I'm doing my best to put Autoflowering White Widow Big Bud through it's paces by making use of challenging environmental conditions, ignorance and neglect amongst other tools. The WWBB-A seems really up to the challenge so far.
This tale starts back in March when I got my package from Female Seeds and decided to try one out and see if it could handle some unforgiving early spring weather or if I might get lucky with summer starting early.
I didn't get lucky with the weather, but that first seed was able to handle growing very slowly outdoors in 50 degree gloom and rain. About two weeks after I started that first one and saw that it was doing OK I started three others. All three of them came up and the quartet puttered along on my rooftop in the wind and the rain through April and didn't get too big. When I transferred them up to larger container the roots were stringy and sparse. Right around the start of May the weather turned a little nicer and the first WWBB got up the 5th true node and started stretching big, it ended up about triple the original miniature height and started to make flowers.
I started two more seeds of the WWBB-A on May 1st.
By mid-May I was expecting similar stretching behavior from the trio I started in late March, but instead I was greeted with a variety of misbehaviors from them and I couldn't figure out what was wrong for a few weeks until it was pointed out to me by a less involved party that they were probably filthy with mites. After a few sprays of lemon, alcohol and essential oils those three started to recover and make their own flowers.
Meanwhile one of the two that I started at the beginning of May was a monster, I haven't seen too many more vigorous seedlings, it got big in a hurry and started flowering in early June, about three weeks faster than that one I started in early March. Its sister was plenty aggressive too.
Here is a photo of the 6 of them in mid-late May. You can see how fucked up the mid sized trio looks from the mites and how big that super seed is compared to it's sister.
After a few rounds of spraying got the mites back on their heels those three started making nice looking flowers.
I isolated them from my other plants regardless and started preventative spraying on the plants which weren't yet showing the symptoms of infection. So far so good. The pair I started in May began their stretch in early June, here is a photo of the two flanking to first plant at mid June.
Here is a similar photo towards the end of the month, you can see that 2.5 liters is a plenty big enough container if you want to veg in the refrigerator or outdoors in poor weather, but the plant gets rootbound in that size if you try to grow it in a 2.5l in more reasonable atmospheric conditions.
And here is a closer look at that flower in the middle.
Hopefully those little white bits all over are trichomes and not mites.