What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Microscopy

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In response to some emails; PLEASE SEE; My updated post way further in the thread.

There are those who wish to purchase microscopes to view soil, compost and compost tea organisms. I have posted a number of times over the years that it is not so much the magnification which counts but more important is the light, provision of contrast and quality of optics.

Despite this, many people fall for the ads for the low cost - high magnification microscopes.

An ad which states 'magnification up to 2000x' is meaningless babble meant to suck in the novice. I never use over 500x

Same thing if the scope is described as a doctor's or veterinarian's microscope - no such thing.

Or how about the line stating, 'made by the same people who make high end Leica & Zeiss, etc.' [make me laugh]

One of the worst offenders for slogging cheap crappy scopes is AMscope. You can get by with one of these but it may take some work. It is not as easy as turning on the microscope, putting something on a slide and looking down the tube. One needs to learn how to focus and provide a contrast which will show up organisms which are the same refractive index as the liquid they are in (transparent).

If you are lucky the condenser iris will be sufficient to provide this but if you have some shitty-ass LED mickey mouse lighting, you may need to employ other tactics.

There is lots of info on the web for tweaking or using microscopes so get busy learning.

Alternatively one can purchase a recommended scope and pay to take lessons from the person who recommended it or find a scope for sale which comes with a course and learning support from someone who has already done the heavy lifting.

Using a microscope is pretty much as easy as using binoculars but you need to have decent quality to begin with.

Same thing with the crap cameras. Usually the chip to driver combo is insufficient for tracking moving organisms; does not matter how many mb.

Here is some basic information to use as a guideline if purchasing a microscope. For more details you may look here;
http://microbeorganics.com/microscopeadvisory.pdf

You want a compound transmitted light microscope (not reflected light; not dissecting stereo scope) with the following attributes;

* 10X widefield eyepieces
* at least 10x, 20x, 40x objectives but 4x or 6x is nice to have
* height adjustable condenser with closeable iris - 1.25 numerical aperpture (NA) or 0.90 NA slightly better
* mechanical stage - controls for moving the slide around under the objective - a manual one with clips will drive you nuts
* if getting a new scope I recommend at least 20 watt halogen lighting - with LED you can get standard brightfield viewing quality with 3 watt but for any enhancements you need 5 watts or more
if buying used some of the older scopes were set up to function well with 15 watt halogen or incandescent (e.g. Leitz black models)

You want to consider whether you wish to get a monocular or binocular viewing head. If you are going to spend lots of time looking down the tube, then a binocular is way easier on the eyes and brain. A trinocular head allows the mounting of a camera.

Bear in mind if you use a camcorder or quality digital camera you will also require an adapter.

Last edited:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so the microscope thing is like the telescope thing ~where there are "department store" telescopes w/ outrageous magnification but a tiny tube which delivers nothing more than a blurry splotch @ those high "X"s

and; you can give people advice but the salesman will surely reverse all your work in a matter of moments

V

vonforne

I have heard in the past that microbeorganics.com is a great place to get a good scope and the owner is a super helpful man with extensive knowledge with scopes of this kind.

O

OrganicOzarks

For the hobby grower a cheaper scope will work just fine. I have an Amscope, and I will admit that yes they are sub-par compared to a $5000 scope. Hell you can get a great used scope for $2,500 on Ebay, but you can get an Amscope for $300. If you are going to be serious then you should shell out the thousands for a good scope. Olympus BH2 comes to mind. Check Ebay for good deals. But for the average person an Amscope will perform the task.

I would also like to point out that purchasing a higher end scope camera would be advised if you are going to use it for photography. I use my DSLR, and it really is hard to work with. Shutter shake is one thing to contend with among other things. There are some manufacturers in China that you can purchase from direct. ToupTek is one.

The person that first showed me how to look at compost tea, and use a scope has a Leica. For the price he over payed. It does the trick, but the quality did not blow me away.

Ebay, Ebay, Ebay, for a good deal on a scope. I see them all of the time. A couple of grand will get you something that will last a life time.

I would also advise reading

"Practical Digital Photomicrography"

if you are interested in taking pictures, and or video. It is a great read, and full of overwhelming information. You won't stay overwhelmed to long.

If you don't have thousands of dollars for a scope I know of this Canadian gentleman who happens to sell good quality scopes.

www.microbeorganics.com

Paying the extra for one of his scopes would be advised. What is an extra couple of hundred bucks when money grows on trees.:)

OrganicBuds

Veteran
So, I want a scope with lots of magnification power right.............................

Just playing.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Meiji are very good quality if buying new ($2000 to $6000 range). This is what CTguy uses.

You can find a good used scope on Ebay. You do need to know what you are doing though. If the seller does not know microscopes do not buy (unless you really know what you are doing) There was never, ever, ever a finer microscope made than the 70s through 80s Leitz Orthoplan. At the time of manufacture, it was a matter of extreme quality craftsmanship and pride. A fully outfitted Orthoplan was the same price as a brand new very nice home. It is, of course what I use ;>

Yes Leica unfortunately began making some Chinese scopes which are the $1500 range ones.

The best camera to use with a scope is a camcorder with at least 10X optical remote control zoom, with firewire or HDMI computer interface and a Martin microscope adapter.

That Canadian guy includes a 34 chapter course on DVD and custom made image enhancement filters with each microscope. A value in itself of $300.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Old geological or petrological scopes are of high quality , complicated condensors and circular stage , often quite inexpensive and readily adaptable to live slides.

A vintage Russian or East German monocular scope with a quality lense off fleabay is an inexpensive quality solution , second user zeiss and similar binocular scopes fetch a high price now compared to a decade ago.

The current scopes from India are of solid construction and design but let down by mediocre optics , they can be upgraded and made good and worth consideration.

Those of chinese origin are dreadfull in every respect , little more than toys , beware of their rebadged crap seemingly comeing from Germany.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most Chinese scope bodies and optics are crap, as stated by foomar. I advertised in China for over a year before I found a small company using brass workings and reasonable quality optics. They were also willing to make a custom objective and custom eyepieces for me.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Makers like Vickers did thousands of boxed sets for students 50,s to 80,s , well made but usually with damaged or missmatched optics by now , worth getting one cheap and replaceing glass if needed as nothing current will come close for 1000 quid.

The rack and pinnion mechanism is quality and adjustable for wear , maintaining precise and repeatable movement.

The cheap modern ones have a loose unpredictable backlash travel from poor design and materials , this quickly becomes maddening in use.

Noticed on fleabay that the famous names fetch a high price , but lesser known but still very good makers go for little in comparison.

Its worth consideration that quality second hand retains its resale value but chinese crap goes to landfill fast.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For example only. These links will soon be no good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Wetzl...aultDomain_0&hash=item2580c66c6b#ht_87wt_1152

damn good scope but a little awkward stage controls; I have a similar one which I use at seminars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Dialu...ultDomain_0&hash=item2a2f863924#ht_1366wt_914

probably a good scope

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEITZ-WETZL...aultDomain_0&hash=item19cbe6f743#ht_511wt_914

They do not give good details but if it has good optics, working and the correct condenser to correspond to the objectives it is worth more than twice the posted price. It looks as if it includes an adjustable magnification enhancer which I have seen sell for $3500 by itself. If in good shape, the 100x interference objective by itself is worth $2500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cased-Leitz...ltDomain_0&hash=item3f2790585e#ht_3661wt_1152

Nice little scope

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Leitz...ultDomain_0&hash=item19dfe0e892#ht_392wt_1152

example of overpriced

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEITZ-LABOR...aultDomain_0&hash=item2c70ac635f#ht_531wt_914

could be worth inquiry

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ernst-Leitz...aultDomain_0&hash=item5af2ce1be1#ht_889wt_914

sounds good

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEITZ-WETZL...ltDomain_0&hash=item3cc9e5da07#ht_27021wt_914

worthy of inquiry

You get the idea

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Note that since this was made a sticky, I have edited/updated the first post.

B

BugJar

No offense MM just wondering why this is a sticky.

what percentage of people here do you think use microscopes?

V

vonforne

No offense MM just wondering why this is a sticky.

what percentage of people here do you think use microscopes?

I made it a stickie in hopes of more people getting to use them. MM has a great understanding of their uses and which types are best. I thought it would make a good informative stickie. That´s all.

V

I find it interesting to read also.:biggrin:

anonymousgrow

Organic gardening is one thing but I feel like a microscope is necessary for compost and compost tea. More than likely if someone just follow the recipes found on this and other sites he or she won't kill the plants. if one is just seeking to copy other, that limits one's potential. How does one truly attempt the make good compost or tea without one? I am genuinely curious if people have means of testing the content of compost tea without a microscope.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I made it a stickie in hopes of more people getting to use them. MM has a great understanding of their uses and which types are best. I thought it would make a good informative stickie. That´s all.

V

I find it interesting to read also.:biggrin:

There are also at least 10 threads regarding microscopy in this forum (IIRC).

It is a little amusing 'to me' that some growers are willing to spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars on bottled nutrients which cost the manufacturer 5 cents per gallon to mix up and the latest in light assemblies, CO2 injectors, on and on; yet they cringe at the stupidity of investing several hundred dollars in a microscope which may allow them to see when ACT is ready or evaluate their own [vermi]compost or growing media. [This of course assumes they are using natural or microbial based growing techniques]

Just as some use a TDS/EC meter to mix nutrients to the correct PPM, I can look with a microscope to see if I have a population of flagellates and bacteria/archaea in a microbial extrapolation (ACT) and determine that it will cycle nutrients if applied to the soil at that time.

With a microscope I can see if there are bacteria/archaea, fungi, protozoa, nematodes, etc. active in my soil or compost.