What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Real OLD SCHOOL - Cherry Oil

axle2u

i bet that red oil would sell for big bucks now!!!

I totally agree,

in fact I can also add this,
if you were to be able to reproduce the authentic cherry oil
of the late 70s ..early 80s ( I had it several times)

you could corner the market place, in
ALL of north America, nobody has it....

that's not my angle, I want to rediscover the material used,
the process, and the recipe for personal reasons,.....delicious

the shite, they call "cherry oil" that is occasionally available at dispensaries,
IS NOT cherry oil I speak of, that shite is winterized reddish looking oil,
but not cherry oil, and no flavor...
not it ....plain and simple....NOBODY HAS IT....

most people don't even know what it is, nevermind actually had it during the era....I have!!

-axle......:biggrin:

most of the red oil process is lost to my foggy memory and I have long since parted ways with the red oil report booklet, lost somewhere in my moves and travels.

What I remember was soaking whole crops, minus the stems, in 5 gallon pails of distilled acetone. That would be filtered down and the solution would get an amount of Norit carbon powder and water added and vigoroulsy shaked, Then frozen to separate water from oil/acetone, the carbon powder forming a layer with the frozen water, trapping chlorophyls, tolunes and waxes.

Then it would get cooked off in a moonshine still with a measured amount of brandy added. It's by no means a compete description as that is all I can remember and I am not certain there were'nt other steps and ingredients.

yahooman

the shite, they call "cherry oil" that is occasionally available at dispensaries,

thats what i was getting on about...have you considered trying to recreate it?

I've been searching online trying to find any reference of "The Red Oil Report". I first saw the booklet in the mid 80s but it was printed in the 70's. There were many weed booklets circulating in those days, not sure if they were sourced through the classifieds in the early High Times magazines. In the back of my copy of Hashish by Robert c Clarke , there are some pictures of some of the old pamphlets like "sadhu sams water hash" booklet among many others. So my guess is The Red Oil Report was one such booklet.

This is what I did find although I have no clue if this is a legit recipe or just some internet drivel.
How To Make Red Hash Oil

If you have some practical chemistry experience you can try making red oil instead of honey oil. Red oil is not as potent as honey oil, but if you use the same amount (and potency) of marijuana to produce both red oil and honey oil, the red oil yield will be larger.

You will be working with chemicals that will ignite if not used in a properly ventilated lab. Do not attempt this without a proper spark-less exhaust system if you are not working in a lab.

1) completely dry and grind material to a powder. soak material in petroleum ether for several hours, but less than 24 hours. strain, saving the pet ether/oil mixture... pressing out the material thoroughly to get as much solvent/oil out of the material as possible. filter the solvent/oil mixture through a coffee filter.

2) extract pet ether/oil mixture w/ an ~ 4% sodium hydroxide (NaOH) in alcohol solution three times.

3) acidify the NaOH/oil mixture w/ HCl (diluted 2:1 or 3:1 with distilled water) to pH 3. filter the acidified mixture through a coffee filter.

4) extract acidified mixture w/ pet ether three times. evaporate off pet ether to yield red honey oil!

NOTE: this recipe works well w/ small quantities of material.

when dealing w/ large material quantities, replace 1) w/ ->
- dry, grind and soak material in 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol for three days.
- strain and filter, saving alcohol/oil mixture.
- evaporate off alcohol down to ~ 250 - 300 ml of alcohol/oil mixture.
- extract alcohol/oil mixture w/ pet ether three times.

* extract = placing two solutions in a separatory funnel, mixing thoroughly, and allowing the two phases to separate...
--- given pet ether & alcohol >> (pet ether on top) (alcohol on bottom)
--- given pet ether & NaOH soln >> (pet ether on top) (NaOH soln on bottom). same for pet ether and acidified NaOH solution.

* to make the NaOH solution - mix 40 mg of pure NaOH pellets into 500 ml of distilled water until dissolved thoroughly. then add 500 ml of absolute grain alcohol (everclear), yielding ~ 1 liter of the sodium hydroxide solution.

* white gas can be substituted for pet ether (verified) muriatic acid (swimming pools) can be substituted for HCl (verified) lye can be substituted for NaOH (verified).

SolarLogos

I totally agree,

most people don't even know what it is, nevermind actually had it during the era....I have!!

-axle......:biggrin:
Great thread axle, I've enjoyed reading it. I was around in N Cali at the time, but don't remember anything like that, but it sounds awesome! I'm growing Purple Satellite (79 Oaxaca x Pure Nepalese) by Vermontman. The description says it has a strong cherry smell in flower and the color is purple. Just in case you are still looking for material to experiment with. This is a pure sativa and I'm not sure which side of the cross the cherry comes from or if it developed after crossed.
https://www.aceseeds.org/en/strains/standard/purplesatellitestd.html

Hope it helps. I pray you eventually find what you're looking for, I am now anxious to try it too.
Peace, God bless

axle2u

I've been searching online trying to find any reference of "The Red Oil Report". I first saw the booklet in the mid 80s but it was printed in the 70's. There were many weed booklets circulating in those days, not sure if they were sourced through the classifieds in the early High Times magazines. In the back of my copy of Hashish by Robert c Clarke , there are some pictures of some of the old pamphlets like "sadhu sams water hash" booklet among many others. So my guess is The Red Oil Report was one such booklet.

This is what I did find although I have no clue if this is a legit recipe or just some internet drivel.
How To Make Red Hash Oil

If you have some practical chemistry experience you can try making red oil instead of honey oil. Red oil is not as potent as honey oil, but if you use the same amount (and potency) of marijuana to produce both red oil and honey oil, the red oil yield will be larger.

You will be working with chemicals that will ignite if not used in a properly ventilated lab. Do not attempt this without a proper spark-less exhaust system if you are not working in a lab.

1) completely dry and grind material to a powder. soak material in petroleum ether for several hours, but less than 24 hours. strain, saving the pet ether/oil mixture... pressing out the material thoroughly to get as much solvent/oil out of the material as possible. filter the solvent/oil mixture through a coffee filter.

2) extract pet ether/oil mixture w/ an ~ 4% sodium hydroxide (NaOH) in alcohol solution three times.

3) acidify the NaOH/oil mixture w/ HCl (diluted 2:1 or 3:1 with distilled water) to pH 3. filter the acidified mixture through a coffee filter.

4) extract acidified mixture w/ pet ether three times. evaporate off pet ether to yield red honey oil!

NOTE: this recipe works well w/ small quantities of material.

when dealing w/ large material quantities, replace 1) w/ ->
- dry, grind and soak material in 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol for three days.
- strain and filter, saving alcohol/oil mixture.
- evaporate off alcohol down to ~ 250 - 300 ml of alcohol/oil mixture.
- extract alcohol/oil mixture w/ pet ether three times.

* extract = placing two solutions in a separatory funnel, mixing thoroughly, and allowing the two phases to separate...
--- given pet ether & alcohol >> (pet ether on top) (alcohol on bottom)
--- given pet ether & NaOH soln >> (pet ether on top) (NaOH soln on bottom). same for pet ether and acidified NaOH solution.

* to make the NaOH solution - mix 40 mg of pure NaOH pellets into 500 ml of distilled water until dissolved thoroughly. then add 500 ml of absolute grain alcohol (everclear), yielding ~ 1 liter of the sodium hydroxide solution.

* white gas can be substituted for pet ether (verified) muriatic acid (swimming pools) can be substituted for HCl (verified) lye can be substituted for NaOH (verified).

wow....I have seen this recipe before in my travels, but could never navigate back to it, nor bookmarked it, it was lost until now
thank you so much, for your efforts and contribution to this thread...

this is without a doubt beyond my realm, however I may be able to source individuals who can interpret accurately, and experiment with this recipe, and record the results...

it is a huge step forward, in regards to recipe.......:tiphat:

-axle b robot

axle2u

Great thread axle, I've enjoyed reading it. I was around in N Cali at the time, but don't remember anything like that, but it sounds awesome! I'm growing Purple Satellite (79 Oaxaca x Pure Nepalese) by Vermontman. The description says it has a strong cherry smell in flower and the color is purple. Just in case you are still looking for material to experiment with. This is a pure sativa and I'm not sure which side of the cross the cherry comes from or if it developed after crossed.
https://www.aceseeds.org/en/strains/standard/purplesatellitestd.html

Hope it helps. I pray you eventually find what you're looking for, I am now anxious to try it too.
Peace, God bless

thank you for your support, your weed does sound promising yes

im not convinced that the cherry oil of the late 70s early 80s
would have been made from a hybrid....I do suspect a landrace
that was extremely plentiful at the time...
this stuff was made by the gallon, and material used by the ton

my theory is simple, source the material available at that era
I do have a few other strains in mind for experimenting with

PCK....in the afgan/pakistan kush region
(red pheno)
lebenese Red.....bekka valley, lebanon
or possibly pananma red....central america

this oil, was manufactured on a very large scale
smuggled into international airports, that im sure of

I have confirmed reports from individuals that places
the oil in NYC and Toronto, during the era

also, its safe to assume, that a large ring such as the BOEL might have had a role in it, but that is speculation...

all the pieces of the puzzle fits...
too bad I couldn't just ask an old timer, BOEL
how, where, when and what material....
but not ask too many questions that just be rude....lol

even the country of origin,, would be of great help
determining what possible material used
where it was made, how it was made,
is really all one needs to know, to be able to replicate it

and im telling you, you will never smoke and enjoy another oil quite like it....absolutely devine, delicious....good euphoric buzz
looks good, tastes fantastic, smells even better....omg

unfortunately, its a lost art...
hasn't been around in over 30 yrs

axle b robot

Hookahhead

wow....I have seen this recipe before in my travels, but could never navigate back to it, nor bookmarked it, it was lost until now
thank you so much, for your efforts and contribution to this thread...

this is without a doubt beyond my realm, however I may be able to source individuals who can interpret accurately, and experiment with this recipe, and record the results...

it is a huge step forward, in regards to recipe.......:tiphat:

-axle b robot

It's the same exact recipe posted on your other thread by CVH...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8416513&postcount=19

I posted a follow up to that to help you with explaining the steps and using chemicals that are easier to source these days. Really this isn't a hard extraction at all, and similar methods are used by amateur chemists on a daily basis.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8418772&postcount=31

Last edited:
I pulled that *How to make red hash oil* recipe off google so can't take any credit at all. just posted what I found.

I do think Cherry Oil is a specific version of Red oil

I make oil with dry sifted resin using grain alcohol and it always comes out a deep dark red. On a rolling paper it is a dark amber. It does not taste like cherries though.

I've tried making the oil with different material but the best tasting oil that I make is from the dry sift. I'm sure terpenes are destroyed in many extraction processes. An example would be any method using water is going to destroy terpenes.
I'm not sciency enough to know what terpenes survive what solvents at what temperatures but I'm not convinced *Cherry Oil* is derived from a particular strain.

I'm convinced it was added with an alcohol carrier in the final steps of the process. Probably ideas borrowed from people smoking rum or brandy flavored tobaccos.

tell ya what. I've got a couple ounces of red oil in the freezer. Can put an ounce back into solution and I will go pick up some cherry brandy and distill it down to oil again and see what happens.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A couple weeks ago I picked and dried a bunch of stinging nettles for tea. Yesterday, when me and two friends were having a sesh, we opened the mason jar the tea was stored in and took a sniff. We were blown away by a very strong smell of blackberries. It wasn't the whole story, other smells underneath, but the top note was very strong BB.

Got me to thinking about using other herbs along with cannabis in the oil extraction process. I can't think of one, but if anyone else has an idea? If one wanted a blackberry smell and taste, the stinging nettles might work.

Also, I guess it's not a given that all stinging nettle smells like blackberry when dry. It could be the 'terroir' of our yard. IIRC to get azuline in chamomile doesn't it have to be grown in Germany or something?

axle2u

A couple weeks ago I picked and dried a bunch of stinging nettles for tea. Yesterday, when me and two friends were having a sesh, we opened the mason jar the tea was stored in and took a sniff. We were blown away by a very strong smell of blackberries. It wasn't the whole story, other smells underneath, but the top note was very strong BB.

Got me to thinking about using other herbs along with cannabis in the oil extraction process. I can't think of one, but if anyone else has an idea? If one wanted a blackberry smell and taste, the stinging nettles might work.

Also, I guess it's not a given that all stinging nettle smells like blackberry when dry. It could be the 'terroir' of our yard. IIRC to get azuline in chamomile doesn't it have to be grown in Germany or something?

very interesting comments mr g
thankyou...

axle2u

well I tried another experiment last night, using cherry bomb flower
and a 63% jamaican rum, to make an extract....

I knew before I started, that that is low alcohol content,
(but the highest legally where I reside)...and id have water issue to deal with
I managed to make an oil.

the oil was very smooth in texture, (I filtered 3 times prior)
and just did a cold extract with a fan...scraped up,
then heated couple times in a glass 5'r vial...

you get a good buzz from it....but tastes like rum flavored..
so that got me thinking of a high alcohol content cherry brandy,
probably tastes pretty good leaving a cherry flavor in the extract

however , it would be extremely expensive to make
(my 63% rum was $40 CAN for a 750ml)
thereby I conclude, the original cherry oil of the 70s, was not "flavored" as such
couldn't be, it must have been select material and select recipe
to get the red color and taste...

perhaps something to do with an acid balancing ph,
and perhaps a white gas, ethanol, and/or acetone
this is just my speculation at this point
it would have been very cheap to buy in bulk,
massive amounts of cherry oil was made during the era, this supports my theory

still trying to figure it out....lol

-axle

smilley

Veteran
The red hash, from what I understand, is not from a red leafed variety but rather from being processed after the plants are WELL matured. By well matured I mean, they were left in the field until they were dried then brought inside for hash extraction.
If you can imagine a plant dried in the field, I'm guessing you may be able to imagine the color of the glands coming off of those plants.

:tiphat:

As I understand it, the Red Leb hash got it's color by pressing it with henna. For several years in the late 70's - early 80's the Red Leb and Blonde Leb were all that was available here. Little or no weed. I vaguely remember some cherry oil but I didn't partake in it much, if any.

axle2u

well I just sourced, and ordered in from a 2nd source
a different batch of lebanese red (hashplant-landrace) directly out of bekka valley, lebanon

landrace teamsters be awesome.
these people are real gentleman (Europe) to deal with
80 euros got me 12 seeds, they write me back and said
we packed an extra 6 seeds for ya (same strain)...asking that I share any pictures.....hellya I say...lol

look below, direct quote from my email
"We have put 18 seeds instead of 12. Hope you appreciate it and that you'll have nice plants to show us when the time will be right."

I believe, that perhaps the red leb could be the original material used to produce the exotic cherry oil of the late 70s.
and yes, still in pursuit of figuring it all out, to replicate 70s era cherry oil....this would be experiment 2

:tiphat: to the landraceteam, pleasure to deal with

axle b robot

clearheaded

There isnt 1 thing that will make a red oil however i was told the old cherry oil at least from early 90s was ethyl ether. and as elmer said from natural pigments and PH of the oil. it will become more purple more acidic.

sometimes flavors can be phycosymatic.

pure cbd isolate some folks say it tastes like cherrys however to me its more of menthol with maybe tiy bit of fake cherry like taste of cough syrup.

the pigments are same found in red cherries and surely carry some type of taste.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
As I understand it, the Red Leb hash got it's color by pressing it with henna. For several years in the late 70's - early 80's the Red Leb and Blonde Leb were all that was available here. Little or no weed. I vaguely remember some cherry oil but I didn't partake in it much, if any.

The picture doesn't capture how truly red it is. I thought it was dyed red.

Red Leb
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts