What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

harvest right freeze drier

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
People like Bubbleman and Frenchy, and their friends in Barcelona have spent a lot of time experimenting with all available possibilities, and they now use these freeze driers... This is with good reason IMO, done right, it is the best way, but like the Vacuum Ovens for BHO, it is not a magic box that does everything when you simply press the shiny red button... They are complex professional tools that need to be set up and run just right for that advantage to be realised.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
I genuinely believe that they are doing what they think is best, not what makes the most profit.

Barcelona has a very open friendly scene, but with a serious rivalry between people and groups who make hash. Most of the "rivals" are close personal friends, many for years. One of the leaders is the only person (AFAIK) in Morocco who has chilled indoor drying facilities, the rest dry in fields... etc.. It is not the sort of place for much egotism or bullshit, let alone commercial compromises.. too many expert hash heads around who would simply highlight that, quickly.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haven't followed the Trinity too closely but given the reviews it suffers from early release. The idea and style are very nice.

The bags are top notch. But those washing machines? Why not a bit of product development? A few tweaks (everyone I know who uses them has chopped and customized) and it would be a passable thing. I'd rather use a drill than watch flower clump up in a bag.

Frenchy himself argued for years to long dry plants long run plants. Now an about face, more or less. Why? The market dictated it. People want light creamy extracts, regardless if the browner product has superior taste/smell.

Once a persona is established, a product line released, they are no longer sources of impartial information.

I will say that despite the cost, Frenchy's machine looks to be well developed (partnering with Delta was a great move) and well functioning. I admire his passion and efforts to create a strong educated consumer base.

These are just my opinions in the end. I very much enjoy your own, CC, particularly of late.

Last edited:

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
Yes.. I am pretty close to you on that.. he changes his mind (actually a good sign, often)

I am also dubious of the development time and science behind his Vortex fetish and yes you are right that the market likes blondes more than his brown balls... But, apart from him and BBman, there are not a whole lot of open friendly people to learn from, so I pay attention, while not necessarily believing everything.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like that it is bagless. Before I toss the BubbleNow I am going to add a few panels (to avert crud build up in the many nooks and crannies) and try it without a bag.

Other wise a bloody drill seems to do the job if you slow it down enough. I did see an interesting note from Bubbleman about incorporating a linear actuator (electric motor that drives a shaft up and down, to attach the drill to).

But yes. People like to keep mum. The fools of Instagram will clam up if you ask them which direction they turn their little spoons. They hoard minor bits of knowledge like it is gold, when one can learn their secrets simply by making a few batches of hash.

What a fool a baker would look if he refused to speak of such proprietary information as to what type of shoes he wore to work.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
Yes, I know what you mean about the drill.. or whatever method.. nobody has actually done any proper research AFAIK.

If you set up 10x micro cameras that caught the glands falling through the net and counted them programatically, you could see that, for example, glands stop coming through 80 to 90 seconds after a stir... that a swirl is not as good as a vibrator... etc.. because all we have at the moment is opinions and hocus pocus as a result.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting. I keep coming back to a bottom drain for a similar thinking. Seems like drawing all the water out drags a lot of contaminate that would other wise float. With a tap and clear side panel you could stop before the top layer comes in contact with the bottom, re: reverse skimming.

Like Delp's funnel filter set up. Probably what got me thinking of it.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
My "bottom drain" is a siphon..a tube running in from teh top, and down into a bucket, bubblebag setup, just vaccuming the bottom of the tank, like you do to clean a fishtank.. it is like an underwater vaccum cleaner... you actually remove very little water, but almost all is the most trichome rich.

Done in a black 120L dustbin, on a chair (for height, for the siphon)

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I was thinking... What is to prevent the terpenes from sublimating from the chilling element of the freezer (to get sucked out by vacuum pump) after they have sublimated from the plant material? I made some observations in my cold trap temperatures, in that they might be TOO cold in certain places. So, I would catch terpenes, they would freeze in traps, but then seem to sublimate and get carried as a gas into the next stage, where they would re-condense. Does this make sense?

I was reading that 30% of volatile terpenes get evaporated in the normal drying process, and ive been looking for the best way of drying to preserve these, the claims are when done correctly freeze drying preserves those terpenes, ive also seen the low and slow method in a fridge that is supposed to preserve the terpenes as well but drying takes weeks

Latest posts

Latest posts