What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best method to make caviar/ moonrocks

macdiesel

I know you take some high quality flowers, soak/cover them in hash oil and roll in kief.

My question is, what is the best way to get the hash oil more of a liquid to where I can "dunk" the buds in it to cover them.

Mix the hash oil with coconut oil? Mix it with Propylene glycol?

thanks in advance!!!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Step 1:

Don't make fucking moonrocks.

Failing that, warm the oil. Both of those are horrible ideas for a terrible product.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Step 1:

Don't make fucking moonrocks.

Failing that, warm the oil. Both of those are horrible ideas for a terrible product.
:laughing:
mikell saves the day
lol
if i could set a trap in my thread to capture posts like this... i would

Smoke342

Not a good idea to combust either of those things, however mct, refined coconut oil is known to give off a cool blue smoke at its smoke point (350F)
...so much of it in fact you'll be the hit of the party, however it does burn your eyes a bit in a hot box...or so I've heard.

However smoking usually involves temps around 600-1200F so most oils would reach their smoke points at these temps which is when they start emitting alot of toxins and is not recommended in cooking to go past those points.

Have heard propylene glycol emits the worst stuff like cyanide or carcinogens or something...maybe a resident chemist or expert can enlighten us. However the same people giving this advice would argue agaisnt combustion flower or hash oil for the same reasons so who is to say that one thing is worse than the other, aside from noticing things like burning eyes lol...

I just know adding vegetal glycerin or polypropylene to flower makes it taste gross I wouldn't do it.

Maybe refined hemp oil would be alright?

Terpenes...already present in flower but in low ratios, could possibly have ones that release bad stuff if you reach too high a concentration on top of not knowing what other additives are present or left over from the isolation, although perhaps using the steam distilling or short path or whatever they use could yield a clean product not sure on that one. Always good to take a test hit with a drop before making too big a batch as some are just nasty but limonene or citrus terpenes are probably fairly safe.

I am sure there is probably a million different esters or organic compounds that may work or be similar to terpenes but I have no experience in this matter.

macdiesel

Not a good idea to combust either of those things, however mct, refined coconut oil is known to give off a cool blue smoke at its smoke point (350F)
...so much of it in fact you'll be the hit of the party, however it does burn your eyes a bit in a hot box...or so I've heard.

However smoking usually involves temps around 600-1200F so most oils would reach their smoke points at these temps which is when they start emitting alot of toxins and is not recommended in cooking to go past those points.

Have heard propylene glycol emits the worst stuff like cyanide or carcinogens or something...maybe a resident chemist or expert can enlighten us. However the same people giving this advice would argue agaisnt combustion flower or hash oil for the same reasons so who is to say that one thing is worse than the other, aside from noticing things like burning eyes lol...

I just know adding vegetal glycerin or polypropylene to flower makes it taste gross I wouldn't do it.

Maybe refined hemp oil would be alright?

Terpenes...already present in flower but in low ratios, could possibly have ones that release bad stuff if you reach too high a concentration on top of not knowing what other additives are present or left over from the isolation, although perhaps using the steam distilling or short path or whatever they use could yield a clean product not sure on that one. Always good to take a test hit with a drop before making too big a batch as some are just nasty but limonene or citrus terpenes are probably fairly safe.

I am sure there is probably a million different esters or organic compounds that may work or be similar to terpenes but I have no experience in this matter.

Thanks for the intelligent answer. I obviously don't know, so that's why I asked. Thanks for not being a dbag like those other tools in this thread.

Smoke342

For sure it's somewhat of a taboo subject as people often think your trying to cut your oil and "rip" people off while others prefer cannabis in its natural state...

But Terpenes are more responsible for the type of high than anything else...for example have over .5% Myrcene it's going to be indica affects, less than .5% sativa, so you can actually make some of the most sedative meds around by going heavy on the Myrcene, nerolidol and Linalool...

I have had some customers love flavorings/ terpenes enhancements and others never talk to me again, as drug addicts are not always the most rational people...for example try mixing some sugar into a coke heads gram and see what happens when it starts pancaking on em lol...not always the most prettiests of sights.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah you're overthinking it.

Warm the oil.

If an intelligent answer is another seed oil well fuck me sideways, I'm riding the shortbus from here on out. Noncannabis terpenes would ride the price up, not to mention leaving an unstable product likely to effect the outer coating.

A douchebag is the type of person that realized one day they could sell fuzzy flower covered in black oil and green sift to the clowniest of their customers, probably a mindset learned stomping 8 balls into twenty dollar flaps.

Have you ever tried to roll or pack a bowl with a moonrock? It's a stupid sticky mess.

Last edited:
I do not see why you would do this but if, I would suggest to dilute your "hash oil" with food grade as pure as possible alcohol and dip your buds in that or spray it on your buds.
Then let evaporate the alcohol et voila.

Smoke342

I do not see why you would do this but if, I would suggest to dilute your "hash oil" with food grade as pure as possible alcohol and dip your buds in that or spray it on your buds.
Then let evaporate the alcohol et voila.

I guarantee this idea is going to ruin your buds, anyone who has tried purging alcohol from cocentrate would know that...

So for a little summary, so far we have had two sacarcastic supercillious douche bag responsers...one person presenting usefully information then we had one of the douche bag responders actually come back and try to one up the useful information in a condescending and self righteous tone, and now we have this troll showing up giving advice that is sure to ruin any flower his method is used on...great :dance013:

I guarantee this idea is going to ruin your buds, anyone who has tried purging alcohol from cocentrate would know that...

I thought winterizing was done with alcohol (ethanol).

But you are right I haven't tried myself.

I can guarantee that refined hemp seed oil smoked tastes gross too tough.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We simply dipped buds in warm oil and rolled them in kif for Dino's birthday party. Potent, but not smooth and had everyone in the room hacking at once.

Attachments

• Caviar.jpg
    Caviar.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 32

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my preference is to mix weed and hash(s) in their final smoking vessel

i like rolling joints, running a snake of hash down the middle, sprinkle w keif... same can be done to a bong-rip or bowl-pack

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

So for a little summary, so far we have had two sacarcastic supercillious douche bag responsers...one person presenting usefully information then we had one of the douche bag responders actually come back and try to one up the useful information in a condescending and self righteous tone, and now we have this troll showing up giving advice that is sure to ruin any flower his method is used on...great :dance013:

Yeah your right, hemp seed oil was the best answer.

Somehow I imagine baking soda plays a part.

I get a laugh at how many people fold concentrates in flaps. Certainly explains the high standards this industry is known for.

This type of malarkey is fit for Reddit, although I also take pleasure in trolling size 13 red leather ideas over there too.

macdiesel

For sure it's somewhat of a taboo subject as people often think your trying to cut your oil and "rip" people off while others prefer cannabis in its natural state...

Thanks man. I never considered that people would be doing it to cut their product.

macdiesel

Damn man. Couldn't have said it better myself. Spot on!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Phineas' idea for food grade alcohol, and the ones for simply heating the oil, are your best bets. Your attitude sucks and you're asking about making bullshit product. Expect a few negative responses.

No, caviar is not some wonderful awesome thing, it's adulterated cannabis. You want to just get high, there are other ways. Is it a way to make extract of crap and soak the buds in, then sprinkle with low grade kief? Yes, this is what non-educated cannabis users go ga-ga over.

You want concentrated cannabis, make concentrates and do dabs or edibles. You want to impress high school kids and lower your karma, make moon rocks.

mobin

dip your grade A flower in d9 distillate then d8 water clear then roll in thcA and cbd crystals, mist with terpenes....

and then just when everyone thought you were done sprinkle some crack on it.
giphy.gif

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dabbing a mixture of Clear concentrate and THCa crystals gives a nice bump without the harshness.

Live Resin mixed with THCa crystals is more flavorful, but harsher.

Dabbing at low temperatures is easier on the lungs and doesn't produce the free radicals and carcinogenic byproducts of pyrolysis.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
:dance013:
Dabbing a mixture of Clear concentrate and THCa crystals gives a nice bump without the harshness.

Live Resin mixed with THCa crystals is more flavorful, but harsher.

Dabbing at low temperatures is easier on the lungs and doesn't produce the free radicals and carcinogenic byproducts of pyrolysis.