Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Female Seeds > White Widow Big Bud Automatic Outdoor

Thread Title Search
Click for great cannabis genetics at Female Seeds!
White Widow Big Bud Automatic Outdoor Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2018, 02:58 AM #1
PDX Dopesmoker

PDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant future
White Widow Big Bud Automatic Outdoor

I'm doing my best to put Autoflowering White Widow Big Bud through it's paces by making use of challenging environmental conditions, ignorance and neglect amongst other tools. The WWBB-A seems really up to the challenge so far.
This tale starts back in March when I got my package from Female Seeds and decided to try one out and see if it could handle some unforgiving early spring weather or if I might get lucky with summer starting early.

I didn't get lucky with the weather, but that first seed was able to handle growing very slowly outdoors in 50 degree gloom and rain. About two weeks after I started that first one and saw that it was doing OK I started three others. All three of them came up and the quartet puttered along on my rooftop in the wind and the rain through April and didn't get too big. When I transferred them up to larger container the roots were stringy and sparse. Right around the start of May the weather turned a little nicer and the first WWBB got up the 5th true node and started stretching big, it ended up about triple the original miniature height and started to make flowers.
I started two more seeds of the WWBB-A on May 1st.
By mid-May I was expecting similar stretching behavior from the trio I started in late March, but instead I was greeted with a variety of misbehaviors from them and I couldn't figure out what was wrong for a few weeks until it was pointed out to me by a less involved party that they were probably filthy with mites. After a few sprays of lemon, alcohol and essential oils those three started to recover and make their own flowers.
Meanwhile one of the two that I started at the beginning of May was a monster, I haven't seen too many more vigorous seedlings, it got big in a hurry and started flowering in early June, about three weeks faster than that one I started in early March. Its sister was plenty aggressive too.

Here is a photo of the 6 of them in mid-late May. You can see how fucked up the mid sized trio looks from the mites and how big that super seed is compared to it's sister.

After a few rounds of spraying got the mites back on their heels those three started making nice looking flowers.
I isolated them from my other plants regardless and started preventative spraying on the plants which weren't yet showing the symptoms of infection. So far so good. The pair I started in May began their stretch in early June, here is a photo of the two flanking to first plant at mid June.

Here is a similar photo towards the end of the month, you can see that 2.5 liters is a plenty big enough container if you want to veg in the refrigerator or outdoors in poor weather, but the plant gets rootbound in that size if you try to grow it in a 2.5l in more reasonable atmospheric conditions.

And here is a closer look at that flower in the middle.

Hopefully those little white bits all over are trichomes and not mites.
PDX Dopesmoker is online now Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:10 AM #2
PDX Dopesmoker

PDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant future
Here is a photo of that one in the Yellow pot on June 3. The 3rd picture above is June 27

This is what the bud looked like June 27

This is photo shows the size of the plant I started March 8.

All in all I'm really liking this strain so far, it vigorous as all hell when given even mediocre conditions, they really wants to grow and have handled some challenging conditions as well. Cold weather, no sun, a little hail, small containers and a few different species of mites haven't even slowed them down too much.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:09 AM #3
PDX Dopesmoker

So one thing I think I noticed along the way so far is that the autos don't seem to go at a set time, seems like they start to stretch when the 5th node grows out from the 4th regardless if it takes two months to get there or 5 weeks. I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this, but I haven't read most of the autoflower threads on this board so I'm not too familiar with all the nuts and bolts of this segment of the genetic continuum yet.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:43 AM #4
PDX Dopesmoker

Here are some new pictures of some of the plants, as you can see things are moving along pretty nicely, although that one in the 2.5 liter is hella potbound it will still end up producing some nice flower.

This is a closer look at the big one's top

This is about as close as I can go at the moment

The top of the one thats been flowering 10 weeks is looking pretty done, most of the fans have faded and fallen off and the bud is fat, sticky & smelly. Good a good mix of skunk, pine & overripe cantaloupe odor.

But it is still producing new calyxes, fresh pistils & more resin as you can see. I get the impression I could just let this one go until the first frost and have some super fat 24 week flowers.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:54 AM #5
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Dopesmoker View Post
So one thing I think I noticed along the way so far is that the autos don't seem to go at a set time, seems like they start to stretch when the 5th node grows out from the 4th regardless if it takes two months to get there or 5 weeks. I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this, but I haven't read most of the autoflower threads on this board so I'm not too familiar with all the nuts and bolts of this segment of the genetic continuum yet.
Genetics play a big part of it. Looks great!
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders in the USA- check out our unique quality cannabis autoflower hybrid seeds for medical conditions and recreational stimulus at down to earth prices. Now 12 years running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 PM #6
Guy Brush

Guy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really nice
Quote:
You could assure yourself by getting a pocket microscope. Mine did cost me 3 bucks or so.
Guy Brush is offline Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 01:23 PM #7
Female Seeds
Vendor

Female Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really nice
Hello PDX!

Hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying these (hopefully sunny) days of summer.
I am so glad to see this lovely variety on ICMag, thank you for documenting the grow with pictures and descriptions, much appreciated.

Sorry to hear about the mites, it seems like the really stopped the growth of the plant but nice that you could solve the issue so fast

So, let me see if I understood well.
You started 1 in March, 3 two weeks later, and other 2 in May.
At what stage of flowering are the first 4 plants?

Thank you for the proper pictures and for the close ups,

All the best,
Mr B.

Quote:
I'm doing my best to put Autoflowering White Widow Big Bud through it's paces by making use of challenging environmental conditions, ignorance and neglect amongst other tools. The WWBB-A seems really up to the challenge so far.
This tale starts back in March when I got my package from Female Seeds and decided to try one out and see if it could handle some unforgiving early spring weather or if I might get lucky with summer starting early.

View Image

I didn't get lucky with the weather, but that first seed was able to handle growing very slowly outdoors in 50 degree gloom and rain. About two weeks after I started that first one and saw that it was doing OK I started three others. All three of them came up and the quartet puttered along on my rooftop in the wind and the rain through April and didn't get too big. When I transferred them up to larger container the roots were stringy and sparse. Right around the start of May the weather turned a little nicer and the first WWBB got up the 5th true node and started stretching big, it ended up about triple the original miniature height and started to make flowers.
I started two more seeds of the WWBB-A on May 1st.
By mid-May I was expecting similar stretching behavior from the trio I started in late March, but instead I was greeted with a variety of misbehaviors from them and I couldn't figure out what was wrong for a few weeks until it was pointed out to me by a less involved party that they were probably filthy with mites. After a few sprays of lemon, alcohol and essential oils those three started to recover and make their own flowers.
Meanwhile one of the two that I started at the beginning of May was a monster, I haven't seen too many more vigorous seedlings, it got big in a hurry and started flowering in early June, about three weeks faster than that one I started in early March. Its sister was plenty aggressive too.

Here is a photo of the 6 of them in mid-late May. You can see how fucked up the mid sized trio looks from the mites and how big that super seed is compared to it's sister.

View Image

After a few rounds of spraying got the mites back on their heels those three started making nice looking flowers.
I isolated them from my other plants regardless and started preventative spraying on the plants which weren't yet showing the symptoms of infection. So far so good. The pair I started in May began their stretch in early June, here is a photo of the two flanking to first plant at mid June.

View Image

Here is a similar photo towards the end of the month, you can see that 2.5 liters is a plenty big enough container if you want to veg in the refrigerator or outdoors in poor weather, but the plant gets rootbound in that size if you try to grow it in a 2.5l in more reasonable atmospheric conditions.

View Image

And here is a closer look at that flower in the middle.

View Image

Quote:
Here are some new pictures of some of the plants, as you can see things are moving along pretty nicely, although that one in the 2.5 liter is hella potbound it will still end up producing some nice flower.
View Image

This is a closer look at the big one's top
View Image

This is about as close as I can go at the moment
View Image

The top of the one thats been flowering 10 weeks is looking pretty done, most of the fans have faded and fallen off and the bud is fat, sticky & smelly. Good a good mix of skunk, pine & overripe cantaloupe odor.
View Image

But it is still producing new calyxes, fresh pistils & more resin as you can see. I get the impression I could just let this one go until the first frost and have some super fat 24 week flowers.
View Image

Old 07-19-2018, 03:38 AM #8
PDX Dopesmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Brush View Post
You could assure yourself by getting a pocket microscope. Mine did cost me 3 bucks or so.
Hahaha that was just some side commentary on the quality of my camera, which I'm not at all satisfied with.

Here is a picture of the group again

Here is a closer look at the one I started backing March, tomato got in the way in the first pic. She's looking pretty done.

This is the top of the big one

Closer up

This is a close up of the one I have in the 2.5 liter pot. That container is way too small, the plant is making nice frosty flower, but they're one the smallish and lightweight looking side. The yellow container is only 2.5 liters more, but its going to end up with a lot more than twice as much bud.

I took all these photos on the 14th

Old 07-22-2018, 02:56 AM #9
PDX Dopesmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Female Seeds View Post
Hello PDX!

Hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying these (hopefully sunny) days of summer.
I am so glad to see this lovely variety on ICMag, thank you for documenting the grow with pictures and descriptions, much appreciated.

Sorry to hear about the mites, it seems like the really stopped the growth of the plant but nice that you could solve the issue so fast

So, let me see if I understood well.
You started 1 in March, 3 two weeks later, and other 2 in May.
At what stage of flowering are the first 4 plants?

Thank you for the proper pictures and for the close ups,

All the best,
Mr B.

Yeah its only my 2nd year with these kind of mites and my first spring with them so I don't quite have the hang of handling the situation completely, I was surprised they jumped out and took over so quickly in the spring. Live and learn I guess. The plants all recovered and ended up making nice flowers with a fantastic pine & candy odor thats kinda like White Widow as far as I remember it, its been almost three years since the last time I saw the real WW.

Here is some pics of the ones from March, That one at far left has got to be one of the smallest flowering plants from seed anyone has posted on this site yet. It seemed like maybe it liked the cool, wet spring weather a little less than the other three sisters and the russet mites didn't help. The one I started earliest is center right. This photo is from last Saturday, the rest I took earlier today.

A closer portrait of the midget

Its stipe has the girth to be a much larger plant

The bud it made post recovery is pretty nice.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:11 AM #10
PDX Dopesmoker

The two I started back in May are starting to get some pretty big fat flowers and faded out the fan leaves pretty quick now too. The one in the small container must be badly constricted because its kinda slowed down some recently flower-wise while the one in the larger container continues to cover itself with copious new calyxes and get fatter and bigger every day. This is a photo from earlier today.

These plants all have a very consistent pine & candy odor. Seems like a really steady performer in that respect and really steady in most of it's other characteristics as well. Its a very pleasant odor/flavor.