What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First timer! Need some help.

whine1

Hello everyone!

I have a walk in closet that I would like to use as a grow and Im wondering what Lights its needed beacuse im pretty lost after all reviews and stuff

Its 2x2M and I have no idea what Lights it needs for this space. Im all in for LED and currently looking at mars reflector 192 but im not sure it would cover the whole area and what ive read it gives around 220+-0 ish Grams? Waste of money here? I would love to try out CREE or quantum boards but then I have to order from NA?

My light budget is around 600€
Im from EU also if that matters.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Or two 400-600s to have better coverage. Heck, you could even use 4 250s for even better coverage.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
with more light, you will also have more heat; what kind of ventilation do you have in place?
are you going to be starting from seeds, or would you also like to set up a veg/ clone area?
how experienced are you growing plants like this?
it sounds like you have a nice space, man and i hope you enjoy every minute in the garden!

mr.brunch

Veteran
I’d say hps for that size space. 2x 600, and some good airflow. I would say that though, I use hps myself!
Good luck whatever you choose :tiphat:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
For a closet grow, I would do LED's. You won't have 1/10th the problem with heat/ventilation that you would with HPS set up. jmo

Lots of LED's out there. I use one Viparspectra 450 in a space similar to yours with great success. EDIT**- I re-read your original post. If you really have 6X6 foot space, you would need more light than a Viparspectra 450 could provide.

Remember this- There IS such a thing as too much light.

Good luck!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
For a closet grow, I would do LED's. You won't have 1/10th the problem with heat/ventilation that you would with HPS set up. jmo

Lots of LED's out there. I use one Viparspectra 450 in a space similar to yours with great success.

Remember this- There IS such a thing as too much light.

Good luck!
:tiphat:

mr.brunch

Veteran
Not quite... 1000w in that space is roughly 50w per sq/f, which is pretty much recommended....

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
It's the correct wattage in HPS for the space no doubt but for a beginner it may be a bit OTT as your feeding, ventilation, watering, co2 requirements will all be a bit pushed to the limit under such a powerful light. They are also very inefficient and you would only need to run an LED for a year before it pays for itself just in electricity over a HPS. my call would be for a HLG 550.

If you want to go down the route of HPS make sure you have really good head room so the light can stay at least 2 feet away and really good ventilation as the amount of Infra red can toast plants alive.

U

Ununionized

You're going to discover very soon that you don't just grow flowers, buds, you also grow babies that don't have any. And all this shit is gonna take up space.

Start the grow out quite small with something like a 250 to MAYBE - but I don't recommend it - a 400.

Leaves space around your grow man till you learn why FARMING isn't a METRO occupation typically.

Downsize ahead of time and worry worry worry about heat, and about being able to use convection to make that heat rise UP - where it WANTS to go - and getting rid of the air in the TOP of the room.

HEAT makes for spindly, lightweight airy buds and for hermis where they make seeds that aren't worth much cause the seeds grow plants that - when there's light modifications THEY make seeds and it goes on and on.

Line the closet with either cheap aluminum foil and a buncha white cheapest of the cheap thumbtacks,

or paint it white several times so nothing in the closet really absorbs heat badly.

Later on you can go up in light size but to start out you should know that a 250 will grow about 4, 5, ounces of weed every round.

Soon you'll be wanting to grow some clones in 18-on/6-off light or something and you won't have room, if you don't prepare for that by reserving ample space ahead of time.

A 250 will keep one low-speed smoker half-ass in weed all the time if you grow, grow, grow.

One hitters stuff like that dramatically reduce the speed at which you're just torching weed around the house and when you're traveling light.

Never
EVER
get yourself in a position
where you're fighting the direction the heat wants to flow. It'll want to flow UP
and it'll heat up everything around those lghts so watch out.

In the winter time obviously it ROCKS cause you cut little vents in the floor of the closet, put some window screen over it to keep the cooties out, and let the air come in from outside, to cool your room.

*MAKE the RISE of the HEAT sorta BE the thing that fans your heat out. Don't fight that sh**.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
The best advice anybody can give you is to invest in Jorge Cervantes indoor grow bible. I think it's 20-30$ but it was by far the best $$ I EVER spend. You need to read this book regular over and over. This will learn you how to grow....what questions to ask and things of that nature so you can get the most from us icmag members. Everybody just starting to grow needs to read this, even if you think you can grow you still need to read this. I've grew 25+yrs indoors and outdoors and still learn new things and ask questions and take advice. I promise if your serious about growing this book will be well worth the investment and your time reading

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I disagree!!! Everything you need to know is on this site. And furthermore, some of the stuff in Cervantes' Grow Bible is of very questionable value in my opinion.

Your mileage may vary, but I had that book and I ended up pissed off that I spent the amount of money I did for what I got. Again, JMO

Palindrome

King of Schwag
More info would be great

Do you have the option to vent out of the room, to an attic or the outdoors?

What are your goals with your 4 square meters and your grow?

If you aim to harvest 220 gram from a grow, you can go with a 400 Watt HPS.
Grow in a corner of your room, and it shouldn't over heat even with poor ventilation options.

If your goal is to grow on as much of your 4m2 as possible, you will need a lot of strip lights if you have little option to ventilate.

whine1

appreciate every comment here been very informative. I'll upload some pictures SOON, Got to find the time.. clean it out etc. I will keep y'all updated! I might order some DIY Cob Kits beacuse i know how hot HPS can be, and the bills if you have a couple of em running....

I will reply to every question later today!

Cheers everyone.

whine1

Gah! Cant wait to get on with it! I have 2 pipes/vents going straight up in the closet so it should be just fine with the airflow.

Idk I dont consider myself as a heavy smoker anymore im pretty happy with 2-3G/day or so. If i can get more than that I wouldnt mind ;D

Yeah This will be my first serious grow so I want to make sure I can firstly hide as much of the good dank smell and make the closet like some sort of a Tent so the humidity and stuff like that dont bother the rest of the house in the long run. Or am I overthinking now?

Been watching Jorge Cervantes Ultimate Grow dvd a few times but I love ideas from more than just 1 with all due respect.