What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning - I'm not new but?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
In the time I've been doing this, I've cloned mostly, starting new seeds for better quality occasionally.. I've always used my DIY 3 gallon bubble cloner using only my tap water (180ppms/8.0 PH), for everything else RO is used with the nutes. Success has been about 85%. and most in less than 2 weeks, brainless. I hadn't checked ppm&ph until this last run.. In a couple months I'm going away for a month (could use useful info about Adam:tiphat:) and do not want to start over with new genetics when I get back and think that I can take some cuttings, put them into the cloner a day or two before I leave and they should be very well rooted when I get back. Have a test cloning run going right now and this is what I'd like to understand better. I put the cuts in (3 strains BB Cheese (2 phenos) and C99).
The BBCheese 1st pheno (BBC6) rooted in 10 & 11 days (4 cuts) the second pheno (BBC4) and C992 are a 18 days and am starting to see the white bumps on them. The BBC6 roots are going wild and consider them maybe the best looking roots I ever had.

The ppms now in the cloner are 300 and PH is 7.8.. The rest will root shortly..

Would all (and I know this is a dumb question) be better off with PHed water @ 5.8-6.5? Strain specific I know.. I post this here because I know that the nubies get and need information here from many of the most knowledgeable members now I need it.. hoping the answers will enlighten me and others.

starke

I preface this by saying: I clone in perlite or a perlite/hydroton mix so I don't know that my experience with ph will translate to your bubbler.

My well water is .2ec and anywhere between 7.6 and 8.2 ph depending on time of year, amount of rain etc. I have cloned with it without issue for several years.

About a year ago I experimented with bringing the water to 5.8 ph thinking it would improve the clones' rooting response being the "hydro ph" we shoot for anyway.

In my medium I noticed no difference between phing the water and not. Clones took the same amount of time to root (right around two weeks) and the initial roots were the same in terms of quantity and vigor.

My .02...don't sweat the ph.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
while it is just a cutting without roots, there are not much nutrients in the solution. they need only some mist, i prefer to use ro water pH neutral.. but it has zero food so pH is secondary until they establish the first roots..

starke

Going to contradict myself from one post to the next. With what you are trying to accomplish you would probably be better phing the water. My reasoning being because for the first two weeks your clones will be trying to root and ph is not critical. The following two weeks while you are gone, however, they will be trying to grow as if in true hydro and the ph will matter. Hope I helped but probably only confused.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Going to contradict myself from one post to the next. With what you are trying to accomplish you would probably be better phing the water. My reasoning being because for the first two weeks your clones will be trying to root and ph is not critical. The following two weeks while you are gone, however, they will be trying to grow as if in true hydro and the ph will matter. Hope I helped but probably only confused.
I'm already confused about many things, thanks:biggrin::tiphat:
I do agree that after roots are developed well, if there are no nutes added after a few weeks, those nice white roots do turn brownish. Addition of low ppm nutes does help, long term (more than 5-6 weeks). I dont think it'll affect my dilemma in a month.. the clones I have running now have very WHITE roots but again thats only one pheno (BBC6) is now 21 days from cutting the other BBC cut (BBC4) is just now starting to developing root nubs. This 'is' good for those cuts being rooted and will not die before I get back.. but starting out I'm guessing that it makes no difference..:dance013:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have some left over clones that I have been torturing for the last 6 weeks.

They've sat in my cloning tray with no bubbles, no nutes, and barely any light.

They're freaking thriving! They're not growing at all. But their roots are probably 12-14 inches long and strong. The leaf tips are just starting to yellow off. Honestly they look damn good for not having anything to eat in 6 weeks.

I may feed them just a bit to see if I can get them to last until this flowering cycle is done. Then plant, veg for a couple weeks, then flower them to see how they do.

If I can keep a clone alive with basically water for an entire flowering cycle I'll never toss a rooted clone again. I'll just keep them hanging on until the next go round.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Dont feel bad guys Ive grew for 25yrs and have always grew from seeds. I just was working alot when I was younger and didn't wanna deal with clones....well I tried and didn't have any luck then. Now I'm getting older and wanna keep some mothers. I got a hortipots 35 site aero cloner and I got a couple of fast roots cloners. I'm going tinker these and hopefully get dialed in. Ive also just went straight into solo cups with moderate success the last couple years that Ive cloned. I'm gonna get some radip rooters also and work around with those some.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I just use filtered tap water:

picture.php

Thunk cutting after a couple weeks. I can hold a cutting this way
in a glass salt shaker a few weeks in cooler weather, summertime heat
limits the cutting's vitality somewhat.

I pH'd water for a couple runs but found was not needed.

98% strike rate, I change the water and rinse the cuttings every couple days.

I've rooted up to twelve at a time with no issues. as I grow small scale the
method is perfect for me.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I just use filtered tap water:

View Image

Thunk cutting after a couple weeks. I can hold a cutting this way
in a glass salt shaker a few weeks in cooler weather, summertime heat
limits the cutting's vitality somewhat.

I pH'd water for a couple runs but found was not needed.

98% strike rate, I change the water and rinse the cuttings every couple days.

I've rooted up to twelve at a time with no issues. as I grow small scale the
method is perfect for me.
I have tried this method with little success:tiphat:. What do you mean by 'filtered water'? 12 clones at a time isnt a real small op with 98% success rate.. OTOH it isnt 36 clones at a time either..

M

moose eater

I use a perlite, Pro-Mix/SS Mix #4, vermiculite mix, with a -very minor- amount of Ca added (my more recent settled-upon mix is written down elsewhere in the house right now).

I use either 1" sq. or 1"x2" cubes in trays, under domes, using settled tap water (380 total hardness!!), adjusted minimally with 1/6 or so of an 1/8 tsp of Natural Down (citric acid), with a few added (some of which is -way- outdated) such as Greenlight's root stimulator at 1/2 strength or less.

I get very close to 100% rooting in the trays.

It's the transition to 3"x3" sq. pots where they can go into shock for abrupt humidity changes. So at that phase, I shut off the muffin type circulation fans on my cupboards, and trade air movement for increased humidity.

I recently (and in the past) used a strategy similar to yours. I was taking a trip for a couple weeks.

I, however, had someone to look at, and spray when necessary, my trays. Even with shifting responsibility from tending mothers to tending trays, or both, the perception of 'proper moisture levels' is fairly subjective at that point, so I maintain regular telephone contact, asking questions that, in a crowded room, can be a bit 'off.'

Don't know if any of that addressed your concerns, but that's been my method for clones, and it's worked thus far.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I have tried this method with little success:tiphat:. What do you mean by 'filtered water'? 12 clones at a time isnt a real small op with 98% success rate.. OTOH it isnt 36 clones at a time either..

I grow in small cabinets, flower is 19.5"wide x 22"deep x 29" high.

Flower up to 12 plants per run, average 60g dry yield,
more than I need, so I share and make bubble hash.

Less then 0.5g per watt, but i don't worry about that.

Cost is my labor plus materials. Say 6-8 hours a month.

Less than 200 bucks a month, at 30 bucks an hour.

My water is filtered through a whirlpool under sink single cartridge system.
0.1 EC.

Works for me and mine.

unnamedmike

I use same nutrient solution growth or flowering when rooting. Cuttings root in tap water or RO water, but I avoid ph shock when going to cococoir if i go in this way.

Temperatures around 30ºc speed up rooting process, but also unwanted life, 1 to 3 ml per liter of h2o2 helps with unwanted life. :tiphat:

thailer

I've kept cuttings of plants in ziplock bags in the fridge for a month and they rooted when i took them out. maybe you could also put some in the fridge as back up just in case.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I've kept cuttings of plants in ziplock bags in the fridge for a month and they rooted when i took them out. maybe you could also put some in the fridge as back up just in case.
I'm liking this backup idea, thailer.. thank you:tiphat:

starke

I don't even need backups at this point but want to give this a shot for future reference. Any special prep for the clones?

thailer

I don't even need backups at this point but want to give this a shot for future reference. Any special prep for the clones?

well what happened was, i took cuttings off my plant and a relative was supposed to drop by to pick them up. they said that they couldn't come and to just stick it in the fridge. the cuttings just had the nodes removed and the stem did not have any prep done. i wrapped a damp paper towel around the stems base. i fold it trifold and squeeze out any extra water so its not super drippy. put it in a ziplock and i duct tape mine because i know they're not air tight. i don't know if you have to do this tho.

any ways, he said he was gonna come get them multiple times. that never happened and so i took them out and tried to clone them. i remember having a decent strike. not every strain rooted and it seems that the healthier they were when i cut them, the more likely they rooted. they were pretty limp looking for a day or two but they perked up.

i tried once again and the plants were in the fridge two weeks and the stems were woody, plant was unhealthy and just did not clone for me. So it's not a for sure thing but i heard of others trying it and i was pretty surprised on how many weeks they can go in the fridge which is dark and still look fresh like the day you cut them.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have some left over clones that I have been torturing for the last 6 weeks.

They've sat in my cloning tray with no bubbles, no nutes, and barely any light.

They're freaking thriving! They're not growing at all. But their roots are probably 12-14 inches long and strong. The leaf tips are just starting to yellow off. Honestly they look damn good for not having anything to eat in 6 weeks.

I may feed them just a bit to see if I can get them to last until this flowering cycle is done. Then plant, veg for a couple weeks, then flower them to see how they do.

If I can keep a clone alive with basically water for an entire flowering cycle I'll never toss a rooted clone again. I'll just keep them hanging on until the next go round.
I wanted to update this-

In preparation of harvest, I took some new cuttings and put them into the cloner. But first I had to take the still surviving ones out. Their roots were MUCH longer than I thought at almost 4 feet long! And tough. I ended up cutting off the last 3 feet just to get them out so I could clean the dang thing.

Couple days later and they're still going strong. :woohoo:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I wanted to update this-

In preparation of harvest, I took some new cuttings and put them into the cloner. But first I had to take the still surviving ones out. Their roots were MUCH longer than I thought at almost 4 feet long! And tough. I ended up cutting off the last 3 feet just to get them out so I could clean the dang thing.

Couple days later and they're still going strong. :woohoo:
Yes, I've experienced similar which is what started me thinking about 1 month without too much care while I'm away.. There was only a dribble of water left in the cloner but they were still alive. Thanks for the update.. GB..

Latest posts

Latest posts