What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Pest/Dieases IPM 101

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can anybody post me a link of the most cost-efficient beneficial insects you can find? Like Californicus or other things that prey on mites or anything of the like. The local hydro store wants $100 per order of the buggers

Look at the thread I just bumped again

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
I'm using Garlic Wonder Concentrate. used as a root drench and foliar spray.
It Stimulates growth and helps make a good healthy root system, creating vigorous plants with far greater resistance to attack from insect pests and fungal diseases. Garlic wonder is both preventative and curative with systemic action.

floral

Care to share your organic caterpillar prevention regimen?

I use Neem cake in my soil mix, occasional Neem cake or other botanical soaks (lavender, rosemary, thyme, basil, cilantro) as a foliar spray, occasional spinosad. Used to use a powder with Btk but have been phasing it out due to concern for bees - but I know it's really good for caterpillars.

Basically just use one of these things every week or two unless there are visible pests, in which case I increase the frequency.

Considering trichogramma wasps if it's not too late in the season.

I haven't had major caterpillar problems, but even one of those little bastards chomping on the inside of a nice flower is too many.

Wish I knew what is the best timing for intervention in their life cycle.

Any words of wisdom from other outdoor organic gardeners on caterpillar prevention?

T

The Sensi Rebel

Azad..

Buy some Minced Garlic at Costco for $10 and add liberally into your next foliar tea. You dont need that bottled schmit. hell, just buy a clove of garlic and finely chop that up and throw it in with your airstone.

I agree, Garlic is awesome all-around. Just trying to save you some money playa.

C

Carlos Danger

I'm having trouble finding rates for soaking neem/karanja meal for foliar/drench. I have 1/2cup written but have lost the note as to whether that amount was for 2 gallons or 5 gallons. I'm doing 1/2 neem and 1/2 karanja. Thanks for any assistance.

ozzieAI

Veteran
Any words of wisdom from other outdoor organic gardeners on caterpillar prevention?

using pure neem oil as a soil drench has stopped most of the caterpillars that used to damage my plants...i only get a few these days that actually cause damage...usually i find them sick just sitting on the leaves slowly dying...

floral

Thanks. Even if Neem oil drench works to prevent caterpillars (and I haven't seen enough proof that it would), I would rather not throw my soil microbes out of whack with something so extreme. I spent a long time waiting for the worms to create that lovely EWC, brewing teas, waiting for soil mix to cook properly, etc., so I don't see myself drenching the root zone with oil. Glad it worked for you, though.

C

Carlos Danger

Neem oil isn't that extreme. I topdress with neem all the time, and neem is a major constituent of keeping bugs down in my worm bins. Perhaps I'm misreading but you're sounding overzealous calling an application of neem oil anything as extreme as "drenching the root zone in oil" in direct comparison to words like lovingly crafted.

ozzieAI

Veteran
i hear you foral...i took me time to work up to pouring neem oil on my plants as well...just glad i did in the end.

just be aware that there are 2 types of neem oil: pure & hydrophobic. you want the pure neem oil as the hydrophobic has had the main ingredients removed through alcohol extraction.

you can read my thread on the topic here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....34#post5897334

good luck

C

Carlos Danger

Don't fuck around with anyone but the Ahimsa people over at neemresource.com. They're the best.

Yo Carlos, here are some notes I took from Cootz:

I still highly recommend the use of neem seed oil. Having said that, I bought bag of neem seed meal (aka neem seed cake) and have been making teas with this meal along with kelp meal. The meal contains 1,400ppm of Azadirachtin (same level as Dyna-Gro Neem Seed Oil) as well as the other active ingredients in neem seed products such as triterpenes. More specifically, limonoids such as azadirachtin, salannin, meliantriol, nimbin, nimbidin, meliantriol, deacetylazadirachtinol, salannin, salannol, 3-deacetylsalannin etc.

By not using the oil product specifically, it can also be used on your soils. Especially if you're having problems with gnats, root aphids, etc.

In this instance, the term cake and meal are interchangeable. Neem seed cake/meal is the dried residue after the oil has been pressed from the seeds.

All parts of the neem tree contain the agent Azadiractin (among 60+ others equally important) that provides a defense against molds, nematodes, leaf-eating insects, et al. This includes the leaves, bark, seeds, roots, branches, etc.

The pressing does not remove all of the oil or the active agents. The Azadiractin level of the meal is generally about 1/3 - 1/2 of the PPM level of the oil that was pressed, i.e. if the neem oil tests out at 1500 PPM for Azadiractin then you could figure that the meal/cake would come in at 500 PPM - 750 PPM.

The cake is helpful in any type of organic growing environment. It has a solid NPK profile (if you're one of those who subscribes to that paradigm), a complete micro-nutrient component as well as trace elements, phytohormones (Abscisic acid, Auxins, Cytokinins, Ethylene, Gibberellins) Vitamin C, citric acid, saponin, et al. providing improved conditions for the nitrification process, preventingroot rot and other anaerobic-related problems like root aphids, gnats, etc.

The neem seed cake also triggers a plant's defenses through a number of agents it contains resulting in systemic defense against the invasive powdery mildew issues.

The meal/cake can also be used to make an effective tea during those times of the grow/flower cycle where using the neem oil may not be the best option. 1/2 cup of neem seed meal/cake and 1/4 cup of kelp meal along with 1 tsp. of liquid silica into 5 gallons of water and then bubbled/brewed for 18 - 24 hours. This can be used to irrigate the plants as well as applying as a foliar spray.

I'd recommend the neem & karanja seed meals from NeemResource.com - it's organic. It's Fair trade. It's Inexpensive. It's Effective. And the woman who heads this organization is the most informed individual I've ever talked with on the subject of neem tree products in general.

And her products are from India. There's a lot of neem products coming in from China and Africa. That's not necessarily a bad thing. However, the neem tree industry in India goes back several centuries. The tree is part of the worship of several incarnations of the Godhead including Krishna, Ganesha, Vishnu, Shiva, et al. and it's a part of the culture in the production regions and the industry is tightly controlled by the Parker India Group.

For me I consider neem cake as important as my other 'must have' for gardening, i.e. kelp meal, alfalfa meal and rock dusts.

C

Carlos Danger

Cool, thanks. Same notes I believe - I'd lost the 5 gal. batch number.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I have thyme, lemon thyme, lavender, sage

I am going to source some cilantro, rosemary and hopefully some cuban oregano plants today

lavender oil as a pesticide http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090514083921.htm

I also have some of this http://www.stylet-oil.com/HOME-AND-GARDEN-i-13-1.html which is Washington state organic certified http://www.styletoil.com/media/wsda2013.pdf

it emulsifies(cloudy in water) like neem oil and is used in a like ratio

one thing about plant ferments is the timing and effort so I started thinking about using the stylet oil as a carrier to extract the essential oils out of the above herbs so I can have at the ready a selection of organic oils that can be used in a pest management rotation, i want a number of protech like bottles with essential oils at the ready for a quick mix

there might be pars of the fermentation process I am not capitalizing on but my aim here is to extract the oils that aid in pest management

was reading about oil extraction here

http://everything-lavender.com/methods-of-producing-essential-oils.html

http://everything-lavender.com/how-to-make-lavender-oil.html

any comments or insight would be appreciated

Will post my results as they come to fruition

Last edited:
C

Carlos Danger

Weird I've been thinking about essential oils as well
I'm hesitant to believe there's enough ppm in water from just the herbs to have a real effect. Drive bugs away for a bit, probably, but I don't believe my ground up thyme soak has enough oil in it to retard egg development the way the oil can.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i think the oil will act as a base that will "stick" to pests which is why one thing that makes neem oil effective

i use neem meal tea as well but it seems neem oil applications hold and penetrate a bit better

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
found this thought people might be interested to see it

the herbs listed have links that show you how to use each one as an oil

i did not copy the links over visit the site for that

http://www.herbco.com/t-Natural-Pest-Control.aspx

Natural Pest Control

There are about 200 species of mosquitoes inhabiting the United States, some of which may be residing in your back yard. These and other pests transmit disease, like West Nile virus, yellow fever, Lyme disease and malaria, to name a few. Obviously, natural solutions are better for the planet and people than chemical applications. Natural pest controls are also easier on the budget, while effectively reducing the presence of critters that are bugging you.

Go Bats

Confront flying insects where they hang out – in the air. This fight-fire-with-fire tactic calls for arterial weaponry in the form of bats. Bats are nearly as prolific as mosquitoes in terms of the variety of species they represent, with about 1,200 kinds that grab their meals in-flight. The common brown bat, for instance, consumes up to 1,000 insects an hour!

To attract bats to your yard, you’ll need to put up bat houses in strategic locations. The feasibility of successfully utilizing bats for natural pest control will depend on your regional climate. Mother bats like it hot to start a nursery colony, although bachelor bats will sometimes roost in man-made bat houses found in cooler climates. In any case, your chances of selling real estate to the bat community improve with appropriate curb appeal, which typically includes a secure location about 15 feet from the ground that is free of wind and positioned near wetlands, a pond, lake or other body of water. Beyond these provisions, patience is required. Although bats will usually move into a well-placed bat house within a season or two, it may take up to five years to get tenants.

Botanical Essential Oils

The volatile oils of many herbs contain chemical compounds that naturally repel insects. The oil of clove, for example, contains eugenol, a fast-acting insecticide agent that counters fleas, spiders, cockroaches, ants, flies, aphids, dust mites and several garden pests. Other essential oils that contain eugenol include cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, lemon balm and basil.

Citrus oils deter a variety of household pests, such as silverfish, fleas, ants, roaches and palmetto bugs. This chemical constituent responsible for this is a terpene called limonene, also sometimes written as d-limonene. Characterized by a pine-like fragrance that is similar to turpentine, this chemical is found in the rind of citrus fruits, such as sweet oranges, lemons and limes.

Neem

The seeds of the neem tree yield oil that is reputed to repel more than 200 species of insects, especially immature bugs. Neem oil contains azadirachtin, a chemical that makes garden plants less appetizing that also acts as a growth inhibitor. The leaves and bark of the tree also appear to provide potent biological activity. In contrast to botanical essential oils, which work by killing insects on contact or after ingestion, neem deters feeding and prevents insects from maturing and reproducing. If you have ornamental plants, vegetables, flowers, trees or shrubs bothered by aphids, beetles, caterpillars, thrips, spider mites, or whiteflies, neem is the way to go. As an added bonus, neem also has anti-fungal properties and effectively checks powdery mildew.

Capsaicin

The zingy taste of chili peppers is due to the presence of capsaicinoids. Although there are actually six types of capsaicinoids, capsaicin is the one that is familiar to most people. In addition to producing “heat” on the tongue, these chemicals also burn the epithelial tissue of the skin, the same mechanism employed by the tarantula to inflict pain on prey with its venom. Ironically, capsaicin is an ingredient found in topical creams to address pain and inflammation associated with arthritis and muscle sprain. As a natural pest control, capsaicin is effective against spider mites, aphids, whiteflies, thrips and other pests that attack indoor and outdoor plants. It also deters animal predators, such as deer, squirrel and rabbits.

Herbal Helpers at a Glance

The following is a short list of herbal essential oils that repel pests indoors and outdoors. Use reasonable caution when handling since some oils can produce contact dermatitis. Also, do not use essential oils on pets to control fleas without consulting a holistic veterinarian.

Anise
Basil
Clove
Cinnamon
Lavender
Lemon
Lemon Balm
Lime
Nutmeg
Peppermint
Rosemary
Sesame
Sweet Orange
Thyme
Wintergreen

Herbal Pest Control "How to" Guide

Controlling Kitchen Pests

Even the cleanest kitchens are susceptible to unwanted visitors. Give bugs the boot with these quick remedies.

Ants Wipe out kitchen cabinets with a damp sponge and 6-8 drops peppermint of citronella essential oil. Then place 3-5 drops of those essential oils on windowsills, doorway cracks, and in the corners of the cabinets under your kitchen sink.

Centipedes, Earwigs, and Silverfish Place several drops of peppermint, wintergreen, eucalyptus, or citronella essential oil in areas that collect moisture, such as damp basements, garages, and cabinets that house plumbing fixtures.

Mice Place several sprigs of fresh peppermint between pantry items in your cabinets, or make a solution of 2 cups water and 3 teaspoons of peppermint essential oil and spray wherever you find mouse droppings.

Pest-Free Garden Parties

To keep ants from spoiling your picnic, sprinkle a mixture of salt and ground cinnamon in the area. If our bug problems are in the air rather than on the ground, hang strips of ribbon or cloth that have been moistened with several drops of lavender oil from nearby trees or other stationary fixtures to deter flying insects. Other natural fly repellents include placing a bowl of lemon or orange peels on the table, or using the Shoo-Fly-Shake below.

2 cups lavender flowers
1 cup rosemary
1 cup southernwood
½ cup spearmint
¼ cup mugwort
¼ cup cedarwood chips
3 heaping tablespoons orrisroot

Combine all ingredients.

All-Natural Aphid Spray

Aphids, also known as plant lice or blackfly, can quickly destroy foliage and spread disease. However, the oils, salts, and acids found in this formula will send them packing just as fast.

1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup salt
¼ cup powdered citric acid
¼ cup baking soda
2 teaspoons aloe vera juice
2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
15 drops sage essential oil
10 drops grapefruit seed extract

Combine all ingredients into a large plastic spray bottle. Shake well before using and be sure to apply to the underside of the leaves where aphids love to hide.

C

Carlos Danger

Weird are you using a surfactant to emulsify your neem oil? I've been using yucca extract but the soapnut powder seed to work well too.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i have some aloe but I have some dr bronners as well

I will investigate yucca the shelf life/properties is attractive

Latest posts

Latest posts