What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Somango, 45w LED stealth PC

Hi!
Long time no postings ))

I’m up to a new grow report and will write down how do I see it.

Main: soil mix, organic ferts, of the shelf led lamps.
Strain: Somango (3/4 indica with Jack Herer, Super Skunk and Big Skunk Korean genetics), feminized, photoperiodic.
Growing techniques: topping, LST, removing small flowers beneath the canopy; 20/4 for pre-veg, 18/6 for vegetation and 12/12 for flowering.
The point is to receive more potent top buds at the sacrifice of the total outcome.
Growbox: middle-tower PC, stealth, total 45w mr16 LED lamps (4x7,5w 2700K + 3x5w 6000K, 3460Lm total which makes about 21000 Lux in 10cm under the lights or 31000 Lux in 5cm), around 0,45 sft, the height is 1ft (34 cm), charcoal air scrubber powered by a radial fan.

On the 26 day of July 2018 the nut has cracked and shown the root so it was introduced into the pot. Pot is as flat as possible and holds roughly 2l (1/2gal) of palm soil together with 15% perlite and 15% vermiculite. The bottom is covered by small fraction of watercured haydite for drainage purposes. There is no pH and ppm meters in my possession, however using the same water for a number of grows and organic fertilizers make me optimistic that things should go well.
For watering I use a larger pot to submerge the pot with the plant into the watering mix.

A previous Jack Herer grow in a same setup has almost failed due to a plant’s damage in vegetation, but it managed to recover and I decided to keep it after nearly 2 months since seedling. I had to cut off few branches and all of the lower buds and after the harvest I was surprised by the potency of the harvested buds – they were as good as grown under an arc lamp twice as powerful! The outcome was poor, smth around 10g (1/3 oz), but it doesn’t really matter. In this grow I want to check this technique for using with LEDs as the intensity of the light is low and it doesn’t penetrate deeper than a few layers of leafs.

Any input appreciated.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

July 28, Sprouted - Day 1.
picture.php

Spraing it with tap water couple times/day.
Lights 20/4 with dark time at noon (very convenient, btw). 3*5w 6000K lamps. Few days later I'll give it full light.
Ambient temps are as high as 27+C, growchamber temps 28+C.

July 30, Day 3.
picture.php

Training since nursery. This might be debatable, but we'll see how it goes.
picture.php

Watering: drained the pot in water to make the soil moist. It has been sailing until it sank ).

August 2, Day 5.
picture.php

Day 8 (August 4).

First week is over and the second true pair of leafs has shown.
From now on things should develop faster ).

Temps are as hight as 30C / 86F. The soil temp is 27C/80F. High... almost as high as hell. Hope that doesn't hurt the plantlet.

Reduced the light period: 20/4 -> 18/6 today (dark 11am-4pm).

No watering (spraing only) - to make roots grow in search of water.

picture.php

picture.php

that will hurt the plant, drop it at least 2c (aim for 24) as long as the soil is "cool" the plant itself can handle A LOT more

cover the top with white sand (reflection) and try to stop aim movement around the top (sides and bottom)

Another week is soon to be over and here is an update.
The ambient temps have decreased a bit and now it is about 27-28C in the growbox which make me sleep better at night :biggrin:

I tend to count the vegetation period since day 5 - after the first true pair of leafs has developed.

Day 10. Vegetation day No5.
The second watering. Surprisingly early, though it was so hot and the air was so dry that the soil has dried out. This is the watering approach I preffer.
picture.php

Some geometry that same day ))
picture.php

HuffnPufferfish, thx for stopping by!
Sadly, there's no AC to manage the temps in the room. All I can do is spraing the plant and keeping part of the lights off - the "cold" and "warm" leds are on different chanels so I can have working three cool lams, four warm or seven lamps alltogether.
Ah, covering the soil with paper helped a lot!! There is only one drawback - it is dazzling bright in the box! ) Opening the box seems like you've got a punch in the face, lol. Excellent improvement at no cost. And keeping the soil cool too. :tiphat:
So, day 13. Veg.day No 8.
picture.php

...try to stop aim movement around the top (sides and bottom)
The fan in the growbox is on min and I hope the exhaust fan (scrubber) is high enough to pull the warmest air out.

Temp is 28C inside so I lovered the plant a bit and switched all the lamps on (mighty 45w of pure power, ahahah).

Comparing to HID, LEDs radiate waaay less heat in the growbox. However, an air mixing fan in the vented hood could lower the heat load on the box and increase the lifetime of the lamps, I guess.

Emergency message.

Last evening noticed some spots on one of the lower leafs.
Having exemined the plant with a magnifying glass - can't understand the nature of this spots. To me it looks like mold/fungus and it scares me. As for now two leafs are damaged - they are the lower leafs (first true leafs after cotyledons). One leaf is damaged at about 40-50% another one just start to show the injury.
It is hot and dry environment and vented very well too - how could mold develop??
Can it be because of the white paper cover on the soil?
Here's some pics - what do you think and what should I undertake?

Day 14 overview.
picture.php

Healthy leaf (left pic), damaged (right).
picture.php

A closer look at the damage:
picture.php
picture.php

Next day (Day 15) it became significantly worse.
Had placed the plant in the direct sunlight for a few hours so that UV could work on the suffered areas. I have Sun only in the morning 6-11 a.m. The lights in the box go off at 10 a.m. So I have max about 4 hours to expose the plant to the sunlight.
picture.php

Should I cut the injured leafs away for the sake of the plant?

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldn't cut away any leaf, if the leaf dies, it dies. Cutting it off will surely kill it :p
What is your soil mix?
What you're seeing is usually due to pH/nutes.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Leave the leaves on for now.

Looks like a bit of pH/nute issue possubly due to overwatering or not 100% happy roots anyway.

blynx and Lost in a SOG, thank you for a soon reply!
I've read it that same day and preserved the leafs. :tiphat:
As for now, one is almost comletely ruined, the other has a leaf blight on the edges. The rest of the plant is just fine. Maybe growing not as fast, but nothing negative to mention.

I remember running in similar issues in some of the prev. grows. Although, it happened later with a more developed plant after the stem shoots started to develop. This time it is at least a week earlier and I got a panic attack. Maybe I shouldn't read as much about fungi )).

The substrate is palm soil with some peat and added perlite and vermiculite. The pot has a drenage and a layer of haydite (bloating clay?) on the bottom. So, it is unlikely to have the plant overwatered. The haydite has been water cured as I read it could cause pH issues when the roots reach it.

Next update coming soon.

Day 22 / Veg. day 17.

Hey!
It is week four since sprout and here is a brief update and a few pics.

The plant growth isn't rapid but gradual. The problem with the leafs has stopped with no help from me. Don't know what to think.
Guess I'll have to remove the branches from those two damaged leafs later.
The rest of the plant looks well. It grows under 15w 6000K. If turning on all 45w - the temp rises above 30C, so I keep 15w for now. This might be the reason of a slow growh.
The outside temp has declined. It is about 28-29C in the growchamber now.
Watered again on day 19 (plain water).

It's nice to see this little bushy green when cracking the growbox open ).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sorry for the poor photos quality.

Ah, a dome has fallen off one of the lamps! Now I have +5(%) of light, lol.

Hi, guys!
Thank you Huffn, Reiko and Dr.Zoidberg for your interest to my report.

ReikoX, nice to see you ). I've been growing all the time )) Had grows from average to good and eventually decided to post a new one. And now I'm happy to have experienced growers watching this experiment and advicing me from doing wrong things.

can you have really high ec/nutes in there with the perlite turning brown and the salt drying?
I'm not feeding the plant at all yet. Just plain water. It might be high ppm in the tap-water, but I have nothing to measure it with. The perlite has been always turning brown in a few weeks since start in this soil. I've been using minaral ferts, organic, jar-cured water - every time the same thing with perlite. The info on the soil pack says:
рН (Н2О): 5,5-6,5
N: 100-200 mg/l
P2O5: 140-260 mg/l
K2O: 120-200 mg/l
Microelements: (Fe, Mn, Cu, Zn, Mo).

Going to buy a pH and TDS meters soon.

As for the grow. Things are getting worse in my little garden.

Yesterday I opened the box and saw that the third pair of leafs started curling upward.

Gues it might be Mg deficiency because of a low pH or high water ppm or both. Need instruments anyway to have numbers to go with.

Also this might be caused by lack of aeration of the roots. The soil is damp and tight. I've tried to fluff it up carefuly with a toothpick. Maybe it is not enough perlite or the soil has been spoiled. I use a new pack of the same soil every time.

Any thoughts? I'd try to save this plant if possible.

Day 27 / Veg. 22.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Day 28 / Veg. 23.
In the sunlight this morning.
picture.php

picture.php

Is it OK posting large pics directly or thumbnails are better?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
That plant is definitely over watered. Let it dry out a bit more before watering again.