Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Do electronic ballast still interfere with wifi/internet ? ??

Thread Title Search
Do electronic ballast still interfere with wifi/internet ? ?? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2018, 10:29 PM #1
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to all
Do electronic ballast still interfere with wifi/internet ? ??

Ok guys first off I'm an old indoor grower that's had a lot of hps/mh ballast in my grows. I even had one of the first electronic Galaxy ballasts. And every time the ballast came on I'd lose internet signal.

Here's the question. I've not ran indoors in nearly 10yrs. I lost all my old indoor stuff in a storage locker. Now I'm wanting to get me a HID light for my basement. Really something cheap preferably a setup likes on amazon....everything included. But I'm wondering if these electronic ballast still interfere with internet/wifi.....I have kids and everybody knows they flip out if internet goes out. But I know there a lot of cheap electronic ballast setups available and just looking for FACTS from SOMEBODY with first hand info about electronic ballast. I'm sorry I'm not wanting to know what your friends buddy said.....if you don't have a electronic ballast and internet of your own I'm not interested in your opinion. Just wanting facts, because the old galaxy I had 8-10yrs ago knocked my internet the sec it came on. I know the magnetic ballast are a lil more expensive and always loved them so if that's kinda what I'm wanting to do. I'm not trying to start a electronic vs magnetic ballast war....but gotta make sure the internet isn't interrupted. I've not seen anything about the newer electronic ballast and the internet issue. I'm more so looking at cheaper electronic ballast....if I'm gonna have to but a expensive new galaxy I'd just go with a magnetic ballast.

Also I always used sunlight supply stuff back when I ran my grow rooms. If I'm gonna buy a magnetic ballast what's some of the better ones guys are using nowadays ????

Again guys I'm looking for HID lighting I'm not wanting LED or CFL. I'm needing the heat from a HID in my basement to keep it a lil warmer this winter. I know LED might be better but it's not on the table I'm only interest in HPS/MH. I used sunlight supply stuff almost 20 yrs magnetic and the lone 600 galaxy I had. But any electronic ballast that's not gonna kill the internet....not costing a lot. I'm looking for info. And what's guys using magnetic wise.....sunlight supply still the best??? What other magnetic ballast brands are you guys using now a days???

Thanks guys, if the electronic cheaper ballast still interfere with internet that fine. I'm good with a old magnetic style ballast.

Please only guys with 1st hand facts about electronic ballast internet problems. I'm open to opinions about magnetic brands and stuff.

Not looking to start a electronic vs led vs hid kinda arguement.
wvkindbud38 is offline Quote

Old 08-09-2018, 10:59 PM #2
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant future
I personally use LED so I have no first hand experience, but as of last year, yes, yes some still do cause RF interference. Ham operators even filed with the FCC last year 4 times over it. https://www.pressherald.com/2017/02/...dio-operators/ The easiest way to check if yours are causing interference is to tune an AM radio to a station that comes in clearly, then turn your ballasts on and off while you are walking around with the radio. It will be very obvious if they are leaking cause there will be tons of static on the radio that disappears when you disable the ballasts or get out of interference range.
Oops sorry I didn't see you wanted first hand experience only. My bad I can delete this if you want.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
Marijuana Botany: An Advanced Study The Propagation And Breeding Of Distinctive Cannabis By Robert Connell Clarke-->https://archive.org/details/Marijuan...nctiveCannabis
AgentPothead is offline Quote

Old 08-10-2018, 05:06 AM #3
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really nice
I would strongly recommend against using electronic ballasts unless you are growing in a legal climate.

I passed the AM radio test, but.. after a year of just snipping my coax line to avoid confrontation, over and over and over, the cable guy eventually came banging on my door to tell me he knew exactly what I was doing, and that I was disrupting over 600 people with a 600w ballast. He was cool as f*ck and told me to shut down shop immediately before the field techs came to look for "wiring problems" with a sheriff, and also to switch to satellite, altogether.

If you insist on using electronic ballasts, I would first make sure that they aren't made in china. I doubt you'll find a chinese made e-ballast that passes fcc rfi standards. I would then shorten the leads from the ballasts to the hoods as much as humanly possible, probably even mounting the ballasts to the hoods, gavita style, and equip the leads with rfi ferrules. I would then make sure i didn't have any redundant wiring anywhere in my house, and also make sure that my light fixtures were nowhere near any coax, preferably even pulling all the coax out of my house in favor of fiberoptic or satellite.

Or.. just stick to magnetics.
Bobby Boucher is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:23 AM #4
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to all
Yea I figured they might have come up with something different in the electronic ballast department.....but I guess things haven't. I loved my old galaxy 600 but it wasn't working with the internet. Everytime it came on the internet went out. I'm probably gonna get a magnetic ballast I guess. What's some other brands guys, I'm mainly just familiar with sunlight supply. Does any other companies making magnetic ballast besides hydro farm and sunlight supply. I'm searching around but only finding sunlight supply...which is fine but I'd like to check out some other brands.

Thanks Agent I'm probably just gonna go magnetic. My basement is kinda cold and I'm just a lot more familiar with magnetic stuff. I'm probably just needing 1light/setup. Mainly just wanting to keep a few moms and maybe small 3-5 plant grow. And something to have to get my outdoor plants a good size to with stand the rain and other things Mother Nature throws at us.

So anybody know of a decent magnetic setup ??? Think I saw one on amazon for under $200 but it's got that crappy hood/ reflector. I believe it's a 1000 watt sunlight supply...think it's switchable. Anybody have one or know if sunlight supply still has good stuff???

I'm making a comeback !!!!

WV's headin' outdoors 2018 grow

REAL GORILLA SEEDS 9 Strains !!!

Seedsman Fem Collection !!!

Female Seeds Critical Sour & Chem OG !!!

KC Brains Cristal Limit (fem)

Outdoor grow threads & album pics coming soon !!!!!

realgorillaclothing.com

WVs Outdoor Critical/Chem grow !!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=354027

WVs Outdoor RealGorilla strains
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355383

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:27 AM #5
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
I think the newer one don't cause problems.
I have two 600W Digital Ballasts that run both MH and HPS bulbs.
I like the fact that I can select 50%, 75% and 100% power as well.
According to the manufacturer they don't interfere with RF signals.

This is the kind I have in 600W power.

https://lightenerg.com/products/ballasts/ace.html

If the link doesn't work. Click the address bar in your browser.
Then use backspace to remove the s in https and it should work.

Working on Something Sneaky
troutman is offline Quote

Old 08-10-2018, 07:33 AM #6
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really nice
I just go with whatever is highest rated on amazon or ebay at the time as far as ballasts go.

I don't build my own ballasts, but the more reviews I read, the more and more skeptical I become of anything prefabricated until it burns in for a cycle or two.

I think building your own ballast would ultimately be the best way to go to ensure that you have one that wasn't made up of shoddy components, or damaged/defective in one way or another.
Bobby Boucher is offline Quote

Old 08-10-2018, 08:57 AM #7
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

I'm probably gonna get a magnetic ballast on amazon. There's pretty decent sunlight supply setup for $150 or so. Like I was saying the reflectors that cheap ass one but it would probably be ok for awhile. Just need a place/ light to start some plants for spring....a few moms. I might grow a few plants this winter. After not growing for some yrs and starting back from scratch. It's kinda hard when you don't have anything, and starting to build back up.

realgorillaclothing.com

Old 08-10-2018, 10:06 AM #8
Lost in a SOG

Lost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud of
Its really hard starting from nothing.. I got cleaned out by some thieves about 7 years back and I'm still getting shit together.. Best of luck with your new grow wvkind bro..
Lost in a SOG is offline Quote

Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 PM #9
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

Thanks friend, yes it's rough getting a few supplies back together. Sorry to here about your things getting stold.

realgorillaclothing.com

Old 08-10-2018, 03:30 PM #10
Raho

Raho is a name known to allRaho is a name known to allRaho is a name known to allRaho is a name known to allRaho is a name known to allRaho is a name known to allRaho is a name known to allRaho is a name known to allRaho is a name known to allRaho is a name known to allRaho is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
I would strongly recommend against using electronic ballasts unless you are growing in a legal climate.

I passed the AM radio test, but.. after a year of just snipping my coax line to avoid confrontation, over and over and over, the cable guy eventually came banging on my door to tell me he knew exactly what I was doing, and that I was disrupting over 600 people with a 600w ballast. He was cool as f*ck and told me to shut down shop immediately before the field techs came to look for "wiring problems" with a sheriff, and also to switch to satellite, altogether.

If you insist on using electronic ballasts, I would first make sure that they aren't made in china. I doubt you'll find a chinese made e-ballast that passes fcc rfi standards. I would then shorten the leads from the ballasts to the hoods as much as humanly possible, probably even mounting the ballasts to the hoods, gavita style, and equip the leads with rfi ferrules. I would then make sure i didn't have any redundant wiring anywhere in my house, and also make sure that my light fixtures were nowhere near any coax, preferably even pulling all the coax out of my house in favor of fiberoptic or satellite.

Or.. just stick to magnetics.
This is right on the money.
Listen to Bobby

“You Can Recognize A Pioneer By The Arrows In His Back.”

Everything x oBoy
Raho is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.