanroom style and such lol.

But yea, clone one dunk.

Does it actually say not to use more than once or is that something you have all come to agree on? Pretty sure mine doesn't say anything about multiple use

Plants won't be harvested for another 11 weeks..

jewcebox

its just because its in the plant for a long time as its half life is pretty long like 50 days or something like that.

so if you sprayed 15 days into flower yours flowers have that chemical in them when you combust it in VERY low PPMS. Wont kill you, but sure as hell wont make you feel good.

And it cant be washed off like neem and other oils people use.

I thought that it staying in the leaf means new mites hatching will ingest as well for the next couple weeks? Or is that marketing hype?

Can't get forbid over here only a few products I've tried that either seem to do nothing or affect the plant in negative ways

No idea what kind of mites they are.. Generic spider mites?

BTW will not spray in flower not even two weeks prior

Polygon

Avid is translaminar, not systemic, just to sort that out from the comment above.

Use avid in veg, not in flower, although, avid's half life is surprisingly short. I'd stick with essential oils and neem if I had spider mites. Avid is really only needed for russet or broad mites. That's just my 2 cents though.