What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Early Pearl

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I put the seeds into thr fridge overnight and have wet them in some paper towel as i had good success with this in the past and had 100% success with my KC crosses in past weeks.

It's decision time. Do I create a shade cloth area in my greenhouse and grow them under this brilliant sunny sky or put them inside a tent.. I really do not know what's best. I don't want to be seen looking after Ganja in the garden. I have some cover and what but it's not brilliant..

I was hopeing to get some ideas from some of the more experienced stealth outdoor farmers..

I once did a Blue cheese outdoors and it was huge.. It died from a 'Fungal Wilt' Fusarium or Verticillium Wilt.

The neighbours know I grow just don't wanna take the piss and fill my 8x8 bed with Early Pearl.. Well not untill I have them sex'd.

They take 50-70 Days aparently. @ my Latitude: 52.6062100 they may be slower or faster..

Opinions on a postcard sent to. "The Home Office"

I want them to finish in the good weather so was thinking if i do them outside and don't transplant or harde/wean them off they will be better for it. I can stil clone them and hide them whilst small and it's gonna save room and be the best option.

If they were finished by September @ 42n what the score with planting these in 5 litre pots in a greenhouse this week and therm doing i naturally.. How they going to grow? to tall or what? They have May June July August and then will they take all of September?

When did yours finish? Did will start time effect the patterns of growth?

I intend to grow them as colas if thats what happens with the genes as is stated i'll clone a lower branch not top out the apical growth..

Betterhaff

Veteran
Depending on your space, bend them. Keeps them stealthier, appearance wise, and the laterals almost grow like cola tops. Never grew Early Pearl but grew some Early Haze (Early Pearl in the pedigree via Early Queen). Bent a couple and the yield was great. Sorry, not the best pictures.

Attachments

• EH 2 Bent 7.25.12.jpg
    EH 2 Bent 7.25.12.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 13
  • EH 2  9.20.12.jpg
    EH 2 9.20.12.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 18

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So the seeds have been in towels for a week now it seems. They don't work..

I will have to put them into some dirt this week and leave them outside and forget about it and maybe one will pop..

Why is it that only I get good germination out of my own seeds..

corky1968

Veteran
Just plant them in full sunlight away from everything else.
Water them at night so your neighbors don't see what
your up to.

Time Bomb

So the seeds have been in towels for a week now it seems. They don't work..

I will have to put them into some dirt this week and leave them outside and forget about it and maybe one will pop..

Why is it that only I get good germination out of my own seeds..

Over the years I've learned that a lot of seed vendors will have stock from 5-10 years ago and they have bad germination rates. My own seeds start germinating worse after 3 years, I find 1-3 years is the best age for most seeds to get a high germination rate.

I've grown almost every early strain back over 10 years ago now and most left me unimpressed. I've seen a few pink pistils and it is pretty common in a lot of the early strains I've bought from dutch breeders. None of the early strains were even that early, most finish the same time as an AK plant or white widow even. I prefer to stay away from anything that has early in the name nowadays because they rarely finish earlier than others indicas and some hybrids and the potency is usually lower than something like a Hindu kush or papaya.

The best early strain I grew was called swiss miss from nirvana believe it or not, it had one plant that is in my top 10 of all time, up there with sensistar and dj shorts blueberry. I've grown at least 50 strains, some multiple packs indoors and out so I wish I kept the Swiss miss.

Anyway here's some pink pistils from something called passion#1 from I think Dutch Passion, maybe nirvana, it was a while ago. Potency was average.

There's a couple more in my gallery, one of thone pics won a pic of the month thing back when overgrow was a thing.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have decided that this is where I want to look. I perhaps think that the breeders that bred in in Holland from where it originated would have messed up with the male plants. They would have selected them under the wrong conditions and not stabilised the line in 1-1's after making open-pollinated seeds thus fcuking it sideways..

It would possibly need backcrossing to achive the early stabilisation, what they said they did..

They then need to throw away all the shit open-pollinated shite leaving a few 1-1 pure lines that could be interbred and used as new early acclimatised stock.. Not package and sell the mess.

Currently I can't say if they are early or late or on a level with any strain I've grown.

All I know is I ain't buying more dud seeds.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been and got a large hightop propagator and have planted up the seeds as iI usually do with a leyer of vermiculite to prevent capping and retain moisture. No fcuker can see what I am growing now. I have bought some shade cloth to hide the open side to the glasshouse and cover the roof on the south side due to location and I have propagated various climbing beans and Achocha so nobody will see the weed. I also have a kilo of white clover 'Trifolium repen's seed to do some work with this year. I also bought some Leucanthemum, Papaver rhoeas, and some Echinacea/coneflowers to plant surrounding the structure.

I have some chilies DocLeaf dropped off yesterday. I have some strawberries grown from seed and some heirloom tomatoes. That's the glasshouse full. Everything is going in growbags with a pot in the top..

Fingers crossed I get some Early Pearl in a few days.

corky1968

Veteran
All I know is I ain't buying more dud seeds.

This thing about name brand seeds being sold and being duds is really sad.

Like all they doing is shooting themselves in the foot.

Next Spring, I'm going to try these out and if successful will make lots of
seeds and never look back. The entire Dutch scene is so sad these days.

I'm glad at least, that I have made seeds with other strains and they never let me down.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thing about name brand seeds being sold and being duds is really sad.

Like all they doing is shooting themselves in the foot.

Next Spring, I'm going to try these out and if successful will make lots of
seeds and never look back. The entire Dutch scene is so sad these days.

I'm glad at least, that I have made seeds with other strains and they never let me down.

Me too I have 6 plants of KCxDC that I need to kill really. :biggrin: Luther Burbank

I have taken my pick already.. Most my seeds I made 7 years ago get 100% still. But I have them stored properly as per the seed type.. Most assholesdon't have any horticultural knowledg as per seed moisture content..

I had a pit that I keep stuff in like weed, seeds and other things don't need to have around me.

If I get these to germinate and grow I will be selling wholesale Corky :biggrin:

Makes me sick that there is all these Fem seeds but no fcuking Early Pearl, and it aint the vendors fault. Responsible seed companies should recall seed after evey financial year and but from the vendors and do test because if they went fresh and are ruined it could be commercial sabotage unlikely but I wouldn't put it past the fem guys.

corky1968

Veteran
Me too I have 6 plants of KCxDC that I need to kill really. :biggrin: Luther Burbank

I have taken my pick already.. Most my seeds I made 7 years ago get 100% still. But I have them stored properly as per the seed type.. Most assholesdon't have any horticultural knowledg as per seed moisture content..

I had a pit that I keep stuff in like weed, seeds and other things don't need to have around me.

If I get these to germinate and grow I will be selling wholesale Corky :biggrin:

Let me guess the name of your seedbank will be:

Sensi Who? :biggrin:

BM-504

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Made a road trip to Vancouver BC in the late 90s and scored some Early Pearl beans from Marc Emerys shop one of the the plants was a shitty producer but the taste /stone was out of this world.
I wish I had that one back.... it came in in mid Sept outdoor.

Stay safe
BM

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm looking for places to score more EP beans.. I may try The Skunkman, he seems to keep stuff alive.. I've spoken to Ben Dronkers directly he is not involved with day to day operations..

I've told him to sort his shit out, get some new employees that can do the job and make smaller seed batches more regularly.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wan't them from a breeder direct. If thery're the same batch which I have, they are lame.. Just been and watered nothing..

corky1968

Veteran
Well SKunkman isn't the breeder I think.

Neville was I suspect.

As for Sensi I hope they step up as well and start making fresh stuff.

archaicatoms

I wonder if this strain is about to disappear from the general public. The germination rates seem to be bad. Also, the "early" strains are almost impossible to keep clones of. This makes working this line extremely difficult from a breeders/preservation perspective. While most all lines are set up for poor preservation due to low populations in their gene pools. This line seems extremely in danger!

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
unfortunately, like the rest of the SensiSeeds things, it has gone worse, and no other seedbank seems to want to carry these strains forward....
mourn the extinction of sage and other old strains, but it seems that the great strains of the 80-90 years go towards the same end .....