What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Galaxy - Landrace discussion

Easy-A

Hey Pastor, the Raziel is from seed I was given. Seed is from the mid 70's, was not stored well and I have not been successful in getting it to germinate. But there is enough intact DNA for it to be sequenced and put into the galaxy. I am open to ideas on how to germ old seed. I have tried scarification, soaking in fulvic acid, different concentrations of giberellic acid plus your standard germinating techniques, all to no avail. Would love to see how it looks but so far no success.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I lost track of the link but there's a video of rob Clark where he kinda admits this galaxy is BS.

Phyllis is about selling $300 tests. Their results look as promising at this point as the DX analyzer, lol.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I lost track of the link but there's a video of rob Clark where he kinda admits this galaxy is BS.

Phyllis is about selling $300 tests. Their results look as promising at this point as the DX analyzer, lol.

But if members here have landrace samples for the Phylos, the test is free if you send them to Sam Skunkman

Yea, the Phylos has too many US polyhybrids on it.
Maybe it will get better when more landrace samples have been uploaded

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
But if members here have landrace samples for the Phylos, the test is free if you send them to Sam Skunkman

Listen, the science is flawed and Clarke alludes to it in the video, the proof is in the galaxy, look at Sam and Rob's test results.

Here's one of three pheno's of skunk #1 that Rob sent in and the Galaxy can't even relate them to each other let alone to Sam's Skunk.
It says all three are unique clones in the Galaxy.

http://https://testing.phylosbioscience.com/sample/genotype/4g79q19o/

I think the most valuable part of all the genetic wisdom in the Galaxy is seeing how much OG Kush was in Sam's 70's genetics, lol!:biggrin:

The other is seeing that not only can it not tell that seeds from the same batch are related it can't tell apart the different cookie clones or the crosses made from it let alone tell you which came first, it says they are all the same clone.

the galaxy is a cool advertising thing but we want a family tree and this thing has no sensitivity, you don't get the accuracy needed from a $300 partial analysis.

When it lumps the entire world into a category called landrace you know this isn't even trying to do what we are looking for here.

Hey, my test has done got some landrace genes in it, we hit pay dirt Jethro!
call the Instagram, Quick!

Uncle Jed there's Berry in there too!
Original Blueberry or pre 96 BlackBerry Kush Jethro?
Who gives a fu(k !!! Grannie get online with this quick, we're gonna be rich!

GoatCheese

Veteran
[FONT=&quot]Here's one of three pheno's of skunk #1 that Rob sent in and the Galaxy can't even relate them to each other let alone to Sam's Skunk.
It says all three are unique clones in the Galaxy.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://https://testing.phylosbioscience.com/sample/genotype/4g79q19o/[/FONT]
Am i missing something or did you?
Actually it shows relation between Skunk-pheno 1 and Skunk-pheno 2
[FONT=&quot]I think the most valuable part of all the genetic wisdom in the Galaxy is seeing how much OG Kush was in Sam's 70's genetics, lol![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Well doesn't OG Kush have some Super Skunk in it, if so, then Phylos really should show a relation between OG and Skunk..[/FONT]
When it lumps the entire world into a category called landrace you know this isn't even trying to do what we are looking for here.
Bit of an over statement, don't you think.

If you wanna talk about this, hold the sarcasm and keep to the point.
It kinda now seems you were so eager to bash the Phylos that you even missed it showing relation between the two Skunk#1s.

But like i said, sure there is too much US cuts and polyhybrids on Phylos and not enough traditional or landrace genetics. MAybe it will get better in time. We'll see.
Peace

Dows

That could just be looked at as shared alleles that are mislabeled/attributed to a newer variety when they are really just shared ancient ancestry. Probably OG and the others have skunk ancestry. Similar things have happened when it comes to incoming information about the human genome. Over time, more information allows for a better idea about the direction of gene flow - what's recent admixture and what's older shared ancestry.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Am i missing something or did you?
Actually it shows relation between Skunk-pheno 1 and Skunk-pheno 2

[FONT=&quot]Well doesn't OG Kush have some Super Skunk in it, if so, then Phylos really should show a relation between OG and Skunk..[/FONT]

Bit of an over statement, don't you think.

If you wanna talk about this, hold the sarcasm and keep to the point.
It kinda now seems you were so eager to bash the Phylos that you even missed it showing relation between the two Skunk#1s.

But like i said, sure there is too much US cuts and polyhybrids on Phylos and not enough traditional or landrace genetics. MAybe it will get better in time. We'll see.
Peace

Read what it says about the THREE phenos of Skunk #1 from Rob and the two from Sam.

it says they have NO immediate family members and are unique in the galaxy.

The fifteen closest relatives are different for all three of Rob's phenos and they don't match SAMs either.

This think is hokum with or without sarcasm, same as the DX analyzer.

Maybe it will be better when they fix their software?
Maybe it will be better when they get more old samples?

Maybe you can't get a correct DNA analysis of a genome as large as Cannabis with a partial test and an algorithm?
I'll stick with that until you show me something useful in this mess.

I'm open minded, show me what you found in here that's useful.

GoatCheese

Veteran
[FONT=&quot]Here's one of three pheno's of skunk #1 that Rob sent in and the Galaxy can't even relate them to each other let alone to Sam's Skunk.[/FONT]

Aren't you saying here none of the Skunk#1 phenos show relation to each other?
...If so, then your claim is false

You can't see the two 1979 Skunk-phenos shown on the "genetic web", connected with a grey line, meaning they are related? Are you blind?

picture.php

it says they have NO immediate family members and are unique in the galaxy.

"No immediate immediate relations" ...right

Ok..
Let's think about a hypothetical situation that the three Skunk#1 phenos were all fairly pure expressions of the three landraces used in Skunk#1 breeding project = one plant very much an Afghani, one Colombian and one Mexican

..how close relation do you expect the Phylos to show between them?

Next..
Do you believe that the parent landraces (afg-mexi-colom) were all STABLE lines when the Skunk#1-project was started?

If these seed lines weren't stable, recessive traits also come into play, and can distort the "assumed" DNA results. "Assumed" because people like you seem to think Sam's 1979-Skunk stock is fairly STABLE, and that every plant is basically a genetic-copy of the nex t one.

Didn't Sam start stabilizing Skunk#1 in the 1980's, while the sample you linked is from 1979?

Do you really think a 1979 Afghani-pheno of Skunk#1 and a 1979 Mexi-pheno of Skunk SHOULD show IMMEDIATE relation to each other?

You're not this stupid, are you?

Genghis Kush

That could just be looked at as shared alleles that are mislabeled/attributed to a newer variety when they are really just shared ancient ancestry. Probably OG and the others have skunk ancestry. Similar things have happened when it comes to incoming information about the human genome. Over time, more information allows for a better idea about the direction of gene flow - what's recent admixture and what's older shared ancestry.

Dows is correct

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
how does a clone have no immediate relations and not Pin the needle on the rare end of the gauge? They might need to calibrate the NovelMaster3000. Those bastards are notorious for jumping out of spec.lol

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I'm a little hesitant to draw conclusions based on the limited amount of data collected. Still it's very interesting good observations Thule. I've heard that a lot of Moroccan strains come from Lebanon, but since there aren't any Lebanese varieties collected yet can't say. I've heard stories of hash makers from Lebanon traveling to India to collect seeds.
My theory is that the Hajj is one of biggest sources of seed dispersal. I would guess Muslim areas will have similar genetics despite the great distances. It's too early to say but it could be the reason there's similarities between SE island Asia and East Africa. I'd think the Austronesian expansion probably happened before the spread of cannabis out of central Asia. The expansion happened when Australia was colonized by Austronesian people, at least 45,000 years ago.
Also, Hemp may come from Asia, however it has been around Africa for thousands of years. The Ancient Egyptians (and according to this article India and the Middle East as well) hemp showed up 4,000 years ago, around 2,000 BC. The 'Bantu Expansion' happened about 1,000 BC. So is it likely that hemp has been present in Africa for thousands of years. That doesn't mean that new strains couldn't have been introduced afterwards.

However there is a very strong psychedelic component to African weed that is different from say psychedelic weeds of South America or tropical Asia. Whereas fully ripe South American psychedelic strains give you a birdseye view, and Asian strains have a disruptive effect on linear thinking (Thai), African psychedelic strains have an immersive spiritual effect (Tanzanian Magic, Malawi Gold, even Durban Poison).

420empire

Veteran
Hey TM.

Can you give some more in depth answer on the "more" psychedelic you talk about? I have heard many say that as a ex. Oaxacan Highland Gold should have one of the most spirituel highs ..? If so could it be the THCV compound? Dunno haven´t tried pure south American or pure African only hybrids.

Peace

Last edited:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hey TM.

Can you give some more in depth answer on the "more" psychedelic you talk about? I have heard many say that as a ex. Oaxacan Highland Gold should have one of the most spirituel highs ..? If so could it be the THCV compound? Dunno haven´t tried pure south American or pure African only hybrids.

Peace
Just to compare, the B-52 I smoked had this very South American psychedelic high, that was true to it's name. There are a lot of South American strains bred into today's genetics, like Skunk #1 (1978) and later.

Smoking fully ripe Tanzanian Magic is more like talking to the burning bush, and it talking back. Someone I knew who smoked it had this childhood trauma of watching chickens getting hung up and slaughtered. When he smoked an entire joint, he saw the handle of the door breaking off and starting to spurt blood horizontally.

The key is to get the resin going and ripe, and that's a factor of giving the plant enough potassium from mid-flowering onwards. That and some silica source, because resin is made from silica plus it is needed to maintain it's health, just like potassium.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway

is the free testing for landrace samples for the phylos or is it for someones private storage and tissue culturing.... preparing for the bold new legal cannabis market?

I'll freely share my genetics with anyone.... except a select few who's motives for collecting cannabis samples are still unclear to me.
none of it makes sense to me after watching the video a while ago with clarke basically debunking the phylos galaxy..... I was like WTF? if it's kinda BS then why are some folks pushing so hard for samples..... one has to stop and wonder sometimes.

gorilla ganja

is the free testing for landrace samples for the phylos or is it for someones private storage and tissue culturing.... preparing for the bold new legal cannabis market?

I'll freely share my genetics with anyone.... except a select few who's motives for collecting cannabis samples are still unclear to me.
none of it makes sense to me after watching the video a while ago with clarke basically debunking the phylos galaxy..... I was like WTF? if it's kinda BS then why are some folks pushing so hard for samples..... one has to stop and wonder sometimes.

The samples he is looking for do not have to be live tissue or seeds, in fact he prefers dead samples.
Genetic/DNA profiling of cannabis is useful for everyone I think. Just needs some time to decipher the data being collected.
It's happening with all species on earth really. DNA science has been going on for years and is proving useful in a lot of different and surprising ways.

Cheers GG

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
The samples he is looking for do not have to be live tissue or seeds, in fact he prefers dead samples.
Genetic/DNA profiling of cannabis is useful for everyone I think. Just needs some time to decipher the data being collected.
It's happening with all species on earth really. DNA science has been going on for years and is proving useful in a lot of different and surprising ways.

Cheers GG

ya, i'll be honest I was quick to judge all this as hawgwash and a genetics gathering ploy by a couple prominant seed makers in our community after watching some of the youtube stuff and the comments by Clarke that Chunkypigs is referring too. I'm old school and really don't care as much as some folks do about a complete family tree of weed. It's a novelty thing to me really.
I understand the value of all of this when it comes to the manufacture of varieties with specific and targetted cannabinoid and terpene profiles for use to treat illness.
recreationally.... I like the see, touch, feel, smell and smoke method of deciding what and what not to breed. Maybe I'm just being ignorant or blinded by my own preconceptions.... but I don't trust a few of the folks involved in this phylos thing and question thier motives. I have no interest in sending in samples of anything while the folks involved are also involved in the sale of seeds.
I have a rather large stash of deep frozen beans dating back to the late 70's , none collected form seed banks and from many well known cannabis cultivating regions.... no way i'm sending samples to the phylos, not yet anyways.

GoatCheese

Veteran

Dried leaf material or pollen is ok for DNA sampling, you don't have to send in seeds. The seeds can also be dead (not germinating any more).

..If ol' Sam wanted to "steal" the few dried leaves i sent in, i'm sure he really must have needed them badly!!:biggrin:
+
+

Is the Clarke video uploaded on YouTube, i haven't seen it yet?
Now i have to see what he says about Phylos.
I'm sure Phylos will work better when more landrace/traditional samples are sent in.

Genetic maps for some African strans are already pretty ok.
It still little messy when if comes to western polyhybrids.
:)

GoatCheese

Veteran
I have a rather large stash of deep frozen beans dating back to the late 70's , none collected form seed banks and from many well known cannabis cultivating regions.... no way i'm sending samples to the phylos, not yet anyways.

What kinda stuff you have there? Landrace or some old legends?
..could be really nice for te DNA project and you don't have to send i that man seeds.

I sent i two lots of Nepalese seeds , bunch of X18 plant matter samples, and plant matter from another strain

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
What kinda stuff you have there? Landrace or some old legends?
..could be really nice for te DNA project and you don't have to send i that man seeds.

I sent i two lots of Nepalese seeds , bunch of X18 plant matter samples, and plant matter from another strain

South Asia , middle east , some stuff from south america and mexico and hawaii. I inheritted and was gifted much of my collection in 3 large chunks over the years by the three most influential growers in my life.
I was also gifted some beans by an old welding inspector buddy of mine recently over the holidays that he swears he brought back from a big job in Ukraine in the late 80's. Friends of ours grew those back then and found a plant they called Alice Ruder. It was a dead nuts 6 week finisher that went around surrey/langley BC for a few years. Kinda like a sandalwoody, citrus little hashplant looking thing.... exceptionally hard to clone. tiny wide leaves and maximum 5 blades. Stems as woody as toothpics... wierd plant and i guess by the name.... a very potent selection from some kind of russian ruderalis..... but those folks with the big time weed education seem to profess that ruderalis has no potency..... I'm rambling i know LOL I have 60 or so of those beans to try and germinate a few plants.... maybe find another alice ruder.
I don't want a lab to tell me what is in these beans, I wanna see for myself :D Now if I had gone to all the places represented in my collection and could say to you all.... this i collected here and it came from a wild cultivar or it came from local bag seed.... Then i would entertain sharing for the usefull info that could be gathered DNA wise. But really, I'm just a guy with a large collection of containers that other folks have scribbled dates and names on. While I know these folks travelled some of the weed and hash locales back in thier youth when such things were possible with good shoes a passport and a backpack and bedroll.... but those days are kinda gone for 99% of us. So some of the stuff I can grow with confidence it is what it says.
Ace and cannabiogen seem to have a plethora of landrace based stuff from all over the place, I'm sure thier contributions or the nierka seed trust folks.... these are collections worth testing for the data you all seek.

Latest posts

Latest posts