What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

QWISO with 70% iso

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Planning on doing some QWISO hash/oil. All I have available is 70% isoproyl alcohol. What adjustments should I make to the process to make sure all the alcohol burns off properly and I get the most out of the plant material?

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
RD, I wouldn't use 70%, as lanolin is added to the formulation because alcohol dries out skin. Prolly not good to smoke that shit...

Check your local chain grocery store for 99%. The Safeway stores here carry it. With the 99% iso, you really don't need much heat. I put my trim in a large pyrex plate with the iso, agitate with a hand held mixer for a few minutes and strain through a 125 micron steel mesh. I place the pyrex plate on top of my cable box, and it only takes a couple of days for the alcohol to evaporate off.

supermanlives

Veteran
too much water. i have used it before without lanolin. just takes longer to evap off due to water content. luckilly i can get 90+ now

Agaricus

Isn't the lanolin just in "green" iso? I think the clear stuff is just alcohol and water.

I've seen a process called "salting" to get the water out, just googled it and it's pretty easy. The disadvantage is that there may be a little salt residue in the alcohol. I don't know if this would be a problem.

It's just mixing the 70% with a bunch of salt, let it stand so the layers separate then carefully take the clear top layer off the cloudy bottom layer with the salt. The clear stuff is high-test iso. And use non-iodized salt, for some reason the iodine isn't good, maybe it stays in solution in the alky?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
You're making topicals... right?

If not, do yourself a favor and spring the extra dough for some ethanol. Everclear is readily available in most states... try to find something comparable. 95% ethanol, 5% water.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
thanks for the replies. Think I might try the salt separation technique. I should have mentioned that it is impossible in my location to get Isopropyl (or anything else) higher than 70% solution.

Wish I could just 'pop' down to my local Safeway and purchase some 99% iso but that would include several thousand miles worth of travel and crossing many international borders.

It is blue iso btw - no lanolin.

Will extending the drying process from 24 hours to say 72 hours work or should I dry for even longer?

Either way thanks for the help.

al-k-mist

WAIT
supermanlives is right, it is the water content.
ITS NOT SALT
salting is to make water more polar in an extraction, to squeeze alkaloids out
EPSOM SALTS, which is mgso4-h2o7- Can be baked for 45 minutes at 400 deg in the oven. This will make mgso4- magnesium sulfate- which can be added to the jar of iso, shaken, decanted, and repeated then filtered. this will dry your iso or even 151 ethanol, into 99%
Good luck, google "drying isopropyl alcohol with mgso4" for grater detail

al-k-mist

Table salt, NaCl, wont work, I dont think. It saturates water at thirty somethin grams per 100ml, but I dont thinnk it will absorb water...that much

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I think it separates it through density differences, although I could be wrong.

TGT

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
So I ran a batch of QWISO 70%. Now been drying for 4 days. Have 3 washes. The last and darkest pic is the 3rd wash. I tried the 3rd wash in a household blender instead of manually shaking like on the previous 2 washes.

It turned the whole weed mixture into kind of a green broth that solidified as something resembling stuck together grass clippings. I threw them out although I was tempted to use them for cooking.

80g of trim so I figure 4g of hash/oil will be fine.Drying has been very slow this time. Will take a week at least.

This was mainly early flower trim with veg and later flower mixed in too. Everything up to the 7 week flower mark basically.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 23

Izoc666

So I ran a batch of QWISO 70%. Now been drying for 4 days. Have 3 washes. The last and darkest pic is the 3rd wash. I tried the 3rd wash in a household blender instead of manually shaking like on the previous 2 washes.

It turned the whole weed mixture into kind of a green broth that solidified as something resembling stuck together grass clippings. I threw them out although I was tempted to use them for cooking.

80g of trim so I figure 4g of hash/oil will be fine.Drying has been very slow this time. Will take a week at least.

This was mainly early flower trim with veg and later flower mixed in too. Everything up to the 7 week flower mark basically.

Not bad !

Im wondering if you have Walmart stores in your area ? they always have 97% Isopropyl .

I found it helped to evaporate off quickly by place heat pad ( I use for my back pain) under the dish and i use fan on low setting , all the ISO will be gone in a few hours.

Peace.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're making topicals... right?

If not, do yourself a favor and spring the extra dough for some ethanol. Everclear is readily available in most states... try to find something comparable. 95% ethanol, 5% water.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

What about using surgical alcohol which is a mix of ethanol & methanol??

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
By the way can I just report back on this thread.....

Please folks do not use 70% iso. It is not nice result. Effect is like deep headache behind the eyes. I ended up throwing most of it away which quite frankly was the right thing to do I think.

It tasted very 'dirty.' I'd say if there is not at least 96% iso available, ice water extraction is cleaner and safer.

killa-bud

Veteran
70 iso is fine,if it's pure...obviously the less water the better,but you could make it work

i don't like the fact that you said it was blue...now it may just be a dye or something,but even then,that's not something you should smoke..

the reason your final product was so "green" and generally unpleasant is you allowed the alcohol to leech the plant chlorophyll...your trim and alcohol should not be in contact with each other for more than 20 seconds.

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
70 iso is fine,if it's pure...obviously the less water the better,but you could make it work

i don't like the fact that you said it was blue...now it may just be a dye or something,but even then,that's not something you should smoke..

the reason your final product was so "green" and generally unpleasant is you allowed the alcohol to leech the plant chlorophyll...your trim and alcohol should not be in contact with each other for more than 20 seconds.

Absolutely right. I washed it too long. Especially on the 2nd and 3rd washes which were the nastier ones.

Latest posts

Latest posts