What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinking about using a 50/50 Coco/Hydroton mix. U got any experience with it?

Wait...What?

Veteran
sounds easy to clean and separate when you're done, but as someone who uses both media, I don't really see the point of combining them

localman

Tried this and it failed, media stays SOGGY and the Air space is limited quickly do to compacting from flood cycles

one or the other my friends DONT MIX lol

Using this with current success . Easy on the drenching! Add ewc to it and the mycos should lend additional infrastructure minimizing the compaction. Top down hand watered with little run off, its all working. Curious about recycling though

120Octane

I though had it bookmarked, still trying to learn the site. Look for jackmayoffer. He has a thread on coco wich he grows in using hydraton and coir mix, or chow mix. He is a large operation so maybe able to find some things to help you out with it. May need to look in the co co section to find it.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I have used coco mixed with hydroton, it is ok but nothing special. I really like Readygro Aeration Formula, it is 50/50 coco and perlite with organic amendments

botanicare-readygro-aeration-formula1.5cu-714800.jpg