What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Repuk's First Outdoor Run: ACE's Honduras, Ethiopian and Lebanese

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Even backyard plants. Just have to keep an eye on the level, and you don't have to worry about evaporation or if the water is penetrating deep enough.

Nup

Plants are looking good! Nice thin leaves already.

I like the look of that terracotta pot... May be better at aeration then a SIP system for indoors.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
TychoMonolyth said:
Even backyard plants. Just have to keep an eye on the level, and you don't have to worry about evaporation or if the water is penetrating deep enough.

It hit me last night, these would be really nice for the young avocados and the harsh summer here!

Problem is this should be deployed prior to planting... if I dig near the trees now I will damage the roots I'm afraid...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
You'd have to find out from an arborists before you tried to dig. I have a two year Oak tree I damaged the roots and it stop growing for three years. But I damaged a Maple at the same time and it almost doubled in size.

Like weed, some love a transplant and reward you for it, but pull an auto out of a pot and see how much it enjoys that.

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I believe as a rule of thumb (e.g. while fertilizing) you take into account the tree height, using that as a diameter around the trunk to calculate how roots spread, though guess each strain will be different.

rexamus616

Veteran
hey man... good luck with your outdoor grow!

heres a self-watering system i use : Self-watering/wicking bed

line your hole with plastic (to catch water and hold it) and make sure you have an 'overflow' to guard against flooding.

:tiphat: best wishes with your grow!

Utrinique

This seems to have been one of these situations where doing nothing was the best possible action...

Once I stopped trying to drown them (coco style), they started making progress... I haven't watered them in a week (since repotting), watching them closely in order to water as soon as I notice droopiness.

It clicked instantly in my head while reading TychoMonolyth's Many Forest Gorillas vs Several Forest and Well Tended Plants yesterday (great thread! still reading!)

View Image

That will explain why they aren't drinking if any while thriving inside the micro greenhouse (has ventilation)...

I'm tempted to do a trial directly on the ground... the spot is surrounded by reeds, soil is forest-like: full of reeds rhizomes (nothing that some pick wouldn't fix), but really dark, fragrant smelling and loose.

My fears: not being able to move the plants if need arises, and looking on how surrounding plants develop, afraid of ending up with a monster...

Gonna try with a Krystalica cut I was about to ditch... (I know these develop into small plants). This way I can get some training on me to fight pests or other issues before I bring the ACE seedlings, etc and see also how does the ground soil perform.

That makes a lot of sense, and in line with the tropical sativas info Ibechillin posted... also being cannabis a seasonal plant why devote that much energy to throw a deep tap root... :yes:

Perhaps take soil samples of the area you intend to grow in next year/time.
You should be able to find a soil chart to help determine the soil type.ie- sandy silt, sandy clay, clay silt.etc
Then add ammendments till and add feed.
Prepping for next year.
Like what veg allotment guys do.
To take soil samples take around 10-20 with a mini ogur put each sample into a separate bag and label to each hole.
Remove all stones grit over a cm in size then put some from each sample into a test tube or simmilar with distilled water.
Leave for 24hrs and dont disturb the samples which will leave you with the different layers of sediment in order.
Smell and feal the soil before putting into the tubes to help determine soil type also.
The soil sample chart should be in the form of a triangle and will give you more helpfull instructions than i can on here.
Hope this helps you.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
:thank you: Utrinique!

Soil is mostly loamy, sandy with a touch of clay on the surface, but for the reeds area, where is darker and looser.

I think I'm going to get a good grip on this soil thanks to the experience I'm slowly gathering with the fruit trees and specially the veg garden.

Will also test the cut with this soil alone to see how it develops.

Have a soil PH meter too, but too busy lately, will conduct some testing and experiments with it when time allows...

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
:thank you: rexamus616!

Impressive! and very well documented :tiphat:

BTW, wrong link to it in your thread, I just went straight to your albums to locate it.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Hey Chaos! :tiphat: :yes:

Nup said:
Plants are looking good! Nice thin leaves already.

Hey Nup! :yes: The honduras stretch like mad, looking lankier and thinner as each day passes :biggrin:

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
This is how they look today

This is how they look today

picture.php

Seeing plenty of white flies around... doesn't seem to affect them.

Thinking on repotting to 25L asap.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Repotted

Repotted

I repotted them yesterday, each pot had soil made of (fistfuls)

- 8 x peat (blumenerde)
- 4 x coco (canna)
- 4 x 1 year old vermicompost (own)

Watered with tap water PH'ed to 6.2.

Will add leonardite as top dressing the moment I see they're established.

All rootballs looked healthy, liked this soil mix much better, feels "spongy" when watering, with really good drainage.

They're starting to show some traits: e.g. purple petioles on one Honduras, thinnest leaves on Ethiopian #2, different structure on Lebanese #1...

Will take some pictures the moment they bounce from the transplant for more apparent differences.

One Lebanese is shorter than the rest, and has really compact internodes, growth structure looks different from the other one:

picture.php

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
:tiphat: Thanks Tycho, truth is I'm liking outdoors growing in soil... it's equally addictive!

The plants seem to be thriving now, should explode in growth after the repot.

Unsealed cobs today to check moisture... this time I'm getting an additional note to the sickly sweet smell, due to fresh corn husks I guess... like brined olives.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi repuk,

They seem inoffensive, but white flies can slow down the growth of your seedlings and weaken them against other pests and illness. Be consistent with alternating sprays of neem and potassic soap (OleatBio for example) so you can solve the problem now, plagues are much more difficult to deal with them when plants are bigger and the summer days are hot as hell.

Glad the Honduras is showing purple petioles, pigmentation in this strain is usually related to the purple pheno, which is the strongest and tastiest expression among Honduras genepool, hopefully that's the case.

The pure Ethiopians can stretch a A LOT after seedlings stage.
Plants with different sizes can be found in our Lebanese, usually the taller ones produce more faxtailed kind of flowers and have a longer flowering time.

Buen fin de semana! :)

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Gracias Dubi! :tiphat:

Dubi said:
Hi repuk,

They seem inoffensive, but white flies can slow down the growth of your seedlings and weaken them against other pests and illness. Be consistent with alternating sprays of neem and potassic soap (OleatBio for example) so you can solve the problem now, plagues are much more difficult to deal with them when plants are bigger and the summer days are hot as hell.

Glad the Honduras is showing purple petioles, pigmentation in this strain is usually related to the purple pheno, which is the strongest and tastiest expression among Honduras genepool, hopefully that's the case.

hope is a girl!!! :woohoo:

I'm spraying them just I'm spraying everything else, lot of fruit trees and plenty of white flies, though it's been three days of "true summer here" (43C/110F at shadow) and usually that kills them, or at least the aphids... so far they seem to be the most resistant all around just like any other weed :biggrin:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Repuk I'm enjoying the show. Thanks

Dubi, thank you for your help being proactive on growing issues. It helps me greatly every season.
Peace