What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethos Genetics Thoughts

Americangrower

Veteran
Hey you guys grow whatever you want. I don't grow fem seeds, but if I did I would get them from Nspecta. I like growing seeds with the actual parent in them. If you like growing things like Banana Hammock which doesn't even have Banana OG in it thats your choice.

gmanwho

Veteran
Hey you guys grow whatever you want. I don't grow fem seeds, but if I did I would get them from Nspecta. I like growing seeds with the actual parent in them. If you like growing things like Banana Hammock which doesn't even have Banana OG in it thats your choice.

i hear ya.

Just for the sake of conversing..

maybe another thought, maybe the breeder named it after a feeling, an not because of the parents. ? as most of us would like to see a name expressing the parents, its not always that way. maybe he couldnt come up with a name that expressed the parents, simple as that, an choose to go another way in naming?

simple example's, why is brucebanner named when the parents dont contain bruce or banner? (if they do im sorry as i dont know the true lineage as i write this, just using it as an example)

the same way GG was named. but i guess what your saying is "u cant name it that, the parents dont contain gorrilllaa or Glueish in the name" (miss spelled on purpose, damn censorship)

banana hammock is the slang for a speedo bathing suit. could banana hammock plant make u feel manlyness as you stare at the sea of donkey dicks you just grew? Like your putting your "manhood" out in front for the whole beach or pool to see? your proud an say " Hey, Look at my manhood" without exposing yourself.

not sticking up for ethos naming practice, it is whatever he wants. sticking up for the freedom to name it the fuck whatever u want. One may never understand the motivation others, that doesnt mean its always wrong.

bwell man

It doesn’t look like the name is banana og hammock does it? You’re statement is so misleading. So what bothers you more? The fact that he doesn’t name strains to your liking or you want to grow a strain with “actual” parents. I don’t see what the fuck it matters who breeds a fem seed...a fem seed is a fem seed. You still have to reverse a plant.

Also...would you care to explain why the fuck you named strains dog fart and noisome? Care to elaborate on exactly what those parents are? Dog dicks x pussy fart?? :huggg::huggg:

zif

Veteran
not sticking up for ethos naming practice, it is whatyever he wants. sticking up for the freedom to name it the fuck whatever u want. One may never understand the motivation others, that doesnt mean its always wrong.

It’s shady as shit to name something you sell with a name identical to an existing name, if it ain’t the same!

No one cares if you choose a new name for something you make that doesn’t give away the parents. That’s not the point at all.

You can market a lemon-lime soda as Skrunk, but it’d be both stupid and unethical for you to market it as RC Cola.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
That's the point here some are missing. Name a strain whatever you want, just don't name it after an existing strain in hopes to ride that names coat tails, when your strain does not have the same genetics as the already named strain.

It would be like crossing GSC x Zameldica and naming it Northern Lights or Skunk #1.

Americangrower

Veteran
i hear ya.

Just for the sake of conversing..

maybe another thought, maybe the breeder named it after a feeling, an not because of the parents. ? as most of us would like to see a name expressing the parents, its not always that way. maybe he couldnt come up with a name that expressed the parents, simple as that, an choose to go another way in naming?

simple example's, why is brucebanner named when the parents dont contain bruce or banner? (if they do im sorry as i dont know the true lineage as i write this, just using it as an example)

the same way GG was named. but i guess what your saying is "u cant name it that, the parents dont contain gorrilllaa or Glueish in the name" (miss spelled on purpose, damn censorship)

banana hammock is the slang for a speedo bathing suit. could banana hammock plant make u feel manlyness as you stare at the sea of donkey dicks you just grew? Like your putting your "manhood" out in front for the whole beach or pool to see? your proud an say " Hey, Look at my manhood" without exposing yourself.

not sticking up for ethos naming practice, it is whatever he wants. sticking up for the freedom to name it the fuck whatever u want. One may never understand the motivation others, that doesnt mean its always wrong.

bwell man
Hey brother. I don't care what he names his strains as long as it isn't a Known clone or strain name like Headband without clone being used.
As for Banana hammock, You don't think its misleading to have pictures of bananas in the ad background of a strain that in no way has bananas in it?

It doesn’t look like the name is banana og hammock does it? You’re statement is so misleading. So what bothers you more? The fact that he doesn’t name strains to your liking or you want to grow a strain with “actual” parents. I don’t see what the fuck it matters who breeds a fem seed...a fem seed is a fem seed. You still have to reverse a plant.

Also...would you care to explain why the fuck you named strains dog fart and noisome? Care to elaborate on exactly what those parents are? Dog dicks x pussy fart?? :huggg::huggg:

Obviously you don't get it. He can name his seeds anything he wants, but it's wrong and misleading to use a know clone only strain name without that strain even being used in it.

As for my naming, last I checked there is no clone called Dog fart or Noisome. But if you must know why I chose the name it's because they are skunk crosses. The dog part comes from Loompas Underdog og and Noisome is because I expected Deathstar x skunk to be extremely putrid.

Dr.NO

I'm nearing the end on five Inzane in the Membrane in five gallon fabric pots. They didn't get very big which was disappointing but that may just be the soil mix I used. They are quite odorous.

Running the clones in coco next round so that should allow them to better express their sativa height and yield.

gmanwho

Veteran
It’s shady as shit to name something you sell with a name identical to an existing name, if it ain’t the same!

somewhat agreed.

So i believe it was said after smoking the original "headband" it made you feel a head squeeze, like you where wearing a head band. or something cerebral like that.... when after all, the smoke could have be constricting our blood vessels. an we feel it more in our head, who knows.

so now we cant name crosses after that said feeling of wearing a headband?

or now we cant name a cross because of a smell.

if it smells like banana now you cant name a cross that smells like banana , banana x; because it doesn't have said banana lineage.

How about cherry? If the plant smells like cherry, now u cant use cherry in your name because it doesn't have so an so's first marketed cherry linage in it.

wheres the line drawn? its like we are unintentionally trademarking without even knowing we are trademarking. the exact thing we dont want to happen.

medman trying to trademark cannabis on a t-shirt. so this fucker is trying to say is the term cannabis is now owned.

so now the term banana, headband, cherry, diesel, cookie, glue, is now "owned" is what you, we, are implying. ? we are inturn trademarking our human senses. but we each draw the line differently.

just conversing here.... gotta keep it interesting.

:ying:

zif

Veteran
Sure there’s a line.

‘Headband’ applied to cannabis was a stroke of genius. The only way that Ethos isn’t way over the line, for me, is if he was simply unaware of the cut and repeated that stroke of genius. Then he’d just be lame in not checking if it was in use.

In general, it’s foolish to choose an overly generic name. Look how much respect medman is earning through that douchey move! Which almost certainly will not fly, in any case.

Americangrower

Veteran
somewhat agreed.

So i believe it was said after smoking the original "headband" it made you feel a head squeeze, like you where wearing a head band. or something cerebral like that.... when after all, the smoke could have be constricting our blood vessels. an we feel it more in our head, who knows.

so now we cant name crosses after that said feeling of wearing a headband?

or now we cant name a cross because of a smell.

if it smells like banana now you cant name a cross that smells like banana , banana x; because it doesn't have said banana lineage.

How about cherry? If the plant smells like cherry, now u cant use cherry in your name because it doesn't have so an so's first marketed cherry linage in it.

wheres the line drawn? its like we are unintentionally trademarking without even knowing we are trademarking. the exact thing we dont want to happen.

medman trying to trademark cannabis on a t-shirt. so this fucker is trying to say is the term cannabis is now owned.

so now the term banana, headband, cherry, diesel, cookie, glue, is now "owned" is what you, we, are implying. ? we are inturn trademarking our human senses. but we each draw the line differently.

just conversing here.... gotta keep it interesting.

:ying:

I get what you are saying and I'm not implying that you can't name a strain after how it smells or taste. I do find it hard to believe that Grape God x Mandarin Sunset taste or smells like banana, but whatever. I was just using that as an example its really the Headband that is BS. Especially in fem seeds it should have headband in it. Why not name it something like Head Squeeze as you said.

Sure there’s a line.

‘Headband’ applied to cannabis was a stroke of genius. The only way that Ethos isn’t way over the line, for me, is if he was simply unaware of the cut and repeated that stroke of genius. Then he’d just be lame in not checking if it was in use.

In general, it’s foolish to choose an overly generic name. Look how much respect medman is earning through that douchey move! Which almost certainly will not fly, in any case.

Oh he knew about it because I questioned him about how he could call it headband without headband in it. His answer was because it has GG4 which has Sour Diesel in it so that close enough...lol right

gmanwho

Veteran
I get what you are saying and I'm not implying that you can't name a strain after how it smells or taste. I do find it hard to believe that Grape God x Mandarin Sunset taste or smells like banana, but whatever. I was just using that as an example its really the Headband that is BS. Especially in fem seeds it should have headband in it. Why not name it something like Head Squeeze as you said.

Oh he knew about it because I questioned him about how he could call it headband without headband in it. His answer was because it has GG4 which has Sour Diesel in it so that close enough...lol right

ya im not sure either on any of those. i just know theres usually more important things closer at home then paying attention to what other people do. well ....i guess in most cases.

appreciate those banana og f3 cuts u passed. thanks again!!!
I liked the #3 structure better in vegging an early flower, but now at day 40 flower i feel the #1 is leading the pack.

scored a purple traiwreck cut too that i really really really digging.

bwell man

I get what you guys are saying. I will tell you tho I have grown a handful of ethos strains and they were all fire with the exception of one. People will find something negative or positive about someone and run with it. You chose to find the negative and run with it and conclude that because he has a dumb way of naming strains that you won’t grow his shit. I’m just saying you’re missing out. The man does great work. Try any strain and see for yourself.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
That is a fair point, SnickleFrits. Similar examples include Rezdog, Swerve, Nevil, DNA. It is a tricky bit of terrain to navigate. Rez is a scummy snitch but does that mean I should throw out my Chem Sour seeds? DNA are liars and thieves that sell relabeled genetics, but their Pure Afghan has some legit gems. On and on it goes. I try to focus on the plant, not the person. I love the sin, hate the sinner, so to speak.

But at the same time you permit what you promote and buying gear from someone who does sketchy shit like naming a hybrid Headband that doesn't actually involve the known entity Headband isn't exactly my cup of tea. There are well established conventional naming practices, many of which we have borrowed from other horticultural industries. To basically shit on that and act as if it doesn't exist is not only unbecoming of a supposed professional, but it also makes me question his practices in general.

He has some nice gear, no doubt. Mandarin Cookies is legit. But there are so many options available today that I don't feel like I'm going to suffer unduly by skipping out on buying his stuff.

And if you think I'm being too harsh, go ask a tomato or pepper farmer what he thinks of someone hijacking a varietal name. They make some of us look like boy scouts.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Inzane in the Membrane + Noneya X Bizness

Just looking at that, I'm sure that's not really the vars used in the hybrid. I'm goona do some more digging.

I heard them talk about inzane in the membrane on podcast. Adam Dunn show I believe.

Talking about how quickly they sold out of inzane, just by not releasing the parental info.

Probably just a sales tactic, but it worked on me: I tried to get it for awhile.

meizzwang

Your best bet in judging a new strain you've never tried is to find as many authentic reports on the same strain from that particular breeder. If it's overall negative, don't touch it. If it's overall positive with some negative, there's probably some validity to the quality of those genetics.

A breeder's sketchy behavior or sales tactics is irrelevant: if you don't buy their gear, someone else will if their gear is of proven quality. The most successful companies in the cannabis industry are those who are truly sketchy and deceptive, yet nobody feels their shadiness. Think about the profit margin when charging $100 for 6 seeds, it's unbelievable. Yet this is somewhat the market value for high demand genetics.

No matter what, there are very few strains out there where every single seed meets the description (ie. one out of a hundred will hermie, be a runt, not produce the intended terps, etc), but I think we can all agree that if 95%+ of the seed batch breeds true, the breeder has done a good job. We (the consumers) only feel the 5% poor performing outliars because cannabis seeds are some of the most expensive plants in the world. If it was corn and you got 50 seeds a pack for $3 and 10 plants were runts, nobody would find this unacceptable, they'd just rogue them out. The artificially extreme price tag for cannabis seeds is what skews our perception about quality: we expect 100% good quality at that price.

sshz

420giveaway
Came across this thread....I've been on an Ethos kick for almost 2 years now. At this point I have completed grows on Citral Glue, Zsweet Inzanity, Member Berry and deep into a grow of Chem OG. These were 24 plant grows. I just purchased their "Apex", a Mandarine Cookie hybrid. I am missing 1-2 strains in the list, as they were only a few plants added into other grows here and there.

The Zsweet Inzanity was far and away the best of the strains I've done from them. All my grows can be found in detail on RIU. My only issue with them is the occasional male flower, well documented in many grows and readily admitted by Colin (owner of Ethos). Seed scan be a bit pricey too, especially if you need 4 packs like me.

sshz

420giveaway
I also saw an actual THC analysis report on the Inzane in the Membrane which tested the strain at less than 20% THC, a far cry from the "up to 37%" they advertise. I've grown most the their beans blind, as it's difficult to find a decent grow journal on most of the stuff. Do a google search and many of the grows are mine. I'd love to see some new posters results.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I heard them talk about inzane in the membrane on podcast. Adam Dunn show I believe.

Talking about how quickly they sold out of inzane, just by not releasing the parental info.

Probably just a sales tactic, but it worked on me: I tried to get it for awhile.

They're scam artists face the music... He only sold out of that line because he lied about it's percentage of THC any cannaseur knows that uneducated kids will eat those up.. THC in the 30's makes money I personally don't trust ethos practice would rather stick with the veterans of the industry rather than looking up to someone who will only teach me to fail