What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THC Acetate

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interestingly, as the Ph changes, so does water solubility and we did discover that super saturating the wash water with salt (sodium chloride, NaCl) causes some darker constituets to become neither salt water nor solvent soluble, and to stick to the insides of the separatory funnel.

They easily washed off with warm water later, so they were clearly water soluble constituets. and would have made the oil darker as well.

One added point, which ES touched on in another thread, the taste and smell profile are dramatically changed by the acetalation process. It no longer smells or tastes like hash oil, an interesting trait that all of the cannabis esters that we've extracted share.

In part, I believe that is directly related to the dark tarry warm water soluble mateial stuck to the inside of the separation funnel and the murky constituet that leave with the salt water washes.

While Stark profers that turning cannabis oil into its acetate increases its weight 25%, and that may well be true, we are actually losing weight overall, because of all the non cannabinoids that drop out.

More on that now that we have standardardized our process and I can get an accurate number.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hee, hee, hee, Joe just keeps tinkering with this process. Here is our latest refinements with disclaimers:

NOTE THIS DISCLAIMER:
Do not attempt this procedure if you are not qualified or without the proper Chemical fume hood and proper personal protection equipment.

Sulfuric acid is highly corrosive, and Acetic anhydride is not only highly corrosive, but as flammable and explosive as gasoline. Not to mention Hexane is highly flammable and explosive! You should read, understand, and have ready a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for all chemicals you have.

We neither recommend this procedure or accept any responsibility if you elect to try it yourself.

Materials needed:
  • Face shield
  • Chemical goggles
  • Respirator with acid cartridge
  • Chemical apron
  • Elbow length gloves
  • Fume hood
  • Heated Stirrer
  • Flat Bottom boiling Flask
  • Alhin Reflux condenser
  • 5 gal bucket of ice water
  • Aquarium water pump
  • Pasteur pipette’s
  • Beakers of various sizes
  • Graduated cylinders
  • Coffee filter and funnel
  • Glass separatory funnel
Chemicals
  • Dry Ice in a foam cooler
  • ½ gal 95% Ethyl Alcohol
  • ½ gal Denatured alcohol
  • Hexane HPLC grade
  • 98% Sulphuric acid
  • 98% Acetic anhydride (controlled substance)
  • 2 gal distilled water
  • 200g Kosher salt
  • Baking soda
Basic procedure:
  • Dry your extract in an oven at 220F until thoroughly dry and free of any alcohols.
  • Dissolve your extract into an alkane solvent such as hexane (HPLC grade)
  • In a flat bottom boiling flask combine extract in a 1:2.5 w/v ratio of oil to acetic anhydride. (1g + 2.5mL).
  • In an ice and water bath; add 2.5 drops/g oil of 98% H2SO4 slowly down the side of the glass swirling gently after every couple of drops.
NOTE: This is where things can hit the fan! You should have proper PPE including a face shield, chemical resistant apron, and elbow length chemical gloves.

This again should be done in a certified fume hood by qualified chemists. If you try this and it goes wrong, it’s not our responsibility.
  • Once the solution has cooled place a stir bar in carefully to avoid splashes.
  • Put on a stir plate and begin stirring vigorously
  • Place a reflux condenser onto the top
  • Begin heating until the vapor is being condensed at the second bulb. This takes a bit of adjusting to get to the perfect plate temperature versus condenser water flow.
  • Start a timer for 60 min for up to 10g and add 60 min for up to an additional 10g of oil.
  • Turn off the hot plate but continue to stir
  • When cooled slightly add 1mL (/g oil) of distilled water drop wise against the glass.
  • Vapors containing acetic acid will escape from the top. This is normal. DO NOT INHALE VAPORS!
  • Pour liquid into a separatory funnel, wash flask clean with hexane and pour into funnel. Wash flask of anything left with 95% non-denatured alcohol pour into funnel.
  • Prepare 2 gal of distilled water with 100g kosher salt dissolved in each.
  • Once the water can be distinguished from the hexane begin draining the water.
  • When you are close to the emulsion layer, stop and add salt water until the funnel is almost full.
  • Cap and mix by inverting several times, uncap or the pressure will shoot the lid off.
  • You should have a lower water layer an emulsion layer and an upper organic layer.
  • Continue washing with salt water until both gallons are empty.
  • Drain the organic layer into a clean beaker and place into an oil bath @ 250F until dry.
  • Test a small drop of acetate on a watch glass with some baking soda dissolved in water. If it fizzes, re-suspend acetate in hexane and wash with baking soda and water until it stops bubbling. Re-separate water from organic in funnel.
  • Dry at 250F
  • Re-dissolve in 95% Ethanol and place beaker into a shallow, denatured alcohol and dry ice bath for at least 5 min.
  • Pour liquid through a coffee filter
  • Discard filter and dry the acetate by boiling off the alcohol.
  • Wash and dry 2 more times with ethanol
  • Enjoy
Taken from http://skunkpharmresearch.com/thc-acetate/

Attachments

• Final product.jpg
    Final product.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Washing with saline solution.jpg
    Washing with saline solution.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Separatory funnel.jpg
    Separatory funnel.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Cannabis acetate equipment.jpg
    Cannabis acetate equipment.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Adding salt water-1.jpg
    Adding salt water-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 29
  • filtration.jpg
    filtration.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 28

G.O. Joe

Veteran
While Stark profers that turning cannabis oil into its acetate increases its weight 25%, and that may well be true, we are actually losing weight overall, because of all the non cannabinoids that drop out.

Stark's 25% referred to someone working with a vacuum-distilled ethanol hash extract:
The crude distillate was readily acetylated by the method of Cahn or by boiling for two hours with approximately three volumes of acetic anhydride. The resulting acetate is more fluid than the original material and increased in weight by about 25%.
- Isolation of a Physiologically Active Tetrahydrocannabinol from Cannabis Sativa Resin

...cannabinol (yield, 90% of the theoretical) was obtained as a very pale yellow oil, setting to a transparent varnish when cold, which very slowly became reddish on standing. It boiled at 263-264C/20 mm. and could not be crystallised. On heating under reflux for 15 minutes with 2 parts of acetic anhydride it was quantitatively converted into crystalline acetyl cannabinol.
- Cannabis Indica Resin. Part II

Cahn also did an acetylation with acetyl chloride in that article, so "method of Cahn" is a little ambiguous.

Heating sulfuric acid with natural THC results in unnatural THC.

Olifant

Grey Wolf, I really do have respect for you and I don't want to appear as knocking you, as I'm sure there's more than a few things you could teach me. I know the QSAR for cannabinoid receptors quite well and there's no reason an acetyl ester of THC would be stronger. It definitely wouldn't be more lipophilic in any real extent for crossing the BBB faster. I think any perceived potency increase or rapidity of effect would be from more complete decarboxylation perhaps. Organic Chemistry isn't baking especially when performing reactions on contaminated plant products. One can follow what seems to be a recipe but there's many variables between the lines, the lack of a magnetic stirrer and heating directly on a hotplate with an FBF is very poor lab technique. Use a heating mantle with a proper temperature controller or an oil or sand bath on a hotplate and stirring. It really doesnt look to me like anything was really accomplished. I also hope you realize that no med laws protect you from playing around with synthetic cannabinoids. This is no different from a meth lab in the eyes of state authorities. Look at the punishments for manufacturing oils alone from a fed standpoint even compared to hashish the punishments are highly severe for much smaller quantities. Personally if I made synthetic illegal drugs I wouldn't go around posting pictures on the internet.

Isn't analytical grade Hexane quite expensive?

If you wish to play around with chemical manipulation of THC look at the mallinckrodt patents on making crystalline THC urethane derivatives.

To the post above, I really wouldnt advise using Acetyl chloride, it's much worse than acetic anhydride.

I got a lot of respect for you GW but I got to agree with olifant on this one. I know in your heart you think that you are doing right but many people can possible get hurt from this. This site isn't filled with a bunch of scientists. Its filled with stoners and closet growers. A lot of people can get the wrong idea and you make it look easy. Stoners don't usually read the fine print. I'm not saying that your product is harmful but as much as I love thc, I would test it. Be carefully what you teach here. Next thing you know we will have hundreds of stoners trying this out and getting hurt.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a lot of respect for you GW but I got to agree with olifant on this one. I know in your heart you think that you are doing right but many people can possible get hurt from this. This site isn't filled with a bunch of scientists. Its filled with stoners and closet growers. A lot of people can get the wrong idea and you make it look easy. Stoners don't usually read the fine print. I'm not saying that your product is harmful but as much as I love thc, I would test it. Be carefully what you teach here. Next thing you know we will have hundreds of stoners trying this out and getting hurt.

Thanks for the good thoughts, but lets agree to disagree with things in perspective.

There is no limit to the list of subjects that I could say the same thing about, but then that would take us back to the dark ages...............

Keep them ignorant, or enlighten them, isn't that really the question?

While I make it sound easy, it is easy with the equipment and procedures that I've outlined, you just have to pay attention to details to win. I believe I also pointed out the things they should be paying attention to.

Please feel free to add anything that I missed, but I am unmoved in my belief that enlightenment trumps barefoot and ignorant.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grey Wolf, I really do have respect for you and I don't want to appear as knocking you, as I'm sure there's more than a few things you could teach me. I know the QSAR for cannabinoid receptors quite well and there's no reason an acetyl ester of THC would be stronger. It definitely wouldn't be more lipophilic in any real extent for crossing the BBB faster.
I think any perceived potency increase or rapidity of effect would be from more complete decarboxylation perhaps.

I can guarantee you that the difference isn't more complete decarboxylation and that the effects arrive, rather than come on. Until you have tried it, as did the test panels reporting my results, I suggest that you offer conjecture.

Organic Chemistry isn't baking especially when performing reactions on contaminated plant products. One can follow what seems to be a recipe but there's many variables between the lines, the lack of a magnetic stirrer and heating directly on a hotplate with an FBF is very poor lab technique. Use a heating mantle with a proper temperature controller or an oil or sand bath on a hotplate and stirring.

If you look at the picture, the hot plate is a magnetic stirring hotplate. We also did with a heating mantle, but liked the stirring hotplate better.

It really doesnt look to me like anything was really accomplished.

I'm amazed at how much you think you can tell by looking. How can I learn to tell by looking?

I also hope you realize that no med laws protect you from playing around with synthetic cannabinoids. This is no different from a meth lab in the eyes of state authorities. Look at the punishments for manufacturing oils alone from a fed standpoint even compared to hashish the punishments are highly severe for much smaller quantities. Personally if I made synthetic illegal drugs I wouldn't go around posting pictures on the internet.

Thanks for your sage advice and council. I will relay them to our attorneys, who don't agree with you.

Isn't analytical grade Hexane quite expensive?
If you wish to play around with chemical manipulation of THC look at the mallinckrodt patents on making crystalline THC urethane derivatives.
To the post above, I really wouldnt advise using Acetyl chloride, it's much worse than acetic anhydride.

Thanks for the link bro! I'll pass them on to our biochemistry student.

Last edited:

pip313

Thank-you grey wolf for all your experienced posts. I know you know that there are people here that are glad for this thread.

Dumbledore420
there are 2 mentalities in life attitude as far as im conserned.

1. the new millennium attitude that we cant do anything and "they" know more than us
2. the 1950s attitude that "they" are people like us and NOT any better than us. We can do what ever we set our minds to. thats what the gov fears most, us refusing to be thier sheep that they can control and herd.

Notice how we are the land of the free, yet we have more laws than any other country? Notice how not 1 goverment in the world gives you a choice in being a citizen. Notice how they "own" you at birth with you being assigned a number from them before you even leave the hosiptal?

my nephew is 3 years old, brittish, yet when he starts working he will be forced to pay us taxes for atleast 10 years. NEVER LIVING IN THE USA, EVEN AFTER PAYING THE UK'S HIGH TAX RATES HE WILL HAVE TO PAY AMERICA FOR THE PRIVILAGE OF HAVING AN AMERICA BORN MOTHER.

I was born in the 80s and i'm one of the few #2s. be a #2

Thank-you grey wolf for all your experienced posts. I know you know that there are people here that are glad for this thread.

Dumbledore420
there are 2 mentalities in life attitude as far as im conserned.

1. the new millennium attitude that we cant do anything and "they" know more than us
2. the 1950s attitude that "they" are people like us and NOT any better than us. We can do what ever we set our minds to. thats what the gov fears most, us refusing to be thier sheep that they can control and herd.

Notice how we are the land of the free, yet we have more laws than any other country? Notice how not 1 goverment in the world gives you a choice in being a citizen. Notice how they "own" you at birth with you being assigned a number from them before you even leave the hosiptal?
I was born in the 80s and i'm one of the few #2s. be a #2

Stop all the conspiracy talk. This isn't about that. This is about the safety of the stoner masses. A person needs to be qualified to do things like this. Sure some people will do it properly but I garentee you that other people reading these techniques will find a way to fuck it up by not having the proper experience. You see all the stoners using pesticides and poisons the wrong way all over this site and its not a big deal to most but it is a big deal and people will get hurt. The mentality, if he did it then it must be OK and I can do it to is misleading and unethical. If GW was a doctor should he show us how to perform our own surgeries too? Has GW even had his product tested in a real lab to know that there is nothing else left behind in the product? Will his followers test the product or blow themselves up first? Shit like this also can bring a lot of heat to the site and I'm surprised they let topics like this ride. Don't get me wrong though, I still have a lot of respect for GW.

KonradZuse

Maybe we should first define oil. My oil is already an absolute without water and has minimal contaminants. I could tell no difference in the potency between it and the budder it produced, other than the handy packaging.

While light years from being an expert, I have converted concrete and oleoresin extracts to absolutes, as well as decarboxylated, isomerized, and acetalized oil at one time or another. My hat is off to Budder King if he has made budder that is more potent than any of those processes and invite his enlightening input.

Without giving away the farm, might you share some insight Budder King, on how you improved the potency from the plant genetics without any of the above processing?

Gtfo man you're one of the biggest experts imo. No one I have seen does as many tests as you. This "Budder King" I've heard is bullshit anyways, claiming 97% , and was debunked. Also most people would say budder has butane in it, but lets not into a debate.

I am interested in this acetate addition. I was also curious how you felt about Hexane oil itself? SOmeone I know said they make hexane oil straight by doing a process like iso where you soak the buds in the hexane, and strain out the oils....

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stop all the conspiracy talk. This isn't about that. This is about the safety of the stoner masses.
A person needs to be qualified to do things like this. Sure some people will do it properly but I garentee you that other people reading these techniques will find a way to fuck it up by not having the proper experience.

The first step to becoming qualified, starts with shedding of ignorance on the subject.

You see all the stoners using pesticides and poisons the wrong way all over this site and its not a big deal to most but it is a big deal and people will get hurt.

How did we get from acetate to pesticides and how is it applicable?

The mentality, if he did it then it must be OK and I can do it to is misleading and unethical.

Unethical by whose standards, yours?

If GW was a doctor should he show us how to perform our own surgeries too?

Why should I not? I particated in manufacturing mediocal prothesis, and we most definitely showed the potential customers pictures of a surgery being performed. Is it a secret?

Has GW even had his product tested in a real lab to know that there is nothing else left behind in the product?

To be left behind, it has to be there in the first place. What exactly are you predicting is left behind and how did it enter the process?

Will his followers test the product or blow themselves up first?

Will his followers listen to your poorly researched and un sage advice or will they put it in perspective and realize that you've never made any cannabis acetate and wish to be in charge of deciding whether they do or not?

Shit like this also can bring a lot of heat to the site and I'm surprised they let topics like this ride.

So now you're the expert on what IC Mag should tolerate on their forum. What other impressive credentials might you share with us?

Don't get me wrong though, I still have a lot of respect for GW.

So you say, but if you do in fact respect me, how do you not respect my belief in enlightenment over suppression of the masses by ignorance? Just like they did in the dark ages!

If you have any specifics, now would be an excellent time to share them, or stop sharing until you do.

I have done the equivalent of showing the folks how to make aspirin and you have turned it into something else. What is your agenda?

I'm no scientist but I just read the msds for 98% sulfuric acid and 98% acetic anhydride and it looked pretty bad to be taken so lightly on a stoner board. I wonder what the percentage of chemists are on this site compared to salesman and stoners. Both msds's say do not add water. It also says can cause cancer if inhaled. Most of the people on this site aren't as smart as you. The point of my pesticide comment is that if a lot of growers can't even do that right how will they do this right. You do know that things can go wrong and other people here other than you can get very hurt. You post up your methods so clear but why not post up the msds as well as all of the dangers. Why does it state on the msds to not add any water or alcohol but you say to add water. Anyway I'm not trying to argue but you felt like this is the right thing to do. It just seems weird. I just don't understand how you could test this on humans before sending it out to a lab to make sure it is safe. Just because it fucks you up real good doesn't mean that it is safe and doesn't contain anything harmful. There are plenty of other ways to get high or pain relief in a safer ways. I really think that most people don't understand how harmful it can be to make this and will not use proper lab tecniques. Do you even go into details to explain what proper lab techniques are? I hope so.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gtfo man you're one of the biggest experts imo. No one I have seen does as many tests as you. This "Budder King" I've heard is bullshit anyways, claiming 97% , and was debunked. Also most people would say budder has butane in it, but lets not into a debate.

I am interested in this acetate addition. I was also curious how you felt about Hexane oil itself? SOmeone I know said they make hexane oil straight by doing a process like iso where you soak the buds in the hexane, and strain out the oils....

Whipped budder may well have residual butane, but my interpretation of wax, is material made by repeatedly vacuuming and inflating a BHO cookie until it is stable in the inflated condition, and then breaking it up.

In my dotage I get confused with all the names for the same thing, and the new things that get bundled with the old. I'm not an afficinados of either and prefer my oil straight up.

Hexane makes a more pristine extraction, but is harder to purge below detectable levels than butane. It is also relatively expensive in HPLC reagent grades, so we mostly use it to refine other extractions.

For extraction, I have soaked up to 12 hours, and you can evaporate Hexane off similar to ISO, but we've had to wash up to three times with Ethanol to get the residual ppm below detectable 30/130 ppm limits, or use an ethanol wash with vacuum thin film purging.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm no scientist but I just read the msds for 98% sulfuric acid and 98% acetic anhydride and it looked pretty bad to be taken so lightly on a stoner board. I wonder what the percentage of chemists are on this site compared to salesman and stoners. Both msds's say do not add water. It also says can cause cancer if inhaled. Most of the people on this site aren't as smart as you. The point of my pesticide comment is that if a lot of growers can't even do that right how will they do this right. You do know that things can go wrong and other people here other than you can get very hurt. You post up your methods so clear but why not post up the msds as well as all of the dangers. Why does it state on the msds to not add any water or alcohol but you say to add water. Anyway I'm not trying to argue but you felt like this is the right thing to do. It just seems weird. I just don't understand how you could test this on humans before sending it out to a lab to make sure it is safe. Just because it fucks you up real good doesn't mean that it is safe and doesn't contain anything harmful. There are plenty of other ways to get high or pain relief in a safer ways. I really think that most people don't understand how harmful it can be to make this and will not use proper lab tecniques. Do you even go into details to explain what proper lab techniques are? I hope so.

I'm no scientist

It agree! Did you think that we mistook you for one?

but I just read the msds for 98% sulfuric acid and 98% acetic anhydride and it looked pretty bad to be taken so lightly on a stoner board.

Who is taking it lightly? Did you read and understand the posted procedures?

I wonder what the percentage of chemists are on this site compared to salesman and stoners.

Define stoner. When the pickpocket meets the saint, he sees only his pockets!

My guess the population of this forum generally follows the same curves as the general population. Cannabis use also seems to follow the same curves, so what is your point?

That a brother or sister has to have chosen chemistry as a profession, to use chemicals safely?

Those that took high school chemistry lab are more than qualified, but then they have to actually be interested enough to invest in the equipment?

The real question is will many the salesmen try this experiment, and the answer is that it is highly unlikely, given the equipment required and Occum's razor tells us we pick professions in which we have interest.

Both msds's say do not add water.

A strong clue that you didn't take highschool chemistry, or you would know that all strong acids say do not add water to the acid, but acid to the water. That is because it produces an exothermic reaction, which can cause steam explosions in your face.

It also says can cause cancer if inhaled.

What is your source? Not on any MSDS I've read. It simply says that it is corrosive to lungs, like any strong acid.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927061

Most of the people on this site aren't as smart as you.

Yet you are so much smarter than I am without even understanding chemistry, that you should be telling me how to conduct my affairs?

What are your own credentials to take such a bold position?

Exactly how smart do you think folks have to be to be trusted to conduct their own affairs without you as a keeper?

The point of my pesticide comment is that if a lot of growers can't even do that right how will they do this right.

Are you painting us all with the same broad evil, unprincipled, uncaring stoner brush?

How do we get from a few miscreantes on the site misusing pesticides, to keeping everyone here blissfully ignorant? Are you ass-u-ming the rest of us can't be trusted either, because of the miscreantes?

Since the same miscreantes exist throughout society, by logical extention we need to return to the dark ages where only the priesthood was educated, because the great unwashed masses couldn't be trusted. Certainly there were no abuses with that system......................

I couldn't disagree more brother and believe there is no sin in ignorance, because we all are on something. I do find the ignorance/closed mind combination particularly loathsome, for what it is worth.

You do know that things can go wrong and other people here other than you can get very hurt. You post up your methods so clear but why not post up the msds as well as all of the dangers. Why does it state on the msds to not add any water or alcohol but you say to add water.

That is because the process calls for reacting the rest of the acetic anhydride into just vinegar. Do you have a better process, or are you l pulling objections from dank dark places?

You clearly haven't a clue what you are talking about from a chemistry standpoint, yet feel qualified to question not only the processes, but the morals of those who do.

How did you get so smart and morally elevated brother?

Anyway I'm not trying to argue but you felt like this is the right thing to do. It just seems weird. I just don't understand how you could test this on humans before sending it out to a lab to make sure it is safe.

That is because you are clueless on the subject. You haven't presented an argument, only your opinion, which I served my country to insure that you are free to have and express.

If you are going to continue to contaminate this thread however, you need to start adding factual content to sway the folks, rather than turn them off.

Just because it fucks you up real good doesn't mean that it is safe and doesn't contain anything harmful. There are plenty of other ways to get high or pain relief in a safer ways.

I rest my case! You are so focused on getting fucked up, that you forget some of us do this for medical reasons and don't get fucked up. Do you automatically assume the same thing for all meds that others take>

You state that there are other ways to get pain relief, yet patients regularly report first time relief for their pain, so clearly you are clueless there too.

We've withdrawn patients addicted for up to 15 years on the opiate alternatives, and they uniformly agree that their life is significantly improved off opiates. Until you have walked a mile in their moccacins, you are again spouting media hoopla and conjecture.

I really think that most people don't understand how harmful it can be to make this and will not use proper lab tecniques. Do you even go into details to explain what proper lab techniques are? I hope so.

I think that most people do understand how harmful and dangerous it is to not use proper lab techniques, but the real issue is that you don't know enough about chemistry to understand what is going on and not be frightened.

Both driving a car and flying an airplane are extremely dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and follow the rules. Are you posting on auto and airplane forums against flight instructors, and if not, why not?

If you had high school chemistry, and remembered even the basics, we would not be having this conversation. Have you never done lab experiments with H2S04?

If you aren't embarassed, you should be!

You also owe an apology to everyone who you just insulted, even if your perception is too circumscribed for you to recognize it.

Not only have you assumed a parent to child position with me, devoid of facts, but you've tried to establish that they are not smart enough to be told and trusted with high school level chemistry, directly in front of them.

You have to be pretty young to still be that arrogant and full of yourself!

nice info.

what would be the benefits or drawbacks of using xylene or toluene instead as solvents? seems like xylene is quite readily available.

Olifant

Xylene is a pita to evaporate both in terms of vapor pressure and boiling point, toluene has similar problems but less so so theyre going to be a bitch to remove below detectable levels. They also smell worse, while all the alcohols smell similar and butane and hexane smell similar, Toluene smells like model glue/benzene, and xylene has an almost automotive chemical smell a sweeter motor oil type smell. I'd look more to dichloromethane for readily available solvent in that polarity range which evaporate very nicely and don't have such repulsive smells, and if I had to guess would say theyre less toxic. Also, I like the smell of chloroform and DCM, but few would agree. It's fairly easy to acquire DCM if you dont mind distilling it out of jasco stripper.

DCM/toluene/xylene would be somewhere between butane and methanol, probably more effective at picking up THCA than butane and better than methanol at not picking up chlorophyll and tars

thanks after reading up on all these various solvents i think im just gonna stick with good ole expensive hexane.

does the acetate reaction affect cbd and other cannabinoids too? in other words do we get thc-acetate, cbd-acetate, cbn-acetate etc?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks after reading up on all these various solvents i think im just gonna stick with good ole expensive hexane.

does the acetate reaction affect cbd and other cannabinoids too? in other words do we get thc-acetate, cbd-acetate, cbn-acetate etc?

I leave that question to the experts, but given the process, it looks to me like the CBD would be rotated to THC, though I'm not sure on the CBN.

i dont see chloroform on lit..i just got some ace from someone who did it w pet ether..hes saying hes gonna do w chlor n acet next time...what do you think of this? any tips i can give him for next run? i already read on ur site not to do more than 20 gr at a clip..
hail gdub..
spreading the knowledge like it should be..
lol @ anyone saying the info shouldnt be released to a buncha stoners..
this is a moot point
some dumb ass stoner aint getting acetic or any chemicals to even start...
chances are someones even thinking about this theyre at least intell enuff to read and realize its a gnAR process...thats OBVIOUS..look at the ingredients...(not to mention disclaimers etc)
its the net, you can find whatever u want online..you saying people here shouldnt have access cuz they smoke weed? lol

yea
90% of the people on the planet are morons, but morons aint gonna be able to source this stuff...
notice it doesnt say you can make it in a bathtub anywhere..

gdub whats retail on acetate if u had to guess...based on what u know of the efficacy n strength...what would you pay for it as a patient..